PDA

View Full Version : books by Park Bok Nam

Falcor
05-12-2004, 11:18 AM
HI, I've been reading the two Bagua (or Pa Kua as he spells it) books by Park Bok Nam (go figure - the local library has them) and was wondering what people thought of the books. I know that the man and his schools are sometimes a source of controversy or debate, but what about the information contained in the books themselves?

Josh Vogel
05-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi,

I don't know the man or anyone that's spent a long time at his school, but as far as the books go they seem to be very good compared to other stuff that is out there. Usually I find that Bagua books go very little into anything other than basic circle walking and some palm changes with mysterious alchemical things thrown in there or something "Taoist" thrown in there. Mr. Park's books seem to go pretty in depth into his way of doing stuff and to me that's A-okay.
Thanks,
Josh

Ma_Xu_Zha
05-20-2004, 07:18 AM
personally I dont know why he published his books and videos cause Park personally doesnt like people to be "copy people"...that is read the book and try doing bagua without a qualified instructor. You can try to copy the moves but you might practice it wrong making bad habits.

I went to his school and Park is very strict teacher wanting perfection and correctness in every movement. He teaches with great detail and makes you have to think about the 'why' of each movement and analyze it through and through. he teaches theory, philosophy as well. this is a great quality because you actually get alot out of it and appreciate and value it more.

with the long hours of basic training in the palm striking techniques, footwork, palm changes and circle walking techniques you actually have something.

the book are great references, great information for all bagua people and i still use some of his basics, exercises, and drills when I teach bagua to my friend even though I moved on to research other styles of baguazhang. What makes Park an exceptional teacher is he is pakua guy and nothing more, not taiji, not hsingyi, not 10 other martial arts.