PDA

View Full Version : Last Samurai continues...revised....

Tit Sa
05-11-2004, 11:24 AM
I challenge rubthebuddha to find ONE racial insult in this post you just erased! You said stop with the racial insult and I did.

And why erase my post and not the others who are just as insulting. Do I say something you don't like or fear?

I see a pattern here. You make a ridiculous claim, it is refuted by facts, you ignore those facts and repeat said claim. Very logical.

I refuted everyone of your ignorant facts, to the point of you saying how I see something from nothing. On the other hand you ignore the facts that a movie like The Last Samurai is insulting, as though you even have the right to tell people what can or cannot be insulting to them.

So you admit you are a racist?

I am racist to people who act the same towards me. Do you really expect me to take it quietly, like the stereotypical asians.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem, by denying and passively accepting stereotypes. Something African Americans has professed along their struggle

rubthebuddha
05-11-2004, 11:37 AM
i said stop with the racial talk AND personal insults. you and several others ignored the latter, so i closed the thread. you started a fresh one with the same insulting comments, so i deleted it. it's not a difficult concept. if you have personal issues with other forum members, deal with them somewhere else. as i've said three or four times in the last day, personal insults will not be tolerated. period. take your derogatory discussion somewhere else.

Tit Sa
05-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Sure I can play nice and diplomatic, but it is a standard you should apply to ALL memebers not just the ones you disagree with; if indeed you do disagree with me. And others were just as insulting.

I personally saw a lot more insults with people thumping their chest and challenging each other to a UFC matches, like children in a playground.

brothernumber9
05-11-2004, 11:46 AM
In which way was "The Last Samurai" racist? I just watched the movie for the first time over the weekend and thought it was a good film.

Judge Pen
05-11-2004, 11:50 AM
tick....tick....tick....tick....tick....tick....

Tit Sa
05-11-2004, 11:54 AM
brothernumber9-

It is subtle and you can almost dismiss it as innocent, if your not asian you will probably not even notice. But when you think about other movies you will begin to see a pattern. I would like to stress not every movie but in a majority of cases.

We had a whole 5pgs. of words, some very insulting and said by me, but if playing nice is what will get people to listen, sure I can be the Dr. King as opposed to the Malcolm X.

You can go back and look at the Last Samurai awesome DVD thread.

I have to go now, places to go, things to see, people to meet....

brothernumber9
05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
which thread was it ? assuming it wasn't deleted or too old.

red5angel
05-11-2004, 12:25 PM
the movie is fine. Tit Sa is convinced that it's some sort of conspiracy against asians when it turns out it is just a movie, period.
When your paranoid or fanatical, you can read whatever you want into just about anything. Tit Sa is apparently convinced that Jews, want to keep the Asian man down, by putting out films making him look small and helpless unless he is helped by the white man (Tom Cruise by the way is not a Jew).

rubthebuddha
05-11-2004, 01:43 PM
tit sa -- you're missing the point of my closing threads:

do NOT insult other users.

after my warning, only TWO people continued this behavior. one i defeated soundly in a match of armwrestling, causing him to concede to my enlightened and correct opinion; the other was you. since you're not within arms reach, i had hoped you'd get the hint that, by doing something that irks the moderators, provokes warnings and gets your threads deleted, perhaps you shouldn't do it.

the mods are not inaccessible. if you have questions or problems, pm or e-mail us. if you have problems with other users, either settle it with them in private or let it go. if you have problems with concepts, ideas, behaviors, etc., then use the forum -- that's what it's here for. happy, joyous discussion of all that is martial, or whatever else reasonable stuff comes up. like whatever in this world ****es off CSN. ;)

@PLUGO
05-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Saw it over the weekend... I like VAN HELSING better . . .;)

Tom Cruise and Kevin Cosner should team up and do a freddy vs. Jason type of flick called.

Dancing with the Last Samurai

Tit Sa
05-12-2004, 03:16 PM
red5angel-

Iam convinced by the pattern I see. And for your info. not only me who thought Last Samurai was insulting. Other people too.

30 years ago you would probably be the one saying I saw David Carradine in Kungfu...it is fine.

To be honest with you I really wish I didn't see such a pattern. I wish asian males are portrayed with the same characteristics as "white" heroes; but the examples are such that they are few. When the majority are stereotyped.

Merryprankster
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM
personally, I'm tired of watching movies portray white society as having no moral compass or sense of community. Kevin Costner and Tom Cruise should be ashamed of themselves for starring in and promoting movies where a white male, finding his own life and society empty, has to turn to a completely different culture to find meaning.

This is a blatant effort on the part of Hollywood to portray non-white culture as inherently more moral and worthy of praise. Look at the noble Japanese and Dakota cultures! Now THERE is something worth fighting for! :rolleyes:

The continuing insinuation that white men and white society are morally inferior is quite sickening.

Obvious racism.

@PLUGO
05-12-2004, 03:29 PM
the movie's really about life as an alcoholic (http://metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=222_0_2_0)

:p :rolleyes: :cool: :D

Tit Sa
05-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Isn't it funny how a disillusioned white man can become a Prince in a society that is as rigid, unflexible as the caste system was in feudal Japan.

Merryprankster
05-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Isn't it funny how it's white society and values that are portrayed as corrupting, whereas the values of Japan were so powerful and noble they turned somebody's empty life around?

rubthebuddha
05-12-2004, 04:07 PM
neither one is funny.

also isn't funny how, in most recent movies with an asian film star, white police officers are portrayed as unskilled morons who couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn much less hit a suspect, but can team up in groups of a dozen or more to get their asses kicked singlehandedly by a skilled asian martial artist.

hollywood is not intentionally promoting anything other than their own pocketbooks. it will do what it takes to make money, period. if the producers of "friday" could legally market $5 bags of weed as part of the merchandising campaign, do you think they would hesitate?

specific directors in hollywood may be racist, sure. even mel brooks (who hates no one but makes fun of everyone, particularly his own self) needs an antithesis, but hollywood as a racist culture? doubtful anymore, simply because money is a far greater motivator than race could ever hope to be. hollywood is too busy caring about counting its money to give a **** about who they should hate.

Merryprankster
05-12-2004, 04:10 PM
specific directors in hollywood may be racist, sure. even mel brooks (who hates no one but makes fun of everyone, particularly his own self) needs an antithesis, but hollywood as a racist culture? doubtful anymore, simply because money is a far greater motivator than race could ever hope to be. hollywood is too busy caring about counting its money to give a **** about who they should hate.

You're ruining a perfectly good troll job. Stop making sense!!! :P

Chang Style Novice
05-12-2004, 09:10 PM
"like whatever in this world ****es off CSN. "

Hey, I actually posted on topic today! First time in a while, I admit...

For whatever it's worth, I think MP's complaints about the movie are as valid as Tit Sa's, based on the summaries I've read (as I say, I won't watch it since I am racist against Tom Cruise.) It is perfectly possible, nay, even likely that the flick is demeaning to both cultures it portrays. Just more evidence that it's a waste of celluloid.

rubthebuddha
05-12-2004, 09:59 PM
from the movie, we can infer all sorts of idiotic things. if we look for something that can be construed as racist, we'll undoubtedly find it, regardless of the truth.

i learned last week that the white man is both oppressive and cowardly. on space ghost coast to coast, space ghost abused his prisoners, keeping them trapped in inhumanely small prison pods and even fired his power band lasers at one of the prisoners repeatedly. all the while, space ghost cowardly hid behind his mask, unable to be a true man and show his face. the prisoners were of little threat, yet space ghost abused them unmercifully. :mad:

Tit Sa
05-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Isn't it funny how it's white society and values that are portrayed as corrupting, whereas the values of Japan were so powerful and noble they turned somebody's empty life around?

If you white guys are dumb enough to poke fun of urself what does that say about the asian man having a fair shake?

At least rubthebuddha makes logical sense. Where as you, your not even a good troll.

Merryprankster
05-13-2004, 04:30 AM
on the other hand, I don't run around looking for racism everywhere I am.

It's a bit silly, don't you think? Surely you've something better to do rather than whine about perceived racism. It's absurd. Nobody was trying to make a statement. They wanted to tell a story.

Political movies - genuine political flicks - make waves, but not oodles of cash. What do you think hollywood cares about?

If I'm a bad troll, it's because the material I was given to work with was crap. I made EXACTLY the same points you did, just backwards.

MasterKiller
05-13-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
specific directors in hollywood may be racist, sure. even mel brooks (who hates no one but makes fun of everyone, particularly his own self) needs an antithesis, but hollywood as a racist culture? doubtful anymore, simply because money is a far greater motivator than race could ever hope to be. hollywood is too busy caring about counting its money to give a **** about who they should hate. If you read a lot of Hollywood insider stuff, or even watch Dinner for Five on IFC, some actors and directors are pretty adamant that Jewish producers and studio executives do not like to see Jewish people on the screen. Sarah Silverman has been pretty vocal about her inability to land "leading women" type roles because of the Jewish influence in Hollywood decsion making . If anything, the Jewish establishment in Hollywood is self-loathing.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 07:15 AM
"Nobody was trying to make a statement. They wanted to tell a story."

See, I think this is only about half true. In the case of a big dumb, pretentious blockbuster like "The Last Samurai" (yeah, I know I'm passing judgement on it without seeing it, but there's plenty of secondhand info in these threads and elsewhere to lead me to this conclusion) telling a story is only part of the motive of the filmmakers. They don't just want to entertain their audience, they also want to make their audience feel like they're getting an education and becoming smarter and wiser without actually doing any of the work. This is, in a nutshell, what I mean by pretentious. So, in a "Last Samurai" or a "Dances With Wolves" or similar, you have all these signifiers that what's you're watching is real and important and real important. Now, since audiences on the whole are lazy and want to be pandered to, lots of people are willing to swallow any kind of garbage without applying critical thinking to it, especially if its the kind of garbage that confirm's their prejudices while pretending to challenge them - again, there's that laziness thing. That's the essential problem with these kinds of pictures as opposed to something like The Mummy or Indiana Jones and so on. The second kind of picture doesn't make any claims to importance in its style and structure, but Last Samurai flavor pictures do. The fact that they ultimately AREN'T any better or smarter than the explicitly escapist movies give's Tit Sa's critiques some validity, in my opinion. There is certainly plenty degrading or just plain unfactual in The Mummy as well as in The Last Samurai, but because The Last Samurai is delivered as a serious movie, it makes sense to address its flaws as more serious.

red5angel
05-13-2004, 07:20 AM
you know what I don't like? Why is chinese guys can fly through the air and perform incredible feats of acrobatics and kungfu, while white guys can sort of kick butt but can't seem to fly through the air or perform really incredible feats of acrobatics, just some kind of cool feats of acrobatics?

Also, why is it Hollywood is always trying to put women in a box wher ethey have to be skinny and hot to be in the movies? Why can't fat chicks make it too?
and hell while we're there why is it everyone has to be good looking in hollywood? I think that's racist against ugly people.

lots of people are willing to swallow any kind of garbage without applying critical thinking to it

I got some advice for you CSN, stop taking the movies so seriously and don't worry about the mindless masses. Seriously, I don't think The Last Samurai was meant to educate anyone, it was made to tell a story and make some money.

That's the essential problem with these kinds of pictures as opposed to something like The Mummy or Indiana Jones

Apparently you never saw the Temple of Doom. It took the white guy, the White chick and a little chinese kid to save India.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Seriously, I don't think The Last Samurai was meant to educate anyone, it was made to tell a story and make some money.

Yeah, but it was made to do that while making people BELIEVE that they were learning something. That was part of its selling point "learn about the noble and inscrutable ways of the samurai - won't that make you cool?"

The fact that what it delivered was inaccurate - as nobody seems to dispute - makes it not just bad, but arguably racist, since it does lead people to racist conclusions.

I think you guys are making a mistake by underestimating the amount of influence these kinds of cultural artifacts have on our thinking. I think you're making another mistake by persistently conflating explicitly fantasy movies with allegedly realistic movies.

That's really important, so I'll repeat it in bold and italic:

I think you guys are making a mistake by underestimating the amount of influence these kinds of cultural artifacts have on our thinking. I think you're making another mistake by persistently conflating explicitly fantasy movies with allegedly realistic movies. People will understand that the former is frivolously but will often make the mistake that the latter is serious. I think if you are going to demand to be taken seriously you have an obligation to treat your subject seriously. "The Last Samurai" and so forth ask to be taken seriously and then present poorly thought-out (yet comforting) fictions that mislead people into idiotic notions about the world and history (like a American drunkard would be accepted as a Samurai by a conservative segment of Japanese society in the 19th century.)

Apparently you never saw the Temple of Doom. It took the white guy, the White chick and a little chinese kid to save India.

Heh! Funny, but it has nothing to do with my point, which is that no-one believes Indiana Jones is an accurate portrayal of reality, where I bet LOTS of people think The Last Samurai is a realistic portrayal of Japanese culture.

MasterKiller
05-13-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
[B]I got some advice for you CSN, stop taking the movies so seriously and don't worry about the mindless masses. Seriously, I don't think The Last Samurai was meant to educate anyone, it was made to tell a story and make some money. When Hollywood quits taking itself so seriously, and actors and directors quit taking their role in society so seriously, people like me and CSN will quit judging them so seriously.

Movies are actually a pretty powerful medium. Think about all the things you do and say, the times you relate something in your life to something that happened in a movie, and vice versa. Movies are an important vehicle in modern times for social and political ideas to be spread. Look at how much time we spend talking about them here.

Apparently you never saw the Temple of Doom. It took the white guy, the White chick and a little chinese kid to save India. There have only been 2 Indiana Jones movies. This other you speak of.....it never happened. ;)

red5angel
05-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Yeah, but it was made to do that while making people BELIEVE that they were learning something. That was part of its selling point "learn about the noble and inscrutable ways of the samurai - won't that make you cool?"

I think that's a matter of perception and misfounded logic. I never once saw an ad for The Last Samurai" that said that I was going to have fun, enjoy the movie and learn something too. nor did I go into the movie expecting to learn anything about Japanese culture, american culture, or the Samurai. I went in to see some guys chop each other up with some cool swords and wearing cool armor. that's what I got, towards the end anyway.

The fact that what it delivered was inaccurate - as nobody seems to dispute - makes it not just bad, but arguably racist, since it does lead people to racist conclusions.

again, misguided logic - first you state the public is too stupid to realise that the movie is inaccurate at best, but then you imply they are smart enough to get the message on their own that americans or white people must be better then the Japanese. My guess is the only two kinds of people who are really picking up on that sort of message are the overly sensitive and the already racists.
I personally think you guys are way overestimating the effect these kinds of movies have. I've never heard anyone say something like - wow, I'm so glad I'm white since in this or that movie that culture obviously had to be saved by a white guy. I've certainly heard some strange ideas on certain things, like say Samurai, or Native Americans, propogated by people who haven't given it enough thought. I certianly have to wonder how offensive this stuff is really meant to be since there were tons of Japanese guys in The Last Samurai, and tons of Native Americans in Dances with Wolves. ;)
I think your misguided accusations are inaccurate anyway. If anything it's not about race but culture. It took an American to save the Samurai Culture, not a white guy to save the Japanese.

red5angel
05-13-2004, 07:39 AM
When Hollywood quits taking itself so seriously, and actors and directors quit taking their role in society so seriously, people like me and CSN will quit judging them so seriously.

so whose the bigger fool? ;)

There have only been 2 Indiana Jones movies. This other you speak of.....it never happened. :D

LOL! too true.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 07:48 AM
first you state the public is too stupid to realise that the movie is inaccurate at best, but then you imply they are smart enough to get the message on their own that americans or white people must be better then the Japanese.

These don't really have anything to do with each other, except that they're parts of the same problem. The message the movie sends is that it's a realistic, accurate portrayal of the times it shows, so some people take it at face value. Then, because they wouldn't go see a movie about Japan unless it had a hook they could relate to (like a white lead character) they get a distorted version of that reality, because that's what the producer or studio or Tom Cruise or whoever thinks will sell tickets. Which leads me to my next quote.

've certainly heard some strange ideas on certain things, like say Samurai, or Native Americans, propogated by people who haven't given it enough thought. I certianly have to wonder how offensive this stuff is really meant to be since there were tons of Japanese guys in The Last Samurai, and tons of Native Americans in Dances with Wolves.

Now you're sounding like we agree. Some folks come away from these kind of 'serious' 'educational' movies thinking they know something, but what they 'know' is wrong. That's a pretty serious problem, in my view.

red5angel
05-13-2004, 07:55 AM
I still don't agree that these movies are selling themselves as intelligent or atleast educational. Some may try to be thought provoking but usually on a different level then just cultural.

Now you're sounding like we agree. Some folks come away from these kind of 'serious' 'educational' movies thinking they know something, but what they 'know' is wrong. That's a pretty serious problem, in my view.

What we don't agree with is on the source of the ignorance. You say it's the movies, I say it's the people who get these misguided impressions form the movies. My guess is you may do something like I do after seeing a movie that interestes you. I generally go and take the time to look into whatever it is that caught my eye. Let's say Samurai in this movie. If the Samurai intrigue me, then I certainly am not going to consider the movie a good source of info on Samurai. So I buy some books, read some websites, maybe post on this forum. I get my opinions on that culture form more informed venues, not hollywood.
It's not Hollywoods job to educate but to entertain. I don't agree that they are trying to educate, but they are trying to make money. Some misguidance might stem from one of the movie makers misguided understandings, and that may be passed on to those too ignorant or lazy to figure it out on their own, but that is their problem, not the movies.

MasterKiller
05-13-2004, 07:59 AM
If it were a book, filled with inaccuracies about Samurai culture, with no footnote saying "this is all crap for entertainment purposes", would you be pizzed after reading it? Would you dismiss it as trash fiction?

red5angel
05-13-2004, 08:05 AM
That depends, did the book advertise itself as fiction or fact? Is it supposed to be educational?

If I were watching the history channel and I saw a film on the Samurai that was inaccurate, I could understand the disappointment, but for the love of god, Hollywood?!

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 08:06 AM
I don't agree that they are trying to educate, but they are trying to make money.

Red, you're starting to irk me a bit now. I agree with this quote completely. I've repeatedly said that the problem is that these kinds of movies are filled with signifiers that they are to be taken seriously, which distinguishes them from other movies which don't carry the same weight of pretension. You're not listening to what I'm saying here.

To sum up - they are trying to FEEL educational without actually BEING educational. Some (generally not very bright) people are fooled by this feeling and think they are getting educated. It's a sleazy marketing tactic that leads to a misinformed audience.

Yes, the audience is at fault for not being more critical. But the filmmakers share the blame for presenting themselves as responsible and trustworthy.

red5angel
05-13-2004, 08:27 AM
CSN, I understand exactly what you are saying and that is what I am disagreeing with. I don't believe that they ARE trying to "feel" EDUCATIONAL. I believe that they aren't trying to feel educational, although they may try to get you to think, it's not usually about the cultures or whatnot but about the poeples motivation.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Well, in that case we can agree to disagree. It seemed we were talking past each other for a while there, and that just drives me nuts.

Of course, I'm still right and you're still wrong!;)

red5angel
05-13-2004, 08:51 AM
LOL! or so hollywood, maybe I'll make a movie about this.... ;)

rubthebuddha
05-13-2004, 09:30 AM
in the case of the last samurai, i'll have to go with CSN on this one, at least if you're speaking in regard to the dvd. the dvd has a special feature with noted asian culture and history expert tom cruise speaking, with the history channel logo in the background, actually explaining a bit about japanese history and the nature of samurai. that right there is reason enough to get the impression that the last samurai was assuming an air of authenticity.

in the case of mk and csn, i'm pretty sure (;)) they're smArt enough to know that the last samurai has ginormous gaps and inaccuracies. however, i think they're pleading on behalf of the lowest common denominator -- the lowest average intelligence -- of the film's potential audience that won't realize these inaccuracies:

texans and oklahomans. :eek:

red5angel
05-13-2004, 09:35 AM
then in the case of the DVD I could agree. Is Tom Cruise that far off? Maybe his sources were bad. Maybe those crazy asians only gave him a little bit of the truth and not the whole thing! :)

I do not argue for the lowest common denominator, if they can't figure it out for themselves I'm certainly not going to get upset about it.

MasterKiller
05-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
however, i think they're pleading on behalf of the lowest common denominator -- the lowest average intelligence -- of the film's potential audience that won't realize these inaccuracies:

texans and oklahomans. :eek: OKlahomans only know one thing: Texas has hotter chicks, and most of them play football for UT.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 09:44 AM
In semi-related news... (http://drafthouse.com/online_tix/show_details.asp?show_id=1860)

Christopher M
05-13-2004, 09:52 AM
While we're on the subject, I found the depiction of the petit objet a in Cremaster III to be totally unrealistic. First of all, petit objet a results from the Other's lack, apropos the hytericizing gaze - not jouissance, which is signifier for the Real!!!

But I guess red5angel is right... I mean, if you're too stupid to even figure that out, you deserve to lie in the bed you made.

The Willow Sword
05-13-2004, 11:24 AM
So up in arms about this movie and its apparent "inconsistancies" and whatever else one may deem "unrealistic" about this movie.

I happened to LIKE this Movie Alot,,,,and i guess that i am one of the people "Intelligent" enough to know that this movie is not based on any true event. it may reflect some actual events in the political history of japan and america at the time but the fact still remains that THIS IS ONLY A MOVIE. Jesus i swear you nellies are like a sewing circle of old ladies with too much make up,,perfume,,and hairspray and time on your hands to. LOLOL.

My take on the inconsistancies of the film that i thought was "corny", but that did not take away from my like of the movie, was that Tom Cruise became a master swordsman in one season.
however,,,okay so are we going to slow the movie down for everyones opinion of what is "accurate" we gonna put 20 years of sword play in to two and a half hours of movie reel time? uhhhh NO. this is not a Peter Jackson film :p .

the other aspect that i found kind of corny is that he was the only survivor in a barrage of Gatlin gun fire. he would have been turned in to swiss cheese as well and i probably would have liked the film even better if he died in it and there was an honoring of him by both sides,,but HEY that is my own OBJECTIVE Critique of the film.

As far as this film having racist under tones?,,,BS.

heheh funny comments also about this being the Japanese "dances with wolves" if anyone had bothered to see the full directors version of Dances with wolves(which made the 3 hour film a 4 1/2 hour film,,there would have been some things that would have made sense in that film and made it a more well recieved picture) but that is how hollywood works these days,,they release a partial version of the film and then , for money and marketing reasons they release the "directors cut" which is the the way the film was supposed to be viewed in the first place (ie: the LOTR series.) i can only assume that there will be a directors version of "last samurai" to come out in the fall or whenever that will fill thegaps and holes.

PEACE,,,TWS

Tit Sa
05-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Movies such as these have more influence on attitude than some of you probably would think.

Every corporation in the world knows the power of advertising. For example, for almost a century? corporations have taught Americans it is cool to smoke cigarettes. In the last 30 or so years we all know the adverse health that comes from smoking. Yet people still smoke! and I am not talking about older addicted generations, young people too. As a matter of fact woman smokers has been on the rise.

And that is just corporations, government knows how easily and, well,.. for lack of a better word how stupid the general population is. Anyone heard about the Brookings Report during our early days of space exploration.

When people watch hrs. and hrs. of movies and advertisement dipicting certain people acting in certain ways, what will you think will happen. We all like to think we are the smart ones who can't be influenced, but polls have been conducted before we all heard the results. I don't have specifics but I am sure you can find them pretty easily on the net.

For you Bruce Lee fans can explain better, but it was only 30 years ago since he got turned down for Kwai Chang Caine instead they chose Carradine, b/c Bruce looks too Chinese! and didn't act like the castrated fortune cookie they wanted. Do you think these same people somehow just magically changed their views becasue of a couple of laws that passed?

To give you some of my personal experience I still had some people who think asians are all good in math, and they would say that to me.

red5angel
05-13-2004, 11:46 AM
This reminds me of a conversation I had a year ago with a vietnamese freind of mine. See, he fels asians are smarter then just about everyone else, I should say Asian men. Anyway, apparently it goes beyond that cause we were talking about the martial arts, and he says to me "I shoud get into that, I'd be good at it." I asked him why he thought he would be good at it, and he replied "Cause I'm asian, it's in my blood." that answer is verbatim what he said to me. the conversation went ****her, but I'm not sure I convinced him that's an inaccurate way of looking at the world.

Tit Sa
05-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Well he is just as stupid as the people who made Kungfu, and Last Samurai.

Single personal experiences don't really mean much in this context. I just thought I add in my 2cent. What does matter is a consistent pattern.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Christopher M cracks me up...:D

Did you really get to see the Cremaster Cycle? Lucky SOB. When it was here in Austin, I was too broke to even see a single part of it.:mad:

Christopher M
05-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Haha, no, not really. I'm poor as hell too. It was just the nuttiest thing that came to mind. I would have looooooved to though.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Matthew Barney would totally choke out Tom Cruise.

unkokusai
05-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Tit Sa
Movies such as these have more influence on attitude than some of you probably would think.

It certainly got you goin'!

unkokusai
05-13-2004, 01:25 PM
What does matter is a consistent pattern.

Like the one you display?

@PLUGO
05-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Now that's the stuff of HORROR Films . . .

Tit Sa
05-13-2004, 05:40 PM
It certainly got you goin'!

As much as got you white guys with yellow fever.

Like the one you display?

And the one you deny.

unkokusai
05-13-2004, 05:51 PM

And the one you deny.

You've got a lot of imagination, but not a drop of sense.

Tit Sa
05-14-2004, 04:26 AM
You've got a lot of imagination, but not a drop of sense.

My imagination still can't see you as anything but ignorant and blind.

Internal Boxer
05-14-2004, 04:58 AM
Whats yours? a Pint of Bitter????:rolleyes:

(joke for Brits)

unkokusai
05-14-2004, 06:44 AM

My imagination still can't see you as anything but ignorant and blind.

I'm sure you see everyone who doesn't agree with you in a similar fashion. :rolleyes:

red5angel
05-14-2004, 07:45 AM

wait , I thought yellow fever meant you liked asians?!

Chang Style Novice
05-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Yellow Fever (http://www.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/yellowfever.htm)

Description

Yellow fever is a mosquito-borne viral disease. Illness ranges in severity from an influenza-like syndrome to severe hepatitis and hemorrhagic fever. Yellow fever is caused by a zoonotic virus that is maintained in nature by transmission between nonhuman primates and mosquito vectors. In some situations, humans may serve as the primary host in the transmission cycle (“urban yellow fever”).

Occurrence

The disease occurs only in sub-Saharan Africa and tropical South America (see Maps 3–9 and 3–10), where it is endemic and intermittently epidemic. In Africa, a variety of vectors are responsible for the disease, and it is in Africa where most cases are reported. The case-fatality rate is >20%, and infants and children are at greatest risk for infection. In South America, cases occur most frequently in young men who have occupational exposure to mosquito vectors in forested or transitional areas of Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Peru.

red5angel
05-14-2004, 07:48 AM
hehe, that too.

Chang Style Novice
05-14-2004, 07:55 AM
I gotta say, man, rereading this thread and going from you me and mk talking out our positions and seeking common ground and focussing on the facts before us and the issues thus raised and then seeing unko and titsa flinging insults at each other really makes me...

something.

PR!CK!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: ;)

red5angel
05-14-2004, 08:02 AM
well that's the internet for what it's worth!

Tit Sa
05-14-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm sure you see everyone who doesn't agree with you in a similar fashion.

Nah, other people disagree with me. I just think you are extremly ignorant.

unkokusai
05-14-2004, 01:01 PM

Nah, other people disagree with me. I just think you are extremly ignorant.

Because...

Tit Sa
05-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Re-read your post objectively and carefully. You continue to prove my description of you constantly.

rubthebuddha
05-14-2004, 03:12 PM
if you guys wish to discuss your sentiments for each other, feel free to do it anywhere other than here. i've warned each of you already. don't do it again.

unkokusai
05-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Re-read your post objectively and carefully. You continue to prove my description of you constantly.

Send me a PM with specifics, or better yet don't. For some reason, people are not appreciating this gripping exchange of pleasantries.

To conclude, any reply from you I'll expect in a PM or not at all (by popular demand)

Merryprankster
05-17-2004, 06:36 AM
Just a friendly reminder: Remember that today's pop culture is tomorrow's classic art.

Take Shakespeare....or Homer....

MasterKiller
05-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Just a friendly reminder: Remember that today's pop culture is tomorrow's classic art.

Take Shakespeare....or Homer.... Massive amounts of pop culture are historically discarded and forgotten about. Just because something is in print, either bound or on film, doesn't gurantee it will remain in the public consciousness.

Shakespeare was the Francis Ford Coppola of his day. There were plenty of other Michael Bay's no one has heard of since...

rubthebuddha
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Just because something is in print, either bound or on film, doesn't gurantee it will remain in the public consciousness. thankfully, in regards to stuff like nktob, mk is spot on.

YinYangDagger
05-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Did I mention that I really liked the movie The Last Samurai? It was cool....