PDA

View Full Version : "never go to the ground if you don't have to."

T'ai Ji Monkey
05-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Found something interesting on the net, that you guys might enjoy:

Groundwork
Some people say that ground fighting is just like stand up fighting -- untrue. It's much harder. I spent years in judo and some time in BJJ and will state, everyone needs direct and simple training to deal with the ground -- especially getting up fast,and that was the theme here. The same exceptional crew, Christian and Johnny, taught the groundwork. The emphasis was "never go to the ground if you don't have to." There are so many more variables on the ground; you could hurt yourself with glass or metal, your attacker could have several friends jump on you, etc., all essential elements were taught.

You can read all about it over here:
http://www.realfighting.com/issue6/mccann.html

See ya round you bunch of wannabee warriors. :D

Chang Style Novice
05-11-2004, 08:46 PM
I haven't read the whole article, but that quote, especially the part highlighted sounds remarkably like common sense that virtually no one would disagree with.

rubthebuddha
05-11-2004, 11:59 PM
aside from the rare and random nutrider that trots in from another forum, i don't think i've seen anyone say, "go to the ground even if you don't have to."

it's like sex: you need to be skilled in many ranges and positions -- and practice them regularly -- if you wish to be successful.

Judge Pen
05-12-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha

it's like sex: you need to be skilled in many ranges and positions -- and practice them regularly -- if you wish to be successful.

OK RTB, you are not going to be my ground-fighting training partner! :p

Ray Pina
05-12-2004, 06:29 AM
I don't think it's a matter of "have to" as much as a matter of "no choice."

I never see the need to have to go down. If I'm much bigger or better than the guy I can throw him around at will. But if he's bigger or better than me there's a chance he can get to me and take me down .... no choice in the matter. I can only choose how I deal with being down.

Merryprankster
05-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Personally, I prefer crying like a little girl and begging for forgiveness.

red5angel
05-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Personally, I prefer crying like a little girl and begging for forgiveness.

yes, we know ;) From what I understand you like to cry after sex too, unless 7* is lying.....

Merryprankster
05-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Hold me?