PDA

View Full Version : Where to get canvas art?

IronFist
05-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I want a big canvas painting in my living room.

But, I want the kind that doesn't require a frame. It's like there's a wooden frame inside and the canvas is stretched over it. So it sticks out from the wall like an inch.

Something like this. See how there's no frame and it sticks out from the wall?

http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/ca/18/d0_1_b.JPG

Except that one is only 20x16 and I want a BIG one (like 36-48"+).

But that's the style I want.

Where do you get stuff like that? I saw a couple at JC Penny's, but I didn't like the colors. But at least they had the right style.

I don't suppose there's a place you could order them online, is there? Cuz they'd be expensive as hell to ship cuz they're so big.

So recommend some trendy art stores or something that might have them.

Thanks.

MasterKiller
05-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Find a local art gallery. They should be listed in your phone book.

Chang Style Novice
05-10-2004, 07:19 AM
What you're talking about here is a canvas painting that hasn't been removed from its stretcher, and in fact has had the peices of canvas that bend around the stretcher painted and incorporated into the painting.

As for where to get such things, I don't know Norfair, so I have no idea of any place to recommend. I will tell you that JC Penny's is definitely NOT the place to be buying art.

What I recommend doing is visiting some galleries in town. Most cities of any size have a few. I'm not clear about what kind of painting you're looking for. Do you want a geometric abstraction similar to the one in the link? That should be fairly easy to find. If you want a painting in specific size, style and colors, you may have to look quite a while, or commission it yourself. Be VERY diplomatic if you take the latter option. Artists are often very proud and independent minded, and may take offense that you are seeking a painting as decoration rather than 'art.' On the other hand, they may be so grateful that someone actually wants to pay them for some work that they'll fall all over themselves trying to please you.

Good luck.

Toby
05-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
... I don't know Norfair, so I have no idea of any place to recommend.
Neither do I, but I'm pretty sure it's not near you or I.

Royal Dragon
05-10-2004, 07:52 PM
My sister does stuff like that. I have some canvas paintings of the coolest dragons ever. All took her over a year to do. The one, she never liked because it didn't turn out the way she wanted. She was actually going to throw it out!! I garbage picked it from her one time wile helping her move. I couldn't believe it. It took her like 18 months to do it, and she was going to just toss it like it was nothing. :rolleyes:

Anyway, she's smarter now, and occasionally sells the stuff she does not like at the art gallery on Huron st in Chicago.