PDA

View Full Version : Oh how I love my home gym

Ford Prefect
05-07-2004, 07:19 AM
...let me count the ways

1) I don't have to wait for any equipment.

2) I don't have to listen to crappy pop music and the banter of the dj's.

3) There are no distractions in the way of good looking women in tight outfits or mirrors in front of the squat rack.

4) I don't feel the need to push more weight than I should.

5) I don't have the gym rats trying to socialize with me when I'm trying to workout.

6) I can groan and make weird sounds without worrying about being reported to the front desk as a pervert.

7) I can workout naked even though I choose not to. The option is there! ;)

8) I don't have to lug 100's of lbs worth of kettlebells, clubbells, and chains to the gym.

9) I don't have smelly gym clothes and a used towel sitting in my car all day long.

10) I can make myself a nice bacon and egg sandwhich for the ride to work.

11) I can workout whenever I want.

I love it.

Pork Chop
05-07-2004, 08:24 AM
being able to lift at home is like the only reason i want a house right now.

rubthebuddha
05-07-2004, 08:28 AM
bmore -- that, and a wallbag. :)

ford -- enjoy it while it lasts. seven and i are gonna come swipe your gear in the next two weeks. ;)

fa_jing
05-07-2004, 08:28 AM
how about no swapping turns with a sweaty MF on the bench....having to wipe down the equipment before you start....

One of the reasons I got into Kbells....they are right there when I need them. But, I'm getting to the point where I am missing the barbell work....doing Barbell work, then follow up or alternate with KB work....that is the sht

Losttrak
05-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Disadvantages:

1) There are no distractions in the way of good looking women in tight outfits or mirrors in front of the squat rack.

2) No chance of hookin up with good looking women in tight outfits or mirrors in front of the squat rack.

Toby
05-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Losttrak, my good looking woman is inside in bed while I work out. If I time it right, she's just about to have a wakeup shower when I need a cooldown shower after a workout ;). If I time it badly, the kids are waking up and they want a wakeup shower with her and I get to make breakfast :(.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
7) I can workout naked even though I choose not to. The option is there! ;)
Lol! Over summer I frequently stripped down to my underpants on hot mornings. Shorts and singlet were too hot. Why choose not to? Enjoy it, Ford!

Losttrak
05-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Youda man, Toby. =D

I would personally like to put forth my WARNING for those who choose to freeball it around free-weights and machines. Its like wearing loose clothing around heavy machinery. If it gets stuck, or smashed.... *weeps*

Ford Prefect
05-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I'm getting hitched so no need for the gym bunnies.

Rub, Good luck getting past the ****ed off guy with a gun. :p

Fa_jing, That's actually what I'm doing now. Since I have the barbell set, I'm obviously going to use it. I'm doing a 3-day bodybuilding split. On shoulder day, I capped off with 2 aletrnating strip sets of KB c&j's and see-saw presses. I did legs today and capped them off with 2 strip sets of KB front squats with my heels elevated on 25 lbs plates. I did a Clubbell workout last night to help my shoulders, arms, and chest recover from their workouts, and I'll do some snatches tonight.

IronFist
05-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Hot gym babes = increase in testosterone

blooming lotus
05-07-2004, 11:20 PM
which is why alot of us stay out of those gyms ;)

just kidding but totally feeling ya ....in the prcoess of doing the same...when I'm done I'll let you all know what I came up with.......

fa_jing
05-08-2004, 11:55 AM
When I get to work out in a gym, like today, I work it like this....Some kettlebell swings, snatches, and/or windmills to warm up....maybe 1 C & P each side with the two pood, but no more....then go over to the barbells for the meat of the workout. I don't like warmup sets anyway so the KB's minimize or completely eliminate that, depending on how close I'm going to a 1-rep max in a barbell exercise. Then, rather then dropping down to a lower weight, I just go back to the kettlebells to finish the workout. Unstructured, but I like it that way.

For instance, today I did: KB warmup....3 x 3 LC hang clean and jerk w/155lbs bb....3 x 3 front squat (full) with same....Some HLR, some pullups....some more substantial KB work....finished up with jump rope and jumping jacks. Also, they had an 18lb. "body bar" which I did some staff twirling-type stuff with, seemed good for the shoulders and grip.

This gym had crappy music, no power rack, and no chalk. My calluses took a beating. I was luck to find some wierd contraption with hooks on it to load the bar on.

Iron, you would have liked this chick that was there....she was supersetting full pullups and pushups in sets of 3reps, for many sets. Her trainer told me that she can do 14 pullups. But she was not overly muscular, just looked like a swimmer or something.

blooming lotus
05-08-2004, 05:01 PM
not to be an overacheiver but generally speaking, 14 is good ??

IronFist
05-08-2004, 10:36 PM
14 is very good if they're real, all the way down (arms straight), all the way up, no bouncing, pullups.

Especially for a girl.

blooming lotus
05-09-2004, 12:47 AM
I knew someone was going to give that "for a girl bs"...personally i'mmore capeable than half you guys...14???ha?? ok..but I'll take100 for a mission :D

IronFist
05-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah "for a girl."

Girls have genetically less muscle mass than men, and also carry more of their weight lower (ie. more to pull up). So for a girl to achieve 14 pullups is probably more impressive than for a man to achieve the same thing.

btw, make sure you're doing good quality pullups. None of that come-down-only-to-90-degrees-and-then-go-back-up-and-count-it-as-a-rep crap.

blooming lotus
05-09-2004, 04:40 PM
why swear ?? :rolleyes:

interesting perspective though

IronFist
05-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Swear? "Crap?" Sorry.

But that partial reps stuff is crap, so I deemed it necessary.

Toby
05-09-2004, 07:41 PM
BL, why are you always so full of ****? :(. We all know how not only are you the smartest person in the world, but the fittest and strongest as well. 100 pullups is probably very rare, male or female. You would require very particular body characteristics with excellent endurance capabilities. I'm not saying you can't do it, but I am saying that in general, like Iron says, girls can't do even 1 pullup. Most girls at gyms the closest they'd come is lat pulldowns, and they'd put 1 or 2 (max 5) 5kg plates on and do a couple of sets of 12 reps. Now I'm not saying all girls do that, but I would guess of all women in all gyms worldwide, upwards of 90% would. That's of course based on my limited experience. In 5 or 6 years of regular gym training I don't think I ever saw a girl do a pullup and I don't think I ever saw a girl do a lat pulldown with anywhere near bodyweight. Now I'm guessing you already know this and you're just using this thread as an opportunity to tell us all how great you are.

IronFist
05-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Most guys can't even do one pullup.

I don't think anyone's ever done 100 in one set before, male or female.

If I were to try that I'd make someone else count for me. I'd be concentrating so hard on the pullups I'd be like "56, 57, ::gasps:: 58, ::gasps:: um... um... crap... um... 17, 18..."

Or I'd be like

1, 2 skip a few, 99, 100. (remember that from playing hide and seek as a kid?) :D

Ford Prefect
05-10-2004, 11:35 AM
It is now complete. My bumper plates came today and I got a radio over the weekend. Sweet. Now it's time to shed some fat. I've blown up to 7.8% BF over the past few weeks!

Oh & lol @ 100 pull-ups. I think she had to be talking about push-ups.

rubthebuddha
05-10-2004, 01:13 PM
fatass. :D

blooming lotus
05-10-2004, 05:55 PM
toby..my own personal troll...I'm honoured ..truly

Iron...you're right..half anything is bs...do it properely or don't bother counting it as anything but prep training for some real work......I don't know about today , cause to be honest I'm having trouble finding hanging space for my bag and am in the proccess of finding a door hinged pull-up bar..but not long ago I could easily pump out 20/30 rep sets x whatever time I had...I'll need to work back up to it...but this is standard....as is my 500 shooting for 1000 pushups...I just like to work ...so sue me and call me mad...:cool:

Toby
05-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
toby..my own personal troll...I'm honoured ..trulyTrolls usually are associated with false information. i.e. They post something contentious with the intent of inflaming people. Unfortunately you seem to have me mixed up with someone who posts false information. Inflaming you? Maybe. Insofar as I post the correct and you post ****. Does anyone else think that 100 pullups is trivial besides you? Didn't think so.

blooming lotus
05-10-2004, 08:22 PM
thx for the contribution ;)

:rolleyes:

IronFist
05-10-2004, 09:11 PM
If you can do 100 pullups straight I'll see you in the Guiness Book of World Records.

rubthebuddha
05-10-2004, 11:10 PM
IF -- the set of 100 would be more like:

42 ... gasp ... 43 ... gasp ... 44 *riiiiip**pop* *thump**thump**thump*

at least you'll know what those bugs felt like when you tore their wings off when you were a kid. :)

blooming lotus
05-11-2004, 12:41 AM
If I make there...100 in a row...no rest , you'll be the first to know.......

ElPietro
05-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Wait, I just did 100 pullups in a row last night.

I love the internet.

I'm also a millionare, with a mansion, model for a wife, and a yacht. Life is good. :)

IronFist
05-11-2004, 08:40 AM
^ Those were 1 armed pullups, right?

fa_jing
05-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Good 1 iron.

Hey, I think I found a picture of blooming lotus. This is you, right?
http://www.kiwisearch.net/gladiatorgirl/resume.html

you're cute

fa_jing
05-11-2004, 09:21 AM
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42625&start=30

"It is worth remembering that, according to Guiness, the worlds record for one-arm pullups is held by a woman, who could do an astonishing 26 on her right and (and only a miserable 13 on the left). (She was a circus acrobat and did multiple one-arm in-locates as part of her act.) Let me repeat that these are one-arm pullups. There aren't many men who can do that many two-arm pullups. "

IronFist
05-11-2004, 10:20 AM
What's an in-locate?

fa_jing
05-11-2004, 01:46 PM
I think it is a reverse shrug - pulling the shoulder down against resistance, such as that provided by your bodyweight when you are hanging.

IronFist
05-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what someone was asking about in a thread a few weeks ago!! They're like, what muscles does it work if you do a shug but you're hanging from a bar? People were saying it was your traps and I was trying to convince them that it was the antagonist to the traps, but I didn't know what the antagonist was. haha.

rubthebuddha
05-11-2004, 04:25 PM
was my thread. but what the hell is the antagonist to the trap? :D

IronFist
05-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Beats the hell out of me.

Toby
05-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
People were saying it was your traps and I was trying to convince them that it was the antagonist to the traps, but I didn't know what the antagonist was. haha. Lol! I was that people. In the thread I said I tried the exercise and I was oh so wrong. It was the lats. I tried doing several in a row and you could distinctly feel it right over the outside of the shoulder blades.