PDA

View Full Version : tongue

foolinthedeck
05-11-2004, 01:49 PM
regarding the tongue touching the pallet / top of mouth, which seems to be fairly commonly done in taiji, yoga, qigong etc to connect the microcosmic orbit ren/du meridians etc..

so how come all the 'relaxation' ie Jane Madders, Claire Weekes, etc literature in physiotherapy, occupational therapy etc (my field) says to let the tongue go loosely to the base of the mouth?

I let my tongue tip touch the top of mouth after several years of training its natural, but what should i be telling anxious people who are trying to relax? should i follow the 'rules' of qigong even though these folks arent practicing qigong exercises or should i follow the western 'experts'?

thoughts please?

QuaiJohnCain
05-12-2004, 02:53 PM
There's a big difference between the way westerners think of relaxation, and what "sung" really means. As far as holding up the tongue goes, no more tension than is neccessary to pronounce an "n" when you speak.

Western therapy is less than 100 years old, and takes years to begin showing results.

Qigong has nearly 6000 years of use and refinement, and can produce results the first time it's practiced.

Which system knows better?