PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Combat is a waist of Time

madlilpimp
05-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Hand to hand combat has no place in the real world, training the martial arts with the idea of self defense is a waist of time. Its learing skills which you are unlikely to use. Most martial artists seem to train train ma with the idea of self defense and have always critisized arts which are more concerned with the sporting version of combat.but the only place most people will ever experiance hand to hand combat is in the sporting arena. When will you ever use those techniques that are "too dangerous" for the ring?

If you were to get attacked in the streets that person is likely to carrying some sort of weapon. You cant fight an armed attacker its either you run or you arm yourself. In the past major diputes/
differences or honour have always been solved using swords and machetes. These days why would you fight anybody? if the differences are that bad that you believe you need to use violence you're better of just
using weapons.

SevenStar
05-13-2004, 03:54 PM

Mediocrity
05-13-2004, 03:55 PM
I give it a 2. He spelled it "waist".

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2004, 04:24 PM
I think the username 'madlilpimp' is enough to dock him another point and a half for a final score of 0.5.

Vio
05-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Very true...... 10

joedoe
05-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Nice troll, but I will bite :)

So, when all these useless arts were developed, they didn't have weapons?

T'ai Ji Monkey
05-13-2004, 05:12 PM
I give him an 3 for enthusiasm and a -3 for execution.

Total Score: 0
:D

rogue
05-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Hmmmm, says he does Wing chun.

differences or honour have always been solved using swords and machetes. These days why would you fight anybody? Guess he's never been to a bar.

Dim Wit Mak
05-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Pimp: If you are open to logic then you will entertain these points. If not then dealing with your "observations" is a waste of time.

1) Martial arts are fun. Many people like myself enjoy learning them, but hope we never have to use them in a physical confrontation.
2) Every day that I have dealt with conflict successfully, I have successfully defended myself. Many martial arts deal with resolving conflict without force if possible. It is part of the curriculum with Aikido, Five Animal Kung Fu, some kenpo systems, etc.
3) People can be separated from their weapons. The liklihood of this happening varies from person to person, but the possibility is always there. To know what to do when the person is armed, disarmed, or unarmed is part of our studies. Of course, I'd rather have a weapon if a problem arises, but I may not. In kenpo we spend a great deal of time on identifying and using "makeshift" weapons.
4) When/if something does happen, I am physically and psychologically prepared to deal with it. There is a large segment of the martial arts community that trains in something that they hope they never have to use. These people know their capabilities and are much less likely to be targeted as a victim by a perp. They have a presence about them.

Now if you are pursuing any "useless" activities, keep it up. If you enjoy it, then it's no one elses business.

EarthDragon
05-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Mediocrity,
waist ..............LOL I thought I was the only one who caught that!

That's classic, with that kind of spelling and that thug screen name he could only have such a job.

Banjos_dad
05-17-2004, 01:54 PM

for the laughs I get thinkign about someone b1tch slapping imaginarypimp's lil head, & taking off with his "hoe."

-2 for him actually meaning it?

-2 troll penalty

=

BlueTravesty
05-17-2004, 02:04 PM
I'll go for the -0.5, but make sure to dock a point if he tries to claim that "waist" is the Oxford English Dictionary spelling.

what's REALLY sad is that he edited the post and still managed to miss that :(

Xebsball
05-17-2004, 07:50 PM
dont turn your backs on cruel reality

scotty1
05-18-2004, 02:32 AM
-10 for being from Bedfordshire.

j/k RobP. :D

Banjos_dad
05-18-2004, 05:08 AM
How many times does it bear pointing out that the concealed weapons advocates are never armed when challenged "on the spot."

Ray Pina
05-18-2004, 09:05 AM
You are certainly right to a point. I carry a knife and actually want to begin learning to use/handle firearms.

My biggest concern actually -- which was an issue a few weeks ago -- is that if I'm forced to act now I feel the need to have to completely demolish the guy out of fear that if he recovers while I'm in the area he may pull a knife or gun and esculate the situation to an undesirable level.

This is a real problem but a reality of the world we live in today. Generally I view my training as chess -- I'll fight someone to test my skill and strategy with the side benefit that at most civil parties and gatherings I don't have to take any $hit.

Banjos_dad
05-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Well the concealed weapons are out there...but in the context of martial arts skeptics, the kind who say, "If you tried that kungfu stuff on me I'd just pull out my trusty .357 & put a slug between your eyes...":
They invariably fail to pull out the weapon.
Because it's a hypothetical weapon loaded with theoretical bullets.

GroungJing
05-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Call the guy a troll but he does have a point.

After twenty years of martial arts experience I still can be taken out by a twelve year old with a glock.

scotty1
05-19-2004, 01:33 AM
His point is flawed, especially in the UK.

A huge number of our town and city centres are prime areas for getting a good kicking from some drunk w@nker after chucking out time. In fact, in general, violent crime is supposed to be on the rise in Britain.

There are lots of situations where you may have to protect yourself from a physical attack, without the situation being a life or death one, with the combatants being prepared to kill each other.

:)