PDA

View Full Version : Met A True Master Last Night

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 08:14 PM
Went to check out a local school last night. I was impressed to say the least. Here is a summary of what I learned:

Neither a hip throw nor a sweep require any type of set up. Furthermore, the proper technique is accompanied by a lot of hopping on one leg or spinning around with the other guy on your back.

Real Martial Artists can pluck your eyeball out of the socket and tear your testicles off.

The Ninja are related to the Shaolin Temple

In multiple attacker situations, everyone waits around for their turn at you

If someone attempts to stab you, grab their hand, you wont get cut.

In a knife situation, no one ever holds the knife out in front of them to slice you, they always use big telegraphed motions. Furthermore, this attack will come in one of two ways: Overhand or a straight thrust.

You don’t actually have to touch someone to become effective. Simply simulating the motion in the air is sufficient.

If someone doesn’t do it right the first time, screw ‘em. Let the next guy try. No use in helping them get it right.

A Phoenix eye fist is simply the index knuckle protruding. This is an effective weapon without any conditioning and will crush the side of someone’s head.

Tiger Claws also require no conditioning.

The teacher is to be revered as a god. Do not ask questions or doubt his word.

I can’t wait until next week. They are making weapons. I didn’t know a hooked sewing needle glued to a stick was so deadly.

I actually kept a straight face through the whole thing. The teacher asked me what I thought, I told him it was unique and interesting. I wanted to punk the guy SOOOOO BAAAAAD. But of course, he was from Gary and would have trounced me.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

EARTH DRAGON
10-01-2001, 08:30 PM
whats your point? if you didnt like the class then just leave, why would you wait to post something like that here? I agree the things that were said sound ridiculous but what are you looking to get out of posting it? just curious

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Ryu
10-01-2001, 08:31 PM
Now the nay sayers will all be put to rest, eh Water Dragon?

Can you ask forgiveness for me to your master?
I have been training knife work with lots of footwork, quick slashes and jabbing thrusts that flick at the opponent, and cat-like body mechanics. Also, I am a coward as well.
If my opponent has a knife, and I don't I'm probably going to leave the area.

I wish I had that master on my side. :(

;)
LOL, buddy. Where do you find these people?

Ryu

http://www.jkdu.co.za/pics/logos/jkduhpma1.gif

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

MIKSANSOO
10-01-2001, 08:31 PM
he's just mentioning the typical a kung fu class. :p

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 08:34 PM
Just venting. It's a personal pet peeve of mine when people dish out this to unsuspecting victims

This guy has these people convinced that this stuff will work. Do you realize what's gonna happen if one of these people gets themselves in a bad situation because they have faith in this crap?

This idiot is teaching people to be raped and killed

apoweyn
10-01-2001, 08:35 PM
Water Dragon and Earth Dragon are arguing. Why do I feel like the Superfriends should somehow be involved?

Stuart B.

Ming the Merciless
10-01-2001, 08:36 PM
so are you trying to say that the ninja are not related to the shaolin temple? huh, all this time I thought they were.

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 08:37 PM
I'm sick and tired of the smirks I get from real fighters when they find out I do Kung Fu. They see these guys and think we are all the same. It may be vanity but I have pride in what I do.

Ming the Merciless
10-01-2001, 08:37 PM
Earth Dragon and Water Dragon would form a Mud Dragon right?

Johnny Hot Shot
10-01-2001, 08:38 PM
This just seems like a typical Mc Dojo/Kwoon to me. Unfortunately these type of Bozo's seem to be the rule for Dojo's in the US. Hell if you want real self defence nowadays buy a gun and learn how to use it.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-01-2001, 08:44 PM
"If someone doesn’t do it right the first time, screw ‘em. Let the next guy try. No use in helping them get it right."

that one made me laugh aloud.

what do you mean that he is "from gary" though?

does that have something to do with that big debate over that one dude's website a while back?

where's my beer?

Ming the Merciless
10-01-2001, 08:46 PM
probably Gary(the town), Indiana

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 08:59 PM
Gary, Indiana = Top # for Murder Capital of America pretty consistently. The guy is insuating that having a Gary zip code makes one dangerous.

chokeyouout2
10-01-2001, 09:07 PM
You don’t actually have to touch someone to become effective. Simply simulating the motion in the air is sufficient.

Aint nobody talkin when i'm talkin so shut the fu9k up!

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 09:11 PM
Why are you doing kata? Body Mechanics, technique base, conditioning? I hope your not waving your hand in front of someones face and calling it a "Tiger Claw" strike

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 09:55 PM
What do you do in this situation? I was taught to never be rude about someone's skills. (if you notice, I never call anyone out by name) but I was upset. This was some blatant here. Do you let people know they are being had? Do you let them continue to be sheep? Seriously, what do you do in that situation?

EARTH DRAGON
10-01-2001, 10:10 PM
its OK to vent and I totally see your point , I wasnt trying to make light of the situation or you , and I also feel that people like this should not teach! there should be some laws to credentials or licsencing just as their is to massagae therapy or serving liquor. but there are none, so unfortunaly we have to deal with any body with some sort or no training at all who open schools and teach what ever it is they feel legit! thats america for ya!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Vasanth
10-01-2001, 10:15 PM
:rolleyes:

Pot - please refrain from calling the kettle black.

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 10:27 PM
It's cool if the guy wants to do his thing. It would also be cool if his students understood what was going on. The thing is, these are inexperienced people with good hearts who believe in this.

Can you let them know what's going on without being an A$? Yes, I know how it sounds, H2O Dragon trying to not sound like an a$ . But this really bothers me on a few different levels. The main one being that this is a very nice lady who really wants the real thing.

Daedalus
10-01-2001, 10:28 PM
My Isshinryu instructor used to spin alot of the same crap. My instructor was an 8th Degree at the time (now a 9th), supposedly.

To hear him tell it, he had been everywhere and done everything. He would cancel classes for a week or two at a time and then when he did return would tell us of how he had gotten a call from either Van Damme, Seagal, Norris, Jackie Chan, or "insert name of famous MA star", whom wanted him to fly out to their movie set and help them with the choreography. Oddly enough, he never had any pictures of himself and the MA star together. Wonder why?

wufupaul
10-01-2001, 10:54 PM
I know of a similar situation, too, Waterdragon. There is a guy who on his website lists a whole bunch of accomplishments and things that he teaches, but I saw him get beaten pretty easily during a push hands match at a tournament. I thought about exposing him, but I'm not going to, I'll just let his lies slowly leak out and hope that his students realize it.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about
life. IT GOES ON.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-01-2001, 11:29 PM
I feel your pain brother. I have a similar thing going on at the Dojo I'm still at but will be leaving very soon. There a few people there that could be exceptional Martial Atists but because of bad instructor and BS teaching methods these people with never reach their full potential.

Now here are a few things that I have thougth of doing. Start punking him in class by asking questions about the practiacal application of techniques. Asking questions about history Lineage Ect. then correcting him when he is wrong. Finally I have even considered challenging him but I feel that this way is giving in to my ego and would inevitibly make me to look like a bigger loser.

I think that in time even the people at the school who are new to MA will figure out that the snake oil they are seling is BS and will hopefiully move on.

Really I don't have any answers. I feel as if we are in the same place (metaphorically speaking) on this.

WTF do you do???

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

[This message was edited by Loc_Qui on 10-02-01 at 02:40 PM.]

Ralek
10-01-2001, 11:46 PM
Would Fircest Tiger like to comment?

Brazilian jiujitsu is superior.

toddbringewatt
10-01-2001, 11:52 PM
ap Oweyn,

That's one of the funniest things I've heard all month! Superfriends... Still laughing. :)

"Bruce Leroy. That's who!"

MonkeySlap Too
10-02-2001, 12:43 AM
This is where I admit to not being an enlightened being...

Ask little Joe how I handled the guy teaching his girlfriend. It's a beautiful story of strategy over confrontation.

also - I've managed to jack two training partners with that BJJ escape from the gaurd you showed me. COOL!

Peace.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

ATENG
10-02-2001, 01:58 AM
(nt)

"It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun."

Water Dragon
10-02-2001, 02:55 AM
Personally, I liked the Earth Dragon + Water Dragon = Mud Dragon better. Seemed a little wittier.

But I laughed my a$$ off at both. Went home and put on my cape!

crumble
10-02-2001, 03:28 PM
... or sumthin'.

I guess I'd be polite, too. But, to me, it seems like it's really hard to mask that you're >just< being polite. Except for complete sociopaths [e.g. bad "Masters", heh.)

I guess I'd also hang around after class, either inside or outside the school. Chances are one or two people will come up to you and seriously ask you questions about your opinion and experience. Then you can drop the truth on them. Then you get karma points for saving one or two souls from martial arts hell.

-crumble

"I say they bought their ticket, they knew what they were getting into, so let them die!"

-Airplane, the movi

Daedalus
10-08-2001, 11:05 PM
I have a friend of mine who runs a dojo and he had the same problem with a guy who was teaching with him. But rather than him taking the guy down a few notches, he got one of the students to do it.

Made the guy look real bad. Needless to say that he left and never came back.