PDA

View Full Version : Step-ups as a quad exercise

IronFist
05-13-2004, 11:26 PM
I didn't read this yet, but here's (http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/275860/) a discussion at Dragon Door with a link to an article about Bulgarians liking them.

They're supposed to be good if you do them with heavy weights. I think they just get a bad rep because it's mostly girls doing them with light weights.

I think I may even give them a try after I finish this squat cycle.

IronFist
05-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Here's something peculiar. Look at this excerpt from the article:

. Proceed to 45 pounds for six reps (45x6), 110x3. I32x3, 150x3, l60x3 for three sets, 135 x6 for three sets and sets of 115x3 to failure.

First they use all 1's, "110x3."

Then it becomes an "i": I32x3

Then a 1 again

Then a lower case "L": l60x3

And then 1's again.

How the hell do you accidently hit an L or an i when you mean to hit a "1?" They're not even close to each other on the keyboard.

Ford Prefect
05-14-2004, 06:14 AM
lol! I dunno. That is pretty weird.

I do step-ups every so often. I always looked at 'em as more of a ham-glute thing though. It's like doing a parellel squat with one leg.

Pork Chop
05-14-2004, 07:37 AM
that can happen with adobe character recognition.
say you scan a document, then adobe converts some of it to text, then you cut and paste from that to put it somewhere else.
some of the characters can be converted; especially when the scan's not good or when there's handwriting involved.
ts become +s and some such.

At least once a week I've been doing a superset that goes something like:
10 overhead squats
1 aerobics floor length lunges walking forward (about 6 to 8 each leg)
1 aerobics floor length lunges walking backward (6 to 8 ea leg)

I do this twice. With 30 pound dbells and then 40 pound dbells.
I know that's pretty weak so far, but it's hard as heck and exhausting to boot.

As to what this has to do with step ups; the more the incline the more the thing's going to work your hams. You can notice a similar thing when you climb stairs, taking 2 or 3 at a time. The angle of the hip and upper thigh goes beyond 90 (err angle becomes more acute) and the ham & glute takes most of the weight.

For quads I would thing step-downs or step-backs would be more beneficial.

FooFighter
05-16-2004, 05:56 PM
In "The Poliquin Principle" on page 80, the Step-Up is listed as a hamstring exercise because it involves hip extension which is one of the hamstrings primary functions. Height of the step increases the effectiveness of hamstrings development. I have tried this exercise in the past and remembered my lower back, butt, and hams were sore like hell because I focused on the negatives movement of this exercise.

blooming lotus
05-16-2004, 09:00 PM
don't have tme tpo do the article but I think ( from personal experience and matt furey subscription)..that it's to do with rest perisod and quality....maybe de and re emphasising various fibres for diffent max. results pending point in cycle....