PDA

View Full Version : New to Northern Praying Mantis

Steele
05-06-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm relatively new to Kung-Fu. I studied Okinowan karate for about 5yrs and have recently started studying Northern Praying Mantis Kung - Fu. I gotta tell ya ...I love it !! It makes karate seem very rigid .

NPM Kung - fu seems to be much more flowing and powerful. It also seems limitless. Just thought I'd chime in!!

SaMantis
05-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi Steele - welcome to the wonderful world of praying mantis!

I study Wah Lum praying mantis in Chinatown, and yeah it's a great art.

Can't knock okinawan karate, though. Did you study uechi-ryu? seems like there's a lot of schools teaching that style up here.

again, welcome! :)

EarthDragon
05-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Welcome steele, I , like you trained in okinawan Gojuryu for 6 years before switching to mantis and it is quite different but for me much more efficient and practical. I am sure you will enjoy it's flow. good luck

Steele
05-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Yes I did study Uechi-Ryu!! The style of Kung -Fu I'm studying is called Jade Forest Tam Tui Northern Praying Mantis

Green_Tea
05-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Hello! I am pretty new to Northern Praying Mantis kung fu too (well to all martial arts). I study at Wah Lum too! But I'm at the one in Orlando. I absolutely love it!

SaMantis
05-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Very cool ... Steele is that the school in Cohasset? Sifu Loupos is a very skilled martial artist, you'll learn a lot! Train hard! :)