PDA

View Full Version : Time??

william
05-14-2004, 07:34 AM
I just wanted to ask, how people time manage to get the most amount of training time possible.

I guess everyone has that dream, of just quiting everything and heading off to china to do kung fu all day and mediate and stuff, up some mountain.

I used to train lots more when i was at college (Uk version of school from 16-18), I was single and could be quite reclusive. I used to get up real early, and time was mine, I could do what I wanted when i wanted to.

Well, I came to university got a girlfriend, and a stack load of lectures and courswork/exams., and now when everything is done, all work, ample time with woman, shopping etc. I am shatterd and just wanna sleep, hardly have any 'me' time to do things I like kung fu etc.

So what I wanted to ask is how do you busy guys fit it all in, especially if you have families? Is it just about being really focused with your time, and having good discipline ect?

What sparked this off was i was reading some peoples training routines and i thought how the hell do they fit that all in!!

so how do you do it??

W

MasterKiller
05-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Set priorities. You have to give up some things to focus on others. I haven't finished reading a complete book in months because I'm exhausted at night and usually fall asleep a few pages in. And when you do get a chance to workout, maximize your time.

red5angel
05-14-2004, 07:59 AM
What MK said for the most part, it's about priorities almost everytime. I'm married, have a full time job and other hobbies as well. Martial arts has always been a top priority for me, although my wife is number 1, martial arts is a close second now. she knew when we married that martial arts is a big part of my life so she understands that I train everyday for atleast an hour, and have class time on a regular basis.

I try to pick times that are the least intrusive, like in the am before work, or right after work. I don't sweat it if I can't get practice in on a particular day, it happens and sometimes you have to pay attention to your other priorities.
You always have to make sacrifices but it usually all balances out. Balancing things out with my wife is easy, she's in a band and has her own practice a couple of times a week so those are free evenings for me. She is also a late night so on the weekends I get up around 8-9 am and spend the mornings working out.

No_Know
05-14-2004, 08:11 AM
Lecture notes can be read at a desk or table in several ranges of horse-riding stance...or in dragon stance. A book can be held in a Hsing-Yi guard in cat or one legged (?crane)stance.

Hand techniques at least backfists can be trained while reading and sitting in a chair.

Before you go to sleep your torso and arms can be dynamic tensioned and moved. gravity resistance can happen for raised and lowered legs....

Pole techniques can be drilled while reciting answers to the last few tests.

scotty1
05-14-2004, 09:04 AM
I understand your problem William.

I had to really strip down my training into what needs to be done everyday (about 40 mins to an hour, done before work in the AM)
and what can be done in class, or just when i;ve got a minute (form at lunch in a park etc.)

Shaolinlueb
05-14-2004, 09:23 AM
priorities huh MK? well lets see,

1st work
2nd kung fu
3rd family
4th potential for a gf, but we all know monks dont need women. :D

Banjos_dad
05-15-2004, 04:20 AM
My girl loves it that I study kung fu so I'm pretty lucky. She sees the positive influence across our lives. She would be more interested in doing Capoeira though :(
I take classes 4 days a week, three of those are work days. I tend to feel a lot better at work after having trained earlier, except sometimes my feet etc. hurt near the end of the shift. They're supposed to, "gung fu" means hard work.

Just get started training & with some effort you can work out a rewarding training routine.
I don't claim to have a monster training routine like some people, but I am definitely reaping rewards.
Find the best teacher you can.
Friend in kung fu, B_d

dodger87
05-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by No_Know
Lecture notes can be read at a desk or table in several ranges of horse-riding stance...or in dragon stance. A book can be held in a Hsing-Yi guard in cat or one legged (?crane)stance.

Hand techniques at least backfists can be trained while reading and sitting in a chair.

Before you go to sleep your torso and arms can be dynamic tensioned and moved. gravity resistance can happen for raised and lowered legs....

Pole techniques can be drilled while reciting answers to the last few tests.

And everyone else in the lecture room will be like :confused: .

I also have the same problem, lately i have been unable to train for like a month. The only time i could train was during the school holidays. Now im stacked with assignments and tests and my semester 1 exams are coming up soon. And after this will be my entrance exams into uni, so it doesnt look like i will be able to train much this year. But whoever said priority is right. I just decided that me getting into uni is a higher priority than MA so i chose to study rather than train.

And i have thought many times about when i am older about ditching everything and going up into a mountain in china and just training. but thats never gonna happen.

Xebsball
05-15-2004, 08:13 AM
priorities

1) fun
2) music
3) beer
4) chicks

maybe uni is somewhere in there
or not
and yall can suck my ****

YinYangDagger
05-15-2004, 09:17 AM
for anyone that's curious, the above post by Xebs will read **** as c l i t

Xebsball
05-15-2004, 09:39 AM
no man
i meant d-ick
like D-ick Tracy the detective
or like a little tiny small peepee
well in truth its short and thick
one day im gonna get 2 *****es to lick it like a lolipop even if i gotta use $
my buddy told me where/how to goto that kinda *****
but
you always have to use $

one dude once asked me back in highschool:
"Hey man, whats the diference between sex with the girlfriend and sex with a *****?"
I was like: "Hey man, i dont know man."
He was like: "With the girlfriend its more expensive"

SevenStar
05-15-2004, 10:53 AM
since xebs is too much of a schmuck to get a woman, I say we all pitch in and buy him one...

here's a start though - instead of oggling them and then posting about it here, ASK ONE OUT...

Losttrak
05-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Time management:

1. Find your minimum amount of sleep necessary to function.

2. Set a schedule and stick to it without fail!

3. Tell significant others they need to respect this practice time since it is important to you (and of course set aside some time for them to reward them. Nuttin like a breakup to ruin your training)

4. Dovetail your training with everyday actions. If you have an hour lunchbreak at work, find a place to jog to get your cardio or daily stretching out of the way. If you need to do conditioning, bring a bottle and bang your forearms while you are in interim.

5. Optimize your training. Find out which exercises are redundant and cut them out. Find out which training sections can be done quickly and which are slow and juggle with in regards to your time availability. Can you ride a stationary bike while reading your study books?

6. Take a short 20 minute nap every day. Focus will keep you motivated and help you get things done quicker.

fa_jing
05-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Xebsball
no man
i meant d-ick
like D-ick Tracy the detective
or like a little tiny small peepee
well in truth its short and thick

So just find a short, thick woman and rock'n'roll!