PDA

View Full Version : New book Tiger and Crane Set - grandmaster Lam Chun Fai

The Great Sage of HU
05-02-2004, 12:01 PM
http://www.siulam.info/book.htm

David Jamieson
05-02-2004, 01:37 PM
any large difference between this book and buck sam kong's book?

cheers

cha kuen
05-03-2004, 12:21 AM
yes , the large difference is that it's lam chun fai.

haha jk

Fu-Pow
05-03-2004, 10:05 AM
And that's why it's twice the price of Buck Sam Kong's book...:rolleyes:

mysteri
05-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by cha kuen
yes , the large difference is that it's lam chun fai.

haha jk

lucky for u there seem to be no buck sam kong loyalist lurkin around here who may be ready to flame u(yet ;) )

but more seriously, from a point of view, i think that the only notable difference people mainly associate w/ BSK is that having studied w/both the Lam's(as in lam jo, lam chun fai) and also grandmaster Lee koon hung(CLF Legend), his HG seems to be CLF influenced. i wouldn't call that a bad thing particularly as it seems that he has dished out some very reputable fighters and MA's over the years(one notable sifu Don Hamby), however, if its straight up lam sai wing hung ga ur interested in, then i'd highly recommend lam chun fai's book(since LSW was his sigung and all).

i guess u could liken it to u asking for a turkey sandwich w/ mayo no mustard. when u get it and its backwards, u poin this out the the waitress and she goes back to "fix" it. instead of giving u a fresh sandwich, she scrapes the mayo off the bread and gives u the mayo. of course when u get it, u'll still be able to taste the flavor of the mustard. u jus gotta decide whether or not u can handle it.

brothernumber9
05-04-2004, 02:27 PM
lineage is the same, only difference would be on each Sifu's interperetation of what they learned. Not unless Sifu Lam Jo changed how he taught between the two. and also how the book was put together, purpose, detail, who wrote, edited,etc.

SiuHung
05-04-2004, 06:42 PM
!?!

WanderingMonk
05-04-2004, 07:01 PM
lineage not important,, the only thing that matter is the quality of the book.

I read comments about BSK's book as just a picture book with diagrams. He show you the technique and a couple application. But, does not discuss the principle involve. so, the reader is basically memorizing a set of responses from a particular starting point.

If Mr. Lam's book goes more in-depth, such as the body mechanics used in each technique, the principles it embodies and several applications (going from strikes, kicks to joint-locks and throw), then it would be more interesting and much more valuable. other than that, it would not be much better than BSK's book with the exception of better photos (I am assuming it is being done it the 21st century, so every photo should pop out like 3-d figures :D )

once ronin
05-06-2004, 02:08 AM
bro 9,

the big diff is BSK put out his book 1st.

as for the linage it is LSW but BSK never learned from Lum Jo, Fu Hok.

brothernumber9
05-06-2004, 05:12 AM
"as for the linage it is LSW but BSK never learned from Lum Jo, Fu Hok"

you must be thinking of a different buck sam kong

brothernumber9
05-06-2004, 05:12 AM
or are you talking of just the form?

Fu-Pow
05-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by once ronin
bro 9,

the big diff is BSK put out his book 1st.

as for the linage it is LSW but BSK never learned from Lum Jo, Fu Hok.

BSK never learned Fu Hok from Lam Jo? Uh...that's his Sifu and Fu Hok is one of the pillars of Hung Ga.

once ronin
05-06-2004, 04:29 PM
The 3 people in discussion is still alive.

go ask them!

WanderingMonk
05-06-2004, 11:30 PM
accroding to my copy of "Hung gar kungfu" by bucksam kong and eugene Ho, Mr. BSK learned his Hung gar from Lum Jo. If someone wish to dispute that, he/she can go speak with BSK.

GeneChing
05-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Lam Chun Fai - Mar/Apr 2002 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=146)

Buck Sam Kong - Sep 1998 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=85)

I'm sure that the two different masters offer different takes on T&C. If you're really a serious Hung Gar practitioner, you'd have to examine both.

Fu-Pow
05-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by WanderingMonk
accroding to my copy of "Hung gar kungfu" by bucksam kong and eugene Ho, Mr. BSK learned his Hung gar from Lum Jo. If someone wish to dispute that, he/she can go speak with BSK.

Exactly!;)

brothernumber9
05-07-2004, 12:12 PM
but is it still possible that Sifu Buck Sam Kong could have learned Fu Hok from some one other thatn Lam Jo?, perhaps one of his si hing instead? or a different elder?

The only reason I ask is because Once ronin is a Hung ga player, perhaps he knows something myself and others don't, I only know anything of Buck Sam Kong from books, articles, his website, and a little from my sifu who knows him. So basically I don't know anything.

cerebus
05-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Hmmm. I read an article written by Martha Burr in this very magazine about her & several of BSK's other students traveling with BSK to Hong Kong to meet and train with his sifu, Lum Jo. Why would someone think BSK had learned his Hung Gar from someone else?:confused:

The Great Sage of HU
05-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Lam Chun Fai was teaching in his father's school.
So several people, such as YC Wong, Bucksam Kong and Kwong Wing Lam, did learn a lot from Lam Chun Fai - as their sihing though. Lam Cho also taught them and corrected them.

Bucksam Kong moved at young age to Hawai, so in his youth he might not have learned all sets in the Lam Cho school. However, Bucksam Kong returned many times to Hong Kong to have his kung fu corrected by Lam Cho.
So he learned a long time from Lam Cho too, you can check this with the Lam family.
[Info as told to me by my sifu, Lam Chun Fai]