PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Tension and WC?

william
05-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Dynamic Tension?

I was reading about this as a strengthening technique in a Kung Fu book the other day, good idea for WC training?

I guess Kung fu people have been doing it for years, so it can’t be bad, but is it optimal for wing chun?

W.

TjD
05-07-2004, 09:30 AM
bad idea.

dynamic tension is counterproductive to wing chun as we're trying to stay relaxed and only use the correct muscles and structure.

the human body likes to continue doing what it's been practicing. dynamic tension will make you more tense (because thats what you're training yourself to do). being tense you slows yourself down, makes you less responsive and easier to control. all bad things.

Savi
05-07-2004, 10:43 AM
On the contrary,

I believe its has its place and time in training methods. I have trained with plyometric power cords to enhance the speed of my punches and kicks. Your partner pulls the center of the cord back behind you while you wrap the ends to your hands or ankles. If you want, have a third person hold a target in front of you to give you something to strike/kick at. Even have them moving in different directions so that you have to chase them while being pulled backward. Ever see Jackie Chan's "Mr. Nice Guy"? There is a scene where he is under similar circumstances against Richard Norton.

Under the restrictive pressure, your body learns to deliver its power in its intended direction despite the counter-pressure from your partner's pull. When your body is used to this, then try punching and kicking without the restictive pressure and you will notice how much faster the body responds when free and relaxed. You will also notice how much more power is easily and readily available. Your agility and reflex-time should be increasing.

Now this is different that trying to create the dynamic tension by yourself for the purpose of inflicting more damage to your attacker. In contrast, by doing so you are only delivering less than the full potential of the strike/kick because you have to keep a certain amount of energy back. It may feel stronger, and certainly it may hurt the other person, but you are limiting your body's full potential for energy release by maintaining its tension.

I have not used dynamic tension in fighting, nor would I advocate dynamic tension for fighting, but I would for recommend it for health and fitness. It has its benefits.

If you are concerned about developing a "mentality" that when training this, you will tense up during real situations, keep in mind this should be kept to a minimum and not replace what you already do to train your speed and power. You should always balance out your training. ie: weight training with cardio and stretching along with your kung fu training. Get a good diet going on top of that. I think that everyone should supplement their kung fu training with whatever they can do to strengthen their health and fitness... excluding drugs of course. Health and fitness training is good for your longevity. :)

Everything is just another experience. Cheers.

sokuto
05-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Dynamic tension has its place as a training aid. If you use it in conjunction with other forms of supplementation it can be a valuable training aid.
I personally dont think it affects your speed at all. This is a myth along the same lines of the use of weights of a training aid. Many martial artists use dynamic tension as an aid (the most famous being Bruce Lee and I dont think it affected his speed do you?).

At the end of the day give it a try and see how it works for YOU. If you find it beneficial use it. If not dont. The choice is yours!

anerlich
05-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Tension is the flip side of relaxation. In order to learn to really relax, you must experience and become familiar with tension. PNF flexibility training relies on the use of both modalities. Many therapists treating anxiety teach dynamic tension/relaxation cycles to promote deep relaxation.

Our forms include dynamic tension, switching suddenly to dynamic relaxation. Without some tension you are just a bag of guts and holding good structure is impossible. EFFICIENT and EFFECTIVE use of tension and relaxation is what we seek, not just one end of the continuum.

My Sifu, training partners and I have used resistance bands for decades, both for resistance training and overspeed (you can also see Rickson training with one in Choke); I don't regard that as dynamic tension, but it's purely a matter of definition and terminology and not worth bickering about. It's a good tool, no doubt.

I don't think dynamic tension is particularly efficient as a method of building strength, more as a method of learning to control tension and relaxation through the nervous system.

S.Teebas
05-08-2004, 09:14 AM
What is the difference between tension...and dynamic tension?

If you are tense, then your muscle will need to relax before you can change the direction in your movement. I think that's why WC trains to be relaxed at all times, to have the fastest reaction possible.

Chi sau sensitivity tells us which way the force is moving, then being relaxed will allows us to move correctly in the right direction in the fastest possible way, and as the force changes...we can change our structure appropriately and quickly.

I agree that being tense and then relaxing can break through some barriers if people are having extreme problems with relaxing...in the beginning. But after experimenting with weights (and stretching before and after) i've found I can personally reach higher states of relaxation through minimising ANY tension before training.

TjD
05-08-2004, 11:41 AM
as far as i knew, resistance bands and dynamic tension were different things. i have no problems with weight lifting or resistance bands.

however dynamic tension, especially during the slow section of siu lim tau is a big no no in my book. there are better ways to get stronger without as many drawbacks.

anerlich
05-09-2004, 03:44 PM
i've found I can personally reach higher states of relaxation through minimising ANY tension before training.

Different strokes, I guess.