PDA

View Full Version : Kung fu vs. MMA

Musicalkatachmp
05-10-2004, 10:03 AM
On saturday, one of my training buddies from my kung fu school fought in MMA (King of the Ring)...he took the fight on only a few hours notice when the guy's opponent didn't show...he pulled off one of our techniques before the guy got him to the ground...he was doing a good job of keeping the guy close to him and not getting hit...even had a headlock/choke attempt...he got submitted in some crazy move I had never seen before and I watch UFC...but anyway he did really good for taking the fight on such short notice and he's a kung fu guy, so I thought it was cool...

Chang Style Novice
05-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Pics, please? Or better yet, video?

Musicalkatachmp
05-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I just e-mailed the promoter to ask for a copy of the fights, unfortunately we were unable to tape it...but we might have pictures online tomorrow...

Chang Style Novice
05-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Tanks (http://www.stockpix.com/stock/environmentalissues/pollution/solidwaste/760.jpg)

Pork Chop
05-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Yah but you forgot to mention kung fu destroying muay thai. ;)

congrats again man, shame you guys didn't stick around longer.
see yah back at the gym

Musicalkatachmp
05-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all your help man...all that padwork really paid off...sorry we had to bust outta there so soon but I'm still not at the point where I can fight and do something else in the same week....to much nerves I guess...

Pork Chop
05-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Well I don't think I saw you puke afterwards, so that's an improvement at least. :)

Nah, I completely understand u guys takin off.
One beer was hitting you both way too hard.

This event was a good opportunity to see exactly how much the coach/support guys gotta do to get their fighter to the ring.
I can imagine how Dave woulda done if he had to run around and take care of all that stuff by himself. Have a new appreciation for Julio; and am wondering if we should start sending additional people along to help out.

edit: anybody seen my headphones?

Musicalkatachmp
05-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Yeah...on the 29th I will try to get some people to come help...Dave will probably come if he can, he was pretty pumped up he said hes gonna start training his @$$ off...and maybe some people from my one of the kung fu schools can come help out...we can talk to Phil too...

I will check all my stuff tonight and look for the headphones...I have your ironman and rollins CDs...

Suntzu
05-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Phil has never traveled with us before...... plus someone has to watch the gym....... and thanks for the help E....... it would have been he|| trying to handle both of them..... pics tomorrow....

IronFist
05-10-2004, 02:36 PM
These responses are so close together. Was this whole thread made by one person?

Until my post, I mean :)

Pork Chop
05-12-2004, 06:24 AM
No, but 3 guys who train together.
'Cept for CSN, he's just some stinky Austin drag rat. :p j/k

red5angel
05-12-2004, 06:51 AM
awesome, good to hear about some KF guys getting in the ring for a change.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Hey!

I'm panhandling on Sixth Street now. The competition on the drag was too heavy.

Pork Chop
05-13-2004, 08:37 AM
smart idea
business men during the day time
drunk people at night
hey, courthouse is pretty close by
so i think the competition would be HEAVIER there... no?

Starchaser107
05-13-2004, 08:57 AM
cool,
what style of kung fu?

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Man, isn't it enough that my jokes aspire (most often without success) to being funny? Do they have to make sense as well?

Musicalkatachmp
05-13-2004, 10:11 AM
what style of kung fu?

The style of kung fu is known as Tien Shan Pai...there have been some articles in inside kung fu about it recently...

Pork Chop
05-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Man, isn't it enough that my jokes aspire (most often without success) to being funny? Do they have to make sense as well?

good point, my bad
i just got the flashback of walking a few blocks away from the courthouse one day and having some interesting experiences.

still wanna go back to austin....