PDA

View Full Version : Southpaw swordsmen

Banjos_dad
05-06-2004, 10:09 AM
I am starting a jian sword form. Naturally the sword is used with the right hand throughout the form, and I'm learning it that way the same as everyone else.
I am left-handed though. If I really got into a swordfight or needed to make some kind of serious defensive effort with it, I would want to take advantage of the better strength and dexterity of my naturally strong side.

Do any of you practice sword forms on the "reverse" side, or is that frowned on?

Of course I will learn to execute the form & be tested on it right handed with the rest of the class. I didn't even consider asking him about it. There's dozens of us learning it right now & no one has asked him.
Thanks in advance...B_d. Now I'm going to get stuff to put up my double end bag. Yaayyyyyy!!!

Judge Pen
05-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Several students that I know, right and left handers, will learn a weapon form on both sides just to balance themselves out. Makes it tougher since its at least twice the practice time and can be confusing, but if you can do this, then it's got to be good.

BTW, I'm too lazy to learn a weapon form on my left side, but I can see the benefits of trying.

count
05-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Train your basic cuts, offense and defensive, on both sides. By training one side you are also reinforcing the other. It shouldn't make a difference which side you use against your opponent. Only angles or inside/outside attack give you a superior advantage. It's more of a disadvantage to your opponent since they are probably not used to looking at a left dominant opponent. As far as your form, tuff luck buddy, you should be used to a right handed society by now.:D Seriously, just train both sides.

Banjos_dad
05-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys.
I am used to right-handed society, yr a decent lot pretty much. What's up with those scissor handles thoough!! Jsus Crist almighty. It's like "Cruel Shoes." Talk about dating myself.
We do an empty hand form called "32 Legs" which is oriented in a line (like tan tui). We start by learning the form in one direction, and then we learn the opposite side. I'm interested to see how my 2nd side will lokk compared to my training buddies'. I guess they have more trouble executing that side.
Oh yeah, the best left-handed product on the martket: Left handed can opener. Or better yet electric like Banjos mom got me.
Sorry to get OT. Thanks for the help.