PDA

View Full Version : What happens when everyone knows BJJ (or "your art")?

IronFist
05-01-2004, 09:44 PM
MA are supposed to give us an edge over others in fighting. But what happens when MA becomes so popular that everyone studies it? What happens when the thugs become more skilled than the regular people?

It would suck if you got mugged, fought back, and got armbarred.

Shaolinlueb
05-01-2004, 09:47 PM
getting armbarred shows you have no skill anyway :o :p

oasis
05-01-2004, 09:49 PM
we revert to the old days of china and japan...where the best warrior (or rogue) wins :p

LEGEND
05-01-2004, 09:53 PM
"What happens when the thugs become more skilled than the regular people?"

I sincerely question THUGs toughness...most of these guys don't do anything but lift weights for looks. A few may have boxed but do not have dedication to stick with it. Hence the concept of thugs=guys that roam around looking tough. Think about it...if they are training...they wouldn't have time to roam around.

Aaron Little
05-01-2004, 10:18 PM
When there are no secret moves then it will come down to who trains smarter. Lots of people train BJJ (or what ever other art) but that does not mean that they all train the same way.

YinYangDagger
05-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey Iron Fist, if they put you in an armbar just tap out, then when they get up, hit'em with a brick.

j/k :D

IronFist
05-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
getting armbarred shows you have no skill anyway :o :p

Um, so if a BJJ black belt armbars a BJJ blue belt, does that mean the blue belt has no skill?

Merryprankster
05-02-2004, 04:06 AM
Tough guys want to be fighters till they find out what that means.

I wouldn't worry about it. Man, I can't tell you the number of guys that walk in going "I want to be a fighter."

Ok. Never see them again after they find out that means working your ass off, getting hit in the face, etc.

"Everybody" knows boxing but it sure as hell still works.

dodger87
05-02-2004, 07:26 AM
That wouldn't happen. Even if everyone started doing MA, not everyone would have the dedication.

SevenStar
05-02-2004, 09:22 AM
It could happen - for the reason you stated. YOU may not have the dedication. So, the could be the one on the short end of the skill stick and get armbarred (since that's the technique IF mentioned)

When I was younger, most of the people I knew that fought the most (in my high school and college days) and several of the gang members I knew actually had amateur boxing experience. Then there were some who had no formal training but would still spar on a regular basis, giving them some amount of experience. However, as legend said, many lift weights just to look tough. And, as MP said, "everybody" knows boxing, but it still works.

Christopher M
05-02-2004, 01:30 PM
The secret is to train in a really useless, traditional martial art. So when everyone else trains in it, you can be like "You wasted your time!" and then kick their ass because they've never sparred.

Former castleva
05-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Irrelevant concern IMHO.
Cases of "relevant" concern;
wearing a seatbelt,
wearing a helmet when driving/riding a bike,
invent yours.

Dim Wit Mak
05-02-2004, 04:24 PM
The majority, and I repeat, the majority of thug types aren't going to have the discipline to become extemely efficient at grappling or anything else that requires a lot of hard training unless it translates directly into their criminal success. It's easier to buy a gun and shoot the guy who is coming at you to do a BJJ shoot. I used to read on firearms forums how criminals were such great shots. Baloney. Criminals usually don't have the discipline to spend long hours practicing at the range. They can throw lead in the direction they pull the trigger. The one exception to this rule might be weight lifting so they can vent all that anger and hold down their rape victims better, or have a better chance in preventing themselves from becoming Bubba's girlfriend.

I don't train in BJJ, but I really don't think they have a lot of criminal thugs training in their dojos. I think they are disciplined martial artists. If any martial arts school leaves out self discipline and social responsibility, and simply becomes a training ground for thugs, then they will become a political issue and the regulation talk will start. I have heard no such debate to date.

David Jamieson
05-02-2004, 04:55 PM
people who commit crimes of violence are not necessarily "idiots" and to think so is a dangerous presumption.

It is also dangerous to presume that you are better than anyone at martial skill because you happen to study a style that does well in sportive combat.

the street is not sport. there is no bell, there will be no towel, no tap out and there will likely be a weapon up side your head if there is anything within reach and that is if you don't get ambushed.

a drunken boxing/wrestling match in highschool or college does not really measure up to confrontation of criminal and leo or violent confrontation between criminal and potential vic.

Having said that, if everyone diligently trained in martial arts, there would likely be less violence on teh streets and the world than there is now, simply because there would be more comradery and respect for each other.

many people who study martial arts don't have the discipline required to be highly proficient in them is something else you have to consider. just because someone goes to kungfu or karate or bjj class doesn't mean they are good fighters, it just means they go study these things, that's all.

consider that plenty of violent criminals have experience beating people up, attacking people and attacking in a highly offensive nature. This is experience that even if you spar in the safe learning environment of a club that you as a training martial artist do NOT have. Think about it and don't underestimate the street thugs out there.

It doesn't take "discipline" to dump someone like yesterdays hashmarks.

cheers

Shaolinlueb
05-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

Um, so if a BJJ black belt armbars a BJJ blue belt, does that mean the blue belt has no skill?

it was a joke........:o

Vash
05-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

That's exactly what it means.

SifuAbel
05-02-2004, 07:00 PM
I think this happened some time ago.

Then they invented guns................

Ford Prefect
05-03-2004, 09:27 AM
God created man, but Sam Colt made him equal.