PDA

View Full Version : Adapt or imitate

red5angel
05-12-2004, 08:10 AM
When you train, are you trying to imitate what you are being shown, or are you trying to adapt it to your own physique and ability? Is it a gradual progression from one to the other? A mix of both?

MasterKiller
05-12-2004, 08:33 AM
At first you try to imitate moves. Later, you begin to adapt them to your abilities.

Starchaser107
05-12-2004, 09:33 AM
well i suppose it depends on what is being shown.
if it's a form i guess i would mimic and then when i begin to understand it i adapt it and express it based on those criteria you mentioned : body type , abilities etc.
if it's just kicking and punching , i believe that it's in my best interest to mimic the correct, i'm not really interested in artistically interpreting a straight , jab or a hook with regards to proper body mechanics. if you want to say both for such drills then fine i wouldn't complain either.
in terms of fighting though i think adapting (in terms of personal evolution, and using techs in a way befitting said attributes) plays a significant role.
also adapting (based on each fighter, not fighting in the same way for different opponents) would be the ideal, although sometimes i'm guilty of falling into patterns. like everyone else is.
I hope this made sense.
peace.

No_Know
05-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Imitate the concept. Adapt to the ideal, not merely how was shown.

SevenStar
05-12-2004, 12:40 PM
What MK said.

red5angel
05-12-2004, 01:15 PM
What if for some reason or another, you can't imitate what you are being shown? Maybe it's not that you can't do the technique but that you cannot mimick it. Can you still keep the principles and ideas of that art and or technique?

joedoe
05-12-2004, 03:51 PM
I try to mimic the correct way - not just the movement but every detail of it. I try it various ways until I think I have it right, then I ask my teacher if it is right.

MasterKiller
05-13-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
What if for some reason or another, you can't imitate what you are being shown? Maybe it's not that you can't do the technique but that you cannot mimick it. Can you still keep the principles and ideas of that art and or technique? No two people in the same style will fight the same way because of body type and ability.You maintain the core principles, but execute them according to how you can use them to your advantage. That's called flavor, and it allows for personal expression through combat. Otherwise, you're just a robot.

red5angel
05-13-2004, 07:42 AM
have you ever met or come across an instructor who doesn't seem to understand that? That people are not made equally and that sometimes things need to be adapted to one's own personal way? Is it a system thing, like maybe those people just need to find a system that better suits them?

Shaolinlueb
05-13-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
No two people in the same style will fight the same way because of body type and ability.You maintain the core principles, but execute them according to how you can use them to your advantage. That's called flavor, and it allows for personal expression through combat. Otherwise, you're just a robot.

domo origato mr roboto :D

i try to immitate a form like my sifu shows. i try to get the right movements and such but i put my own flavor in it cause i cant get my body to move like it suppossed to sometimes.....but thats what practice is for right?

MasterKiller
05-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
have you ever met or come across an instructor who doesn't seem to understand that? That people are not made equally and that sometimes things need to be adapted to one's own personal way? Is it a system thing, like maybe those people just need to find a system that better suits them? My only experience is within my style, for the most part, so I've never had anyone tell me I had to do a move precisely like them. My teachers stress the principle has to be correct, but allow personal flavor to influence execution.

SLC
05-13-2004, 12:41 PM
"... people are not made equally and that sometimes things need to be adapted to one's own personal way? Is it a system thing, like maybe those people just need to find a system that better suits them?"

I think it can be a system thing OR just a small aspect of a system.

An example is that, at my age, I'm not going to be doing Capiroriara (Spelling?). I no longer have the flexibility to manage that. So, as a style, it is not effective for me.

Following a karate style, however, I can manage probably 90% of the techniques. But, in this style, hand joint problems keep me from be much good at traps and locks. So I focus more on movement, and strikes and kicks (low).

Another point would be a woman's perspective,vrs a man's. Men are almost ALWAYS ready to close when there is an opening. Women rarely are because it is COMPLETELY all or nothing once a woman is inside. She's like an elephant hunter with just one shot.

Back around to the original question, an individual learns the principle, as MK said, but MUST adapt them. A good teacher should know this.

Starchaser107
05-13-2004, 08:18 PM
"An example is that, at my age, I'm not going to be doing Capiroriara (Spelling?). I no longer have the flexibility to manage that. So, as a style, it is not effective for me."

I think what is being asked is that even at an advanced age can one still apply the pinciples of say.."regional capoiera" while not necessarily employing the techniques.

i think its possible.
it would still be capoiera , you might not be moving as low or flipping , but it's the principles of the fighting art that matter.
not necessarily the techs , as techs can be modified to suit you the individual
imo