PDA

View Full Version : Just got an idea

Pork Chop
05-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Dunno if you've been following any of my threads for any length of time, or if u know me personally; but I have a little balance problem when it comes to squats.

Long story short, my feet are messed up, and I have a un-correctable, serious, structural imbalance between right and left legs; especially concerining flexibility & strength in the feet & ankles.

As a result I can't really squat for cr@p.
After chatting with suntzu I've been doing wide stance squats and going down to almost thighs parallel; squatting into your average horse stance.

This has worked pretty well so far; but as far as squatting form goes, I don't think it's ideal.

The second issue I'm facing is a functional strength requirement. In san shou, like wrestling, you need to drop your hips to pick up an opponent. You want your hips lower than their's to be able to lift them more easily.

I was thinking; normally I do the wide & high squats I described along with straight legged deadlifts. But functionally I don't think the combination has done much for my pick up strength; especially when it comes to form. I'm finding that half the time i'm trying to SLDeadlift the guy instead of dropping those hips.

What would you guys think about replacing both with front squats, conventional, and/or sumo-style deadlifts?
They're closer to my functional requirements (in principle) and can make me not feel so bad about having a crappy squat?

fa_jing
05-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Can you do one-legged squats, airborne lunges, or single-legged deadlifts? I find that when there are imbalances it is good to work out one limb at a time.

Pork Chop
05-14-2004, 02:07 PM
yah I don't have the balance to even do 1-legged squats coz my problems are in the lower leg. I can kinda sorta do 'em on my left, but both legs have problems.

I do a lot of lunges, but will play around with the airborne ones, thanx. :)

rubthebuddha
05-14-2004, 02:39 PM
bmore -- if balance is the issue, do your one-legged squats (pistols) in a staircase. check the "what i learned" thread for a link. just drop your ass onto the step two up from your foot and use the handrails/walls to balance. that way, you don't go down much past parallel, you're safe to land on the step in case your knees or ankles say "no more," and the walls/handrails are perfect for balance issues or if you need to assist your squat at all. :)

Pork Chop
05-18-2004, 06:17 AM
awesome idea, thanx! :)
now I just gotta find a stairway that's private enuff not to look like a total freak. LOL

Ford Prefect
05-18-2004, 06:33 AM
Good for balance/leg strength:

http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/19/sonnon3.html

Serpent
05-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Good for balance/leg strength:

http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/19/sonnon3.html
Great link.

Suntzu
05-18-2004, 07:54 AM
http://www.steroidology.com/forum/showthread/t-10345.html

starting these PTP style this week........

Ford Prefect
05-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Zerchers are great for the abs. Haven't done them in over a year though.

IronFist
05-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Imo, one legged squats (pistols) don't work the quads that much. I can still do them after doing barbell squats when my quads are fried and I can barely walk up stairs.

Pork Chop
05-18-2004, 10:11 AM
zerchers, conventional deads, and sumo deads are my new lower body experience; replacing sl deads and back squats.
yaaaaaay
only another day or 2 before i can use my leg again.

Suntzu
05-18-2004, 10:32 AM
LOL..... my knee just started acting right this morning....... believe me when i tell ya.... Zerchers are NOT just lower body.....

Pork Chop
05-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Oh I know... When I was sayin I was doin front squats on the smith machine, I was doin zerchers instead- coz I wouldn't trust my wrists bending back like that for front squats.
I know smith machine != (not equal) to regular but i've got an idea.
I just want my pickups nice again...
I shoulda been able to scoop big dude at least once- almost had him once.

Seeing as how conventional logic from VA was for me to sit for a while, how bout we just focus on makin you a monster for june?