PDA

View Full Version : I need a ~Get In shape plan~ for the summer

mossman
05-02-2004, 10:08 PM
I want to get toned up or basically build a kung-fu body.

So far I have:

-Run 2 miles a day
-50 pushups
-50 crunches

What else should I add to my list?

I am lot looking for huge muscles. I just want to get toned throughout my body and loose a lot of body fat.

Thanks guys

Ka
05-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Follow Crossfit WOD
add your specific training on top of that(intergrated in)
Tweek your diet.
Keep at it

rubthebuddha
05-02-2004, 10:44 PM
scrapper's workouts on www.trainforstrength.com

FooFighter
05-04-2004, 04:14 PM
mossman

I think cookie cutter programs arent really effective in most cases and locker room sciences for the birds. The science periodization is key and often confused by novice. It would help if you study this subject.

In my opinion, you should invest some time in studying strength training, functional strength training, and health/sport sciences dealing with sport performance. Or if you can afford it get some professional help by a real professional.

Fundamentally, you have to know your body's limitations, then you have to set specific goals. In this manner, you can develop a logical and effective program design which you can actually measure and build new future programs. Does this make sense?

You wrote you wanted to "tone up"? When I was a personal trainer for New York Sports Club I heard this quite often. I guess you want to change your body composition. A combination of proper diet, strength and cardio training will do the trick. You have to do your homework on this one.

Building a kung fu body? LOL. I have no idea what is a kung fu body except I have an image of Bruce Lee in my mind, LOL. Hard core Kung Fu artists are primary, I dare say should be, concern with performance or function first and aesthetics or vanity is secondary. Nothing wrong with vanity, but dont confuse vanity with function or function with vanity.

-Run 2 miles a day
-50 pushups
-50 crunches

Your present exercises are developing endurance and cardiovacular endurance. However, I do not see any max/hypertrophy strength training, diet, flexibility, and of course kung fu specific training listed.

"I am lot looking for huge muscles." Me too. This is not as easy as some may think so dont worry. Lifting weights alone will not get you huge. If only it was that easy, dude.

Losing body fat is just as hard as gaining muscles for some. You really need to consider your diet and a combination of strength and cardio training.

I hope I gave you some helpful hints and ideas!

blooming lotus
05-04-2004, 07:47 PM
many of us here are qualified and proffessional pt instuctors...feel free to pm us with your briefg history and objectives, and i'm sure you'll find what you 're needing

eg: ford, Ironfist, myself, maybe sserpent( but be toey because'cause the guys' often more funny than valuable)

cheers

;)

bl

Toby
05-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
many of us here are qualified and proffessional pt instuctors ...
eg: ford, Ironfist, myself, maybe sserpent
I don't think any of them are professional pt instructors except you apparently. But as you know, most personal trainers I've come across are full of ****. First question to ask them? How do I work my upper and lower abs?

rubthebuddha
05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
easy one. crunches work your upper abs, leg lifts work your lower abs. :)

;)

IronFist
05-04-2004, 10:44 PM
I was "professional" for a short time while I was in college.

But it doesn't matter. As I always say, certifications and titles don't mean much.

abobo
05-05-2004, 01:35 AM
I need to get back in shape too. I plan to do it mostly with equipment I have around the house. It will involve some combination of

squats, paralletes, wrist rolling, towel chinups, jump rope

basically I'll be picking up where I left off in March, only a little more so.

FooFighter
05-05-2004, 06:26 AM
First question to ask them? How do I work my upper and lower abs?

There is no such thing as lower and upper abs or a waist line. You are probaby thinking about Rectus abdominis. Your Anterior abdominal wall is divided into four complexes: a. Transversus Abdominis, b. Rectus Abdominis, c. Internal Oblique, d. External Oblique. You can "SPECIFICALLY" work your Rectus abdominis by doing spinal flexion. The common answers of specific work on upper or lower abs is really based on indirect work of the rectus abdominis.

Ford Prefect
05-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Foo, he was kidding.

Parallettes are becoming a new fad. I've been seeing a lot about them lately. Maybe I should quickly publish a book so I can ride the gymnastics wave to big money.

rubthebuddha
05-05-2004, 09:24 AM
foof -- you got a hook in your mouth. you might wanna pull that out. ;)

FooFighter
05-05-2004, 05:52 PM
RubberBuddha,

I didnt understand your comment. I have a hook in my mouth? Does this mean I am a fish? From where I am standing I dont see or have a hook anywhere inside me and I am no fish. Can you explain where you saw a hook in my mouth?

blooming lotus
05-05-2004, 07:39 PM
I think alot of ab tone and shape has to do with spine flexiblity and utilisation...if you can work this from as many angles as you can find...you'll respectively gain tone in front.....experiment and get creative....once you get theflow on new excercies for this section should be a piece of cake ;)

rubthebuddha
05-05-2004, 10:10 PM
foof -- i got a bad feeling i'm being baited here myself, but the comment was in reference to fishing.

a person puts out bait on a hook, fish bites for bait, gets hook stuck in cheek. or, like happened last sunday on a **** smallmouth bass that was just shorter than minimum length, the fish swallows the hook and it gets caught past the "throat." stupid bass. :mad:

our point was that we agree on the no-lower-abs thing. the distinction of lower vs. upper is bull****. we know it, you know it, but the general, spoon-fed public does not. ah well. such is the burden of edumacation. toby was using it as a trick question -- if the trainer said, "well, you work your lower abs by doing this," toby would know that the trainer wasn't worth his time.

-rubbermabuddhamaba (aka david)

Toby
05-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Bait? I only fish with flies ;).

abobo
06-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Parallettes are becoming a new fad. I've been seeing a lot about them lately. Maybe I should quickly publish a book so I can ride the gymnastics wave to big money.

By the way, are you still in that gymnastics class with the 18 year old girls?

norther practitioner
06-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Um, where are you going to classes with 18 year old flexible chicks? How much are the classes?

lol

I'm starting to build a home gym.... so far I have a bench, a bag, and well, thats about it... I need to figure out how to get a pullup bar anchored in a concrete wall.

Any suggestions?

Toby
06-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Yeah. Buy a power rack. Then you can do pullups, squat and various hang exercises too.

blooming lotus
06-21-2004, 07:32 PM
for lower abs at the moment, in comb with certain breathing methods, I'm either sitting elevated, like on chair bed etc, and raising legs , kness bent and together , slight backwd tilt of spine, at different angles and speed..............also for laying variation, kness bent, toes together and pointed downwards for extra difficulty, and repeat, if you want you can stretch arms to side palm down and get a good twist into same,

I'm doing bulk bw exercise at mom ( 'cause I have little else ) and this morning in a 2 1/2 -3hrs sesh hit the sweat barrier 3 x.mainly doing suats at variations, pushups diff angles, tricep dips sitting and from shoulder girdle laying, weight on one foot, calf raises at diff angles, stretches and splits to limit a must, leg raises side , add glute or hammy curl, cat stance leg raises ( or doglifts), rear and or side at diff variations on upper torso angle, ie; half bod down on fists, palm down, arms extended, elbows in etc etc, also doing same angled variations on inner thigh lifts,.it sounds "girly"...but do 1500 - 200 total each leg from diff angles , stretch it out and work your kicks, you WILL notice the difference, this way you hit all those little muscles maers need to develop that can only difficulty be got at otherwise...........

oh, and iso butt squeezes from various angles.usually do 400 total bare min, 100-1200 ish at norm each day or 2, or even 3........work your stretches in at the same time and work it on your bed, in front of the tv, in your car, etc etc, not as scarey as it sounds ;)

cheers

Toby
06-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Eyebrows, you know I hate to argue with you ;), but:
... lower abs ...:rolleyes:

... iso butt squeezes from various angles.How do you do that? I can only butt squeeze full stop. I can't even squeeze one cheek at a time, not properly anyway :o.

blooming lotus
06-21-2004, 07:54 PM
you cant??.lol..........by lower abs, I mean "working the pot" and bringing your lower diaphagm into it....by diff angled iso but exercises, I mean legs split at diff angles apart, toes in , toes out, etc etc....you can get to some great stretches from here...........

Toby
06-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Oh, OK on the butt thing. I can squeeze one cheek, but not in perfect isolation and I can't squeeze the one fully without bringing the other one in. Funny topic.

As to lower abs, I mean no such thing. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

blooming lotus
06-21-2004, 08:19 PM
I was watching this doco ( as all is available here on cctv 9, one and only english language channel) something regarding health, fitness and musculature developement, and it occured to me that the "spot training" argument is maybe not as sound as I thought.providing it's part of an overall regime,....I say this because when you do different work loads and convert or maximise and train different muscle fibres aren't you specifically conditioning that particular group for a specific function and consequential asthetic appearance.........I'm sure you'll argue, or someone else will , but perhaps in future I'll elaborate........

good luck with butt thing :P

Toby
06-21-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm sure you'll argue, or someone else will , but perhaps in future I'll elaborate...I'd argue if I understood what you're saying :p.

good luck with butt thing :P It's at the top of my list of priorities ;).

blooming lotus
06-22-2004, 01:02 AM
lol :cool:

cerebus
06-22-2004, 01:32 AM
I'm LOL @ the # of reps BL says she does.

"1500- 200 total each leg" One thousand five hundred?! Bullshyte!

"100- 1200 ish at norm each day" One thousand two hundred (ish)?!!! Again I am "doubtful".

blooming lotus
06-22-2004, 02:03 AM
it was cumulative and from different angles......just dropped some iron tabs and did some coffee......lol.I get hypo like that :D :p

Ming Yue
06-22-2004, 08:37 AM
hey mossman,

vary your crunch angles so you get some obliques in there, maybe add squats, calf raises and pullups. Train your stances.

I also do 30 minutes of plyometrics HIIT (high intensity interval)style 3 times a week and have seen results in my speed and cardio endurance from a relatively low time investment. Give 'em a try.

blooming lotus
06-22-2004, 08:32 PM
I find if when I do the extremely basic programme I suggested over a couple or more hrs at various paces etc....., I can get in my cardio and make it HIIT....feeling Matt Furey ( for all his bad raves here ) on this score and it's about smarter utiisation of the little time we all have, not harder...........in 3 1/2 ish hrs this way, I can accomplish similar results to me previous 9- 12 hr daily programme..diet is a factor of course, and do fuel up and eat in recovery, but play smart.your body , health and fitness is a 3 sided-coin of the same end...............loose on one, and sell all your hard work on the other 2 short...........

ttp.......the total package ..............

as for training stances.that's just about muscluar endurance, if you do it whilst training various fibres ( strength, speed and if long enough kicking into endurance) in that group through a varied programme, it's more birds with the same stone...........how condensed can you make your routine with the same results?????

Toby
06-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Eyebrows has been listening :p. Nice one :cool:. I remember when you told us stances were for strength.