Mike Selby
05-03-2004, 01:51 PM
What is "trapping" exactly?

fa_jing
05-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Ask in a forum that cares.

IronFist
05-03-2004, 08:09 PM
^ Whoa, chill out tough guy. Maybe he thought it was a training technique. :rolleyes:

Toby
05-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey, we're all tough guys in here Iron :mad:. Remember, all show, no go. We only talk about lifting and the pump, man. :D

Anyway, Mike, for me who does WC, trapping is about tying up your opponents limbs. Ideally e.g. tying up his two arms with one of yours to give you one free hand. But like fa_jing says, try some of the other forums ;). Maybe the general KF forum, or even try a search. I'm sure it's been debated before.

rubthebuddha
05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
fa_jing -- report to sevenstar's office for your punitive spankings. :mad:

toby is right, and you're better off asking in the main forum rather than just the wc forum, as even though we wing chun people think we know every little thing about trapping, we don't. :)

FooFighter
05-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Trapping is a western term, often used by Jeet Kune Do students and some wing chun students, for a tactical idea used in wing chun gung fu, specifically in sticky hands aka chi sao. The idea is to immoblize your opponents arms/hands at the same time hitting him or her. However, in all probablity it unlikely you will be able to apply trapping in live hand to hand combat unless you are dealing with poor or weaker fighter.

fa_jing
05-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Actually I can apply some covering-type trapping effectively, in sparring at least.

I was just being a d!ck.

FooFighter
05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Binny:

Can you tell what kind of trapping you applied in sparring? I am a student of wing chun and I have never seen realistic or effective trapping appilcation in live sparring before and curious to see what do you mean by trapping?

In the past, I have met JKD students who learned trapping drills and asked them in a friendly manner, in the spirit of exchanging knowledge, to try to apply their trapping on me in sparring. I choose to sparring using western boxing and none of their fancy trapping concepts or drills work effectively on me. They tried to lap da which didnt work because my jab was fast, tried pin me with a pak sao but I right cross him in the face. It quite funny. I have also had the pleasure to have met students who chi sao only and believe chi sao is the end all of wing chun gung fu. When asked if they could applied the same chi sao tactics in sparring, it yielded poor results in my opinions.

fa_jing
05-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Sure. It's nothing flashy, of course. He punches, I do a pak sao before he reaches full extension, slide over his arm and form a lan sao as I move into his space. Usually he is retracting by this point, but his arm has been forced downward and he has to pull it all the way out to extract it. Meanwhile, I punch over my lan sao with the other arm.

I have also done alot of things like tan sao a punch then punch directly from the tan position with the same arm. It may not be a trap, but it is Wing Chun.

I think jut sao can be used pretty effectively if you are aggressive.

My teacher has fought alot of NHB, and he says that he has performed lop da effectively on some of his opponents. Like lop their lead arm and sock'em in the face.

The reason why our Wing Chun works, in my humble opinion, is that we don't rely on it. We do whatever works. My sifu fought in amateur boxing, is a Cook County Sheriff, as well as being a JKD student of Ted Wong.

FooFighter
05-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Binny:

Thanks for the information. If you ever come to NYC, I would love see a demostration of your trapping in sparring. Since we are within the same gung fu family, I would like to invite you to yum cha and exchange ideas.

Cheers,
Bao

SevenStar
05-05-2004, 04:15 PM
*warms up paddle*

IronFist
05-05-2004, 10:27 PM
^ Huh? Paddle?