PDA

View Full Version : You know what thread we haven't had in a while?

IronFist
05-01-2004, 05:10 PM
"What the heck? I thought this forum was supposed to be for Kung Fu training. All you guys talk about is weightlifting! What is wrong with you people?"

:D

fa_jing
05-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Why Kung Fu when you can lift weights?

Ar.

Losttrak
05-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Some people are fixated with strength as if its the end-all. Its not.

Vash
05-02-2004, 06:47 AM
But it doesn't hurt.

IronFist
05-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Uh-oh. I think some people might have been taking me seriously.

WinterPalm
05-02-2004, 01:17 PM
It's a good topic but I think it might come from a clash of cultures. In Kung Fu you are doing a move 10,000 times to perfect it. Over and over again, but in our culture, American I'll say, the opposite has always been true with a fixation on image and not on function. I definately think that strength training of any sort will benefit your kung fu and the reverse, I just started a job that is manual labor and find I am using my whole body to do things which has a great carry over to kung fu. I think the problem most people have, which is definately a misconception, is that doing a couple sets of weights will make you look like Ronny Coleman. Not true but I think that if kung fu is your desire and passion, weights should stay in the realm of compound movements relating to either powerlifting or olympic style lifts.

David Jamieson
05-02-2004, 01:32 PM
kungfu and weightlifting techs are no strangers.

stone locks for instance have been used at shaolin temple...well forever!

iron and brass rings are weights that are used in tandom with the forms of kungfu styles.

leg weights and all sorts of other external weight devices have been used with kungfu practice for centuries.

just not your regular dumbells and such, which when used properly can be much more effective than some of teh more primitivce methods of weight lifting used in kungfu training.

mind you, weapons training is a very refined set of techniques specific to the weapon you're using, but again, it is learning to handle the extension of the self that is teh weapon and that is weight added.

carrying millstones, pulling fully laden carts, picking rocks, carrying water etc etc etc. These are all primitive forms of weight training that added strength to the kungfu practitioner.

There really is nothing wrong or adverse about lifting weights in tandem with your kungfu practice. Just be mindful to not over do the weight lifting to the detriment of your martial arts practice. For instance get lifting so much you pull something or tire out a muscle set too much to get an effective kungfu workout down.

balance! It's key.

cheers

Toby
05-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by WinterPalm
... with a fixation on image and not on function.

... weights should stay in the realm of compound movements relating to either powerlifting or olympic style lifts.
You don't come here much, do you? :p

stubbs
05-03-2004, 04:39 AM
i love kung fu and martial arts but i think most confrontations will either be when im drunk or it'll be over before i know it because somebody's whacked me round the head to get my wallet or something. weight training gives me a little bit of body armour. i know this is looking at it to the extreme, but look at my Mariusz Pudzianowski's thread, if i was to punch or kick him i think it'd barely tickle him!

weight training's also easier to see continual results. the weight you lift will go up or you'll be able to lift more reps or you'll lose/put weight and so forth. in kung fu it isn't so easy to measure your gains.
________
No2 vaporizers (http://no2vaporizers.com)

ElPietro
05-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Which stance will help me work my inner chest? :confused:

bungle
05-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Some folks think it impedes the flow of Chi. I think it definately reduces flexibility after a point agility, and range of motion.

Probaly depends on the style of martial art you do. A hard external sort then it is probaly good stuff.

Personally i like the idea of body control. Like a gymnast and capoeira stylist. The ability to easily move your body how you wish with flexibility.

FatherDog
05-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bungle

Personally i like the idea of body control. Like a gymnast and capoeira stylist.

All Olympic gymnasts engage in heavy weight training.

IronFist
05-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
Which stance will help me work my inner chest? :confused:

rofl :)