PDA

View Full Version : knee problem

IronMonkey
05-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi, well this is my first post here, but yea.... anyways, I have a right knee injury, not really sure wats wrong there, and x-ray not showing much at all, so I was wondering if you had some knee problems before and wat you did about it, or maybe you guys know of some kind of medication or special herbs?

trevorstalker
05-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi IM, and welcome to KFO.

I have the EXACTLY same knee problem (and it's even in the right cap :) ). It's not really painful, right? But you feel something, enough to tell you something is going on with your knee (specially because the left one is just fine).

Have you seen a doctor yet? Probably yes, since you got the x-ray done. I also did some NMR of it, and nothing showed up. Might be worth doing it.

When I first noticed the problem I got all scared and stuff, but since nothing was diagnosed I came back to my normal workout schedule. I did one month of physical-therapy and couldn't notice any benefit.

As of today I workout regularly, still take all my MA practice and swim as well. I was never into running, but if you're going to, you'll probably feel your knee complaining about it. As for bike riding I never got any problems.

Oh, and regarding weight training, aside form squats (which are definetely gonna hurt -- take my word for it), most other leg exercises are okay. Well, at least for me.

But check it out with a doctor first. What works for me, might not work for everybody.

Take Care.

fa_jing
05-08-2004, 03:39 PM
A skilled orthopedist might be able to do some manipulations that would help pinpoint the problem.

Generally, what motions cause pain? Where do you feel pain? Under the kneecap (patella), more towards the back, to the side? Hurt when twisting, hurt when fully bent, hurt when fully straight, hurts to kick?

IronMonkey
05-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Trevor, yes, I think we got same problem, haha. But hey, you can do MA and I cant, cause when I tend to jump a whole lot or run, it starts feeling uncomfortable. I dont know, I try to bend the knee all the way and it sort of tightens up and feels bad, and I cant really tell where the pain is. I am going to see an orthopedic doctor on Tuesday so hopefully he can tell me something. And as for physio therapy, I was gonna take it, and still might (even though hearing from you it didnt help), I hope it helps.

trevorstalker
05-08-2004, 06:16 PM
fa_jing:

Generally, what motions cause pain? Where do you feel pain? Under the kneecap (patella), more towards the back, to the side? Hurt when twisting, hurt when fully bent, hurt when fully straight, hurts to kick?

In my case, "pain" comes and goes... sometimes I am just standing and *bam* I start feeling the knee. I can't really describe the sensation, it's as if someone was just pressing my knee cap, and that "pressure" irradiated throught the cap... I don't know, something like that... :)

IronMonkey:

But hey, you can do MA and I cant, cause when I tend to jump a whole lot or run, it starts feeling uncomfortable. I dont know, I try to bend the knee all the way and it sort of tightens up and feels bad, and I cant really tell where the pain is.

I had that in the very beginning. Doing kicking drills on the bag (on those "throwing" kicks -- I don't know what they're called in english), I'd feel the knee upon impact. But that did diminish as my legs got stronger. Anyway, the best advice is still to look for some professional help.

And as for PT, if your doc tells you to do so, by all means, take it. Might just work for you... :)

Either way, keep me posted.

fa_jing
05-09-2004, 01:55 PM
TS - sounds like maybe pain under the kneecap? I had that and it got better. Basically some rough cartilege (sp?) under the cap....can be cleaned out with arthroscopic surgery, but I haven't had to have that....it basically went away with time.

Other than that, it could be a tendon, ligament, or patellar tracking disorder. Lots of options.

trevorstalker
05-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I think it's getting better by itself. If I look back, I feel a lot less than say, maybe 3 years ago. I think it all started because I skydove my way into a impact sport. After I started weighted leg workouts, the pain is much less significant. I think it was just a matter of progressively getting stronger.

I've been taking some cartilage medicine (other reasons thought) for the past month. Maybe that is doing some healing on my knees as well. Time will tell I guess... :)

Peace!

IronMonkey
05-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by trevorstalker
Yeah, I think it's getting better by itself. If I look back, I feel a lot less than say, maybe 3 years ago. I think it all started because I skydove my way into a impact sport. After I started weighted leg workouts, the pain is much less significant. I think it was just a matter of progressively getting stronger.

I've been taking some cartilage medicine (other reasons thought) for the past month. Maybe that is doing some healing on my knees as well. Time will tell I guess... :)

Peace!

3 years?! Dang, well I had my injury for almost a year, and you say it gets better with your legs getting stronger, well Im sort of afraid if I continue to workout or take MA that it might just get worse... dunno.

trevorstalker
05-10-2004, 04:50 PM
3 years?! Dang, well I had my injury for almost a year, and you say it gets better with your legs getting stronger, well Im sort of afraid if I continue to workout or take MA that it might just get worse... dunno.

Get some medical advice then. In my case, it got better. It was just a matter ot time (like most things are). However, if your MA is killing you: a) take it easier or b) quit it for a while.

No point in risking your health. Seriously. If it escalades, it'd be a hell of a lot worse to seek proper care later.

mickey
05-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Greetings,

It sounds like you have what has been plaging many athletic disciplines for years: overdeveloped quadriceps (this can also develop from extensive standing). This tends to cause problems with the stability of the knees. If left unchecked it could cause serious problems.

Remedy: Strengthen your hamstrings

If excessive jumping has caused the problem, purchase a D.A.R.D. and develop the muscle along the shin bone. Strengthening this area also prevents shin splints.

mickey

IronMonkey
05-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Well, I went to the Orthaepedic doctor and he took a look, and out of all things he said, I got these 3 main points:
1. Stretch alot, the quads (if knee starts hurting, rest).
2. Rest as much as possible.
3. Something to do with growth. Once I stop growing or close to that stage, then it will be gone completely.

So now I ask 2 things... anyone know any good stretches for the quads? And also, wats a D.A.R.D.?

Toby
05-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by IronMonkey
So now I ask 2 things... anyone know any good stretches for the quads?
Yep. But it might hurt the knee. In fact, I can't think how you could stretch the quad without flexing the knee maximally. The 1st exercise is the one where you stand up straight and grab your ankle behind your butt. Push your hips forward so you're not cheating. Push your knee back to stretch. The 2nd one is a variation on that. Pavel's stretch - don't remember what it's called. No doubt he got it from somewhere else anyway. Put your sore knee down on the ground, like the finish position of a lunge. Use a pillow on hard ground. Bend your front leg/knee at around 90°. Grab your back leg ankle with the same hand and pull it up towards your butt. You should feel a nice stretch in your quad. To push the stretch either sink your hips down towards the ground (fine tuning) or move your front foot forward or back knee back (gross tuning). Hope that helps.