PDA

View Full Version : train in china

dturner
05-06-2004, 06:22 PM
I want to go train in china in the next 2 years but dont know what to do.there are many great programs.
worldlink is a great one its www.study-in-china.com
www.shaolins.com is another
could you recomend one.If you could would you take a look at these sites and tell me what you think is best.

norther practitioner
05-10-2004, 02:39 PM
You should check out Russbo.com.. a good chunk of that website is dedicated about training in China.

Shaolinlueb
05-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
You should check out Russbo.com.. a good chunk of that website is dedicated about training in China.

or find a sifu with close connections in china or owns a school there :D

unkokusai
05-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Or just go and figure it out when you get there.

blooming lotus
05-10-2004, 08:31 PM
like it's been mentioned in articles in ezine and print, it really is feasible to just turn up andfind a suitable school once you're here....research nver hurts buts there's more than 80 schools and you'll see that alot are very similar in quality.........pick a few names of schools or shifus etc and check out what's available when you arrive.........for chinese speakers checkout www.baidu.com for info, schools and links

Kristoffer
05-11-2004, 01:41 AM
bring toilet paper ;)

GroungJing
05-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
bring toilet paper ;)

Oh yea let's not forget the imodium A-D

:eek:

Shaolinlueb
05-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by GroungJing

Oh yea let's not forget the imodium A-D

:eek:

and deoderant?

blooming lotus
05-12-2004, 04:51 PM
speaking of deo....on a mission at moment.....do you know they have no aerosols here?...come to mention it, you're lucky if you can find a roll-on !!..no tanning lotion........no solarium....no tampons!! ( girls take note...septic systems still developing and because they can't flush...they're not available...!!! wtf???!!!!???)

and supplies of vitamins and supplements....these folks have no idea what you're talking about if you try to buy them here so be prepared for a dietary/ lifestyle overhaul assimilation period.....life Jim..but not as you know it....it's like starting from scratch...

total bs...but if you're up for it ....cheers to you...come stocked and prepared!!!!!!!!!

Ps....banking is a serious b*tch!!!

good luck ;)

Shaolinlueb
05-12-2004, 05:28 PM
wow, sounds like camping. but in a place with millions of people :o

omarthefish
05-12-2004, 05:55 PM
I don't know when you were there last but the only thing you reslly need to bring from home is Ammonium AD and dental floss. American brand deodorant is now available in major shopping centers as are tampons. Not easy to find but there are a couple major chains that carry all that western stuff.

The lack of dental floss has been an odd frustration. Oh, technically he's right about aerosol deodorant. But using a stick works just as well.

Vitamins and supplements are a waste of money. You will eat so well here that you will have no need for such things. Herbal supplements are cheaper than dirt. Toilet paper is only an issue in the countryside. In the public restrooms in cities there is usually someone out from selling little packs of kleenex for about 10 cents a pack. But be prepared for the lack of plimbing. Just squat over a hole and drop your business a mere 6 inches or so below ground level. :( Very scary business those public restrooms. On the bright side, a squatting style of doing your business means you don't have to make actualy physical contect with anything there. ;)

No tanning lotion but lots of "whitening creams". Nobosy in China wants a tan. They think dark skin is ugly. But that means that if you are afraid of sunburn, there are actually LOADS of products to protect your delicate white skin. They are just not marketed as "tanning lotion". More likely you will find them in with the cosmetics and sold as something to help protect your "milky white complexion." lol. Just a cultural difference.

Eventually, the need for the ammonium a-d will go away but it takes a while. It took me at least 6 months before the state of my innards stopped being a major factor in my plans for the evening.

Good luck dude.

Shaolinlueb
05-13-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Wang Rui Xuan
Ever considered Shanghai?

- vibrant international city with local flavour (14 million people)
- great living conditions (everything from local to upscale)
- all the comforts of home (over 25 Starbucks...even though it sucks)
- many universties to study Chinese (Fudan, Jiao Tong, TongJi...)
- some good traditional kungfu - Shaolin Er Lang Men, Mantis, Eagle Claw, Wu Style Tai Ji, Xing Yi, ...

I've been working here five years, studying Seven Star Mantis kungfu and love it. Do some research.

Possible Sites:
1) Shangahi Expat
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/

2) American Chamber of Commerce (Shanghai)
http://www.amcham-shanghai.org/

3) Expat Shanghai
http://www.expatsh.com/

4) Another Living in Shanghai Site
http://shanghai.asiaxpat.com/

5) Chin Woo Men - Traditinal Kungfu in Shanghai http://www.chinwoomen.com )

6) Universities in China
http://www.findaschool.org/index.php?Country=China
- look under Shanghai

Feel free to contact me if you have any quesitons.

Wang Rui Xuan

woah man. very very nice.

dturner
05-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks all but do you think its dangerous to go to china.they are communists.(sorry for the spelling)

blooming lotus
05-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by omarthefish
maybe in all 6 or so provinces I've been to I've just been unlucky...even with local native speakers because I've looked and looked and these things are just not available[/COLOR]

Vitamins and supplements are a waste of money. You will eat so well here that you will have no need for such things. Herbal supplements are cheaper than dirt.

true ...however, until you figure out exactly what you are eating, a good stock of multis is a good idea....
No tanning lotion but lots of "whitening creams". Nobosy in China wants a tan. They think dark skin is ugly. But that means that if you are afraid of sunburn, there are actually LOADS of products to protect your delicate white skin. They are just not marketed as "tanning lotion". More likely you will find them in with the cosmetics and sold as something to help protect your "milky white complexion." lol. Just a cultural difference.

no, no, no...I mean to make your skin more tanned.....no wonder they don't sell it here...

Eventually, the need for the ammonium a-d will go away but it takes a while. It took me at least 6 months before the state of my innards stopped being a major factor in my plans for the evening.

I was wondering what this was....it's a laxtative right???if so...no arguement here...even lipid-balancing tea...very very important ;)

Good luck dude.

Shaolinlueb
05-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by shanghai_kid

Was that reply supposed to be ironic? I hope so.

i think it was. hey shanghai kid, i have some questions about shanghai, can I contact you via aim or email?

omarthefish
05-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Blooming Lotus,

You got it backwards. The "ad" in ammonium ad stands for Anti Diarreah. :(

Deodorant took me a long time to find to because most Chinese don't use it so they don't know wtf, I'm asking for. I kept getting directed to cologne and stuff. Smaller towns won't have it but anything with a popuylation over a couple million should have at least one big western style store. In Shanghai and Beijing easy. In Xi'an there's "Home Club" (not a hardware store) and "Hao You Duo" and one other chain with the western stuff.

lol @ dturner.

My GF and her family expressed all kinds of concern for my safety when I went back home to America to visit family this year. They were aware that we were at war, there was lots of terrorism, every body in the world hates us....they encouraged me to be carefull and hoped I would make it safely back to China soon. . . .no joke.

Oh yeah BL,

It's not about figuring out what you are eating it's about figuring out how to order. That was a major flaw in my Chinese education at SFSU. I never learned how to read a menu. For the first 2-3 months I was stuck in an endless repetition of like 3 or 4 dishes. Asking for help from the waiters was no help either because they have all figured out that we westerners only like sweet and sour pork for meat and bok choy for veggies. They have learned that we can't stand anything with flavor, are afraid to eat anything that isn't sweet.

p.s.

The reasons listed for Shanghai are exactly the reasons I avoided it. I wanted to get as far away from home as possible. Shanghai reminded me of LA. What's the point in traveling half way around the world just to live in another big obnoxious city? Shanghai has it's charm but on the down side:

-The services in English are almost too plentiful. It get's in the way of learning Chinese.

-The city is notorious for "gold diggers". It's hard to find a Chinese girl who's interested in anything other than your american dollars in any city but Shanghai is notorious for it. In Beijing they want the green card.

-Cost of living is nearly as high as a western city....or at least a western small town. I'd say it costs nearly twice as much to live in Shanghai as in Xi'an. Although, if you have a decent degree you can possibly find a western job in Shanghai and back serious bucks compared to the local economy whereas in a smaller place like Xi'an there's not much to do but teach English.