PDA

View Full Version : URGENT !! Wing CHun differences with Kung Fu

TzuChan
06-11-2001, 07:37 PM
I am so screwed ! Aaaarrrghhhh, you know how I have been waiting for my first practice of Wing Chun right ? Well, the friggin' sifu moved to another country ! I am sssoooooooo ****sseeedddd, waiting for it for 3 months, and then BAM it's gone ... :(

Anyway, I found a shaolin Kung Fu thingy here. But my question is, does chaolins kung fu also practice the "sticky hands" stuff ? Do they also train you for close combat (like WIng Chun) and not to train you to become a martial arts dude who can only show off but not even close to defending himself with those fancy kicks. I seriously don't know anything about Shaolin Kung Fu , only that their temple burned down and WIng Chun was some kind of "leftover" of it :) So if you guys could tell me in short what the difference is, or if that is not possible just tell me what their main training things are.

**** I'm so disappointed :(

Please help :(

Wing Chun is h o l l y

Armin
06-11-2001, 11:46 PM
Hi Tzu'Chan!

Very sorry for you!

Ok. What style do you mean? Chan Shaolin Xhi or a kind of Wu-Shu or something like Hung Gar or another "Shaolin-like" style???

Remember: Wu-Shu is the style that was created by the chinese government (no offense meant! - I know some very good Wu Shu - guys). Chan Shaolin Xhi is the original Shaolin Kung Fu.

Armin.

cho
06-12-2001, 01:14 AM
what's the name of the school? ˇ

TzuChan
06-12-2001, 01:08 PM
"Shaolin Kung Fu"
http://www.shaolin-china.com

Wing Chun is h o l l y

tiger7
06-12-2001, 10:25 PM
I guess you will only see the differences once you start training, but I can say that in Wing Chun you will find a much more stable and fundamental system versus that shoalin stuff.

cho
06-13-2001, 05:26 AM
The choice is of course up to you, but I'd be skeptical of any school brandishing the name Shaolin. Shaolin Kung Fu is a VERY broad range of kung fu. Ask exactly which style. If they say they do everything, then I'd look elsewhere.

lotusleaf
07-22-2001, 11:36 PM
I trained in shaolin wushu for about 3 months just because the sifu was holding self defence classes. I ended up learning a lot of sticky hand applications, as well as some of the more traditional techniques but applied to street fighting/self defence. A lot of what this system has applies to sticky hands. You have to be able to control the person's punch or kick or advance with it.