PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions

red5angel
05-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Well, after struggling the last year and a half trying to find a good CMA school I think I've finally come across one I like. Originally I found them because they offered Luihepafa, something I've been interested in for a while.
However, they also offer, Pakua, Hsing Yi, Yang style TC, and Northern Mantis. Mostly internal (I'm not sure if N. Mantis is considered internal or not.). After watching a couple of the classes, I'm sort of divided on where I want to get started. I will most likely start the N. Mantis in the fall, I like it, it's more physically active and so will be good for me over the winter. however this summer I'd like to get started on an internal art, something I can stick with for a while. The Taichi is out for now, it holds no interest for me. So it's between the Luihepafa, Hsing Yi and the Pakua and I wanted to get some opinions on what you guys thought of those arts.

As for the school, the instructors for all the internal arts learned from Master Wah Lun Choi, and come with good credentials, and over 20 years experience each. The school does sparring, hard enough in some classes that they use pads so in my book that is another good sign.

Ray Pina
05-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Start with Hsing-I. If these guys know their stuff you'll feel like a wrecking ball in no time .... seriously. If they have good Hsing-I and you're not satisfied that you are heading in a very good direction after a month or two, walk away.

Ask them about Tiger Head/Hands; ask them to show it to you in use. This amazed me when I first learned it. Also, bear and eagle striking was also a mind blower for me.

count
05-11-2004, 11:36 AM
It sounds like you found a good school. I'm not clear on what your goals are so it's hard to make recommendations. In my opinion, of the so called internals, bagua will help your mantis the most. Just the nature of the angling and use of the hands is more similiar to praying mantis. I'm also not clear on why you wouldn't just start with the mantis you're interested in now. If it is a good situation, you'll be around long enough to get at least a flavor of all they offer. In a good mantis school, you'll be fighting the first day, so if fighting is what you want just begin the mantis program and spend some time watching and learning the bagua material as you go.

TaiChiBob
05-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Greetings..

From Wei Lun Choi's lineage, i would choose Luihepafa.. period.

But, few people have the dedication and perseverance to make far enough to reap the rewards.. it is a long hard road, and he's one of the best instructors in this country.. if you have the patience and dedication, don't miss this opportunity..

Be well...

red5angel
05-11-2004, 12:21 PM
The only art from the list I am firm on learning is Luihepafa. I've been intrigued by it for a while now and the only reason I was able to locate this school was because I was looking for someone who teaches it. From what I understand it is a long road, several hundred techniques in the main form, but I'm looking for something to stick with. I've been sort of floating now for about 2 years and the only school I found I liked closed. I like this school, I get a good feeling about it, and they offer enough stuff to keep it interesting.
As for why not Mantis right away? Well, It takes me a few months to get in the groove of things. My feeling is I will take to Mantis well and quickly, so I want to sort of acclimate myself to something I'm not familiar with. My wing chun was mostly "internal" as it was taught to me, but I have more experience with external styles and so will probably need some time to "adjust my paradigm" so to speak.

red5angel
05-13-2004, 08:00 AM
still looking for opinions if you got em!

CD Lee
05-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Ok my .02...

Xingyi is awesome if you have good teachers. It also takes a lot of work to get the basics. The wrecking ball will come with time, but it will come.

It sounds like you are set on LHBF already however. So I would recommend that. Sounds like Bob knows something about them, so that would be a pretty sound course of action. I would not mix anything with the internals when learning an internal new. I highly discourage anyone from mixing the three internals before many years in one system. They are hard enough by themselves.

red5angel
05-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Yeah, pretty set on LHBF. I think of all the rest though as far as internal goes, xingyi is the one I will most likley end up studying down the road as well. It's similar to my WC background so I may sort of slide into it easier, and it just seems to fit me more.

Ray Pina
05-17-2004, 01:05 PM
The one thing you said that raised my eyebrow was "several hundred techniques" in the first form.

I am a true believer in keeping it simple. The less techniques the better: One or two things to stop punching, one or two things to stop kicking -- even better if one or two things stops both. Then you can spend time on training and deleloping the delivery system. But that's just me.

Good luck though on whatever you decide.

Ray

TaiChiBob
05-18-2004, 05:37 AM
Greetings..

Keeping it simple is a good theory.. unfortunately, the other guy might not buy it.. LHPF is a thououghly developed martial art with elements of Taiji, Hsing-I, Bagua and complete internal training.. the form(s) are detailed, linked, and effective.. LHPF is a demanding and difficult art to remember.. but, from the few gifted performances i have seen it is both beautiful and devasting.. as you can tell, i like the art.. there's just no one around here to teach it..

On the street simple will work 80% of the time.. against a trained fighter you might want to have a reliable back-up, some exotic techniques.. or, you might get your a$$ handed to you on a platter.. a good Jun Fan/JKD fighter will eat simple up.. personally, i try to expose myself to as many varied possibilities as i can, then work out responses.. (still don't like the Muay Thai guys, they only want to hurt me)..

I agree with EF, simple is best.. but, faced with someone that can deal with it, i prefer to be able to ante-up and raise the stakes..

Be well..

Ray Pina
05-18-2004, 06:44 AM
Actually my experience is the opposite... against less skilled guys is when I can afford to pull out some fancy stuff.

Against a solid skilled guy, it's all about keeping a solid, very basic shape, shielding myself and wedging in when they try to go around the outside, ect., ect.

I'm of the less is more school. That's why I'm not about to go learn 18 weapons and 20 forms. Give me a few things that I know get the job done and let me train them against all body types and agressive and non agressive personalities as well as on the ground and stand up.

In actuality, they are not techniques as much as ideas. A single idea can take many, many forms.

But you can train many, many forms and not get the idea. I don't want to be digging around in a bag of tricks when push comes to shove ... I want to have a handful of automatic responses to outside influences.

Someone sneezes ..... "God bless you." Someone hands you a sandwhich .... "Thank you."

But this is what works for me, what I find most valuable in relation to the time I can spend training and maybe I'm just lazy. Everyone has to find their own way and what works for them.

TaiChiBob
05-18-2004, 07:21 AM
Greetings..

EF: I agree, when "it's on" i start simple and stay simple.. until that doesn't work..

On the street, i keep it simple and direct.. if i can't control the situation with Qinna, then just finish it and move on..

Be well..

red5angel
05-18-2004, 07:42 AM
EF - I don't know w hole lot about the art yet, but the way it was explained to me was that there is the main LHP form that contains several hundred techniques, however, most of these techniques are sort of alternate forms of several basic techniques. I was told it was more a catalogue of how to use the basics in several different ways. For the most part I think everyone picks a few basic techniques and goes with those for the most part, but I dont think there is anything wrong with learning the system throughout. who knows, maybe one of those awkward positions you often have to contort yourself into might come in handy.

I too believe in keeping it simple and I think you can do that with any art, no matter how complicated the forms or what not. The main reason I'm going with LHP is because it contains both internal and external. I'd probably have a hard time going all internal right away so I think this is a good place to start.

Ray Pina
05-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Best of luck at whatever you choose, have fun and be safe. Let us know how it goes...... still think you should have gone with Hsing-I though;)

red5angel
05-18-2004, 02:01 PM
my guess is that Hsing I will be something I take in the future. The school has been around for along time, nd the instructors are relatively young so I think the oppurtunity will be there for a while yet to come.