PDA

View Full Version : Hand Training

KombatKid
05-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Hello,
I am interested in all training styles that have emphasis on developing the strength in the fingers, hands and wrists specifically for crushing and/or striking power. I know that Iron Palm would definately be one such style.

Could everyone provide me with some more styles that are hand strength oriented and a description of each?
Thanks

-Kid

Unmatchable
05-14-2004, 11:37 PM
eagle claw.

Royal Dragon
05-15-2004, 02:06 AM
All Chinese styes have Iron Palm. It's not a style, it's a training method within the styles.

KombatKid
05-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Alright, well what is the best way of getting a strong grip?

I think that having stronger hands than anyone else would be the key to both striking and grappling power.

I saw a video of a guy once that could squeeze beer cans with his hands until they exploded. Imagine trying to fight that guy!

EarthDragon
05-15-2004, 01:41 PM
a great finger strengthener is called a eagle cage, they can be found on most matrial arts mags, I suggest you buy one from Gene. It is a square steel cage with rings and springs to put your fingers in and squeeze. Also if you just want to save money we practice with throwing and catching sand bags with one hand while doing standing frog jumps

SevenStar
05-15-2004, 03:05 PM
This may very well be the best grip trainer on the planet:

http://www.ironmind.com/faq_grippers.shtml

Starchaser107
05-15-2004, 04:37 PM
if what they advertize is true
then that iron mind product looks like a real good item.

CaptinPickAxe
05-15-2004, 05:41 PM
From what I hear captains of crush are the shiznit. For grip I open and close my hands as quick as possible and as tight as possible. Its starts to hurt around 75 at 115 it burns like fire.

KombatKid
05-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Has anyone here ever closed the #3 Gripper? That thing looks like a monster.

KombatKid
05-16-2004, 08:30 AM
How would you train for something like that?

KombatKid
05-16-2004, 09:01 PM
So nobody has , huh?

Starchaser107
05-16-2004, 09:20 PM
weekends are usually slow here, wait until tommorrow to give up on a reply.
or maybe you could just ask the question again in the health and fitness forum.

peeeeeeace.

Starchaser107
05-16-2004, 09:37 PM
well either that or nobody here has closed it

SevenStar
05-16-2004, 10:03 PM
I don't own a pair. Do a search though... I want to say someone here has closed it - maybe it was ford...

KombatKid
05-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Has anyone here closed the #2?

CD Lee
05-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Go post this on the health and training forum. You will get responses there on COC. I bought the trainer and #1 for Christmas. Get 'em if you want t a strong grip. The are great.

Want a powerful body as well as a strong grip? Start doing deadlifts, you will get that grip you seek, and a very strong body to go with it. But only after learning about good technique of course, else you'll get hurt.

WinterPalm
05-17-2004, 02:08 PM
I can close the #2. I feel that training in dynamic tension exercises and iron palm has lead to an increase in my strength that weights or grippers could never do.:)

rubthebuddha
05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
wp -- you may be right, but a CoC gripper is a **** fine training tool anyway. both my restraint training and my escrima are better because of simply getting a #1 for christmas. :)

edit -- has also helped on me lap sau.

further edit -- my fiancée's shoulders and back are also pleased with my progress. i believe she is looking forward to me beginning efforts on a number 2.

Toby
05-17-2004, 10:58 PM
I've got a #1 and a #2. I can close the #1 multiple times (I do 3 sets of 8 3 times a week). I can come within 4mm of closing the #2 with my right hand, about 10mm with my left. I do 3 sets of 3 negatives with the #2 once a week. They are unreal. No other grip tool is as much fun IMHO. But, like CDLee said, heavy deadlifts really pump up my forearms too.

Rub, my wife doesn't like my grippers so much. Because I train them 3 times a week, it always seems to coincide with when she wants a massage. I won't do it because once you get oil or cream on your hands, you can kiss the grip exercises goodbye for the night. There are other benefits that often come from the massage that make it worthwhile though, so sometimes I'll drop the grip workout ;).

KombatKid
05-18-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm going to get a set of grippers soon. I want to be the only guy out of 6217 members here to close the #3 and I bet I can do it.

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with this piece of equipment? (http://www.atomicathletic.com/shop/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnqrdnr8)

It looks pretty interesting.

Toby
05-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Haha. Good luck with the #3. Try the #2 1st. Or even the #1. There aren't many people on here who can close the #2. Merryprankster used to. Ford Prefect probably can too. I'm sure 7* can. But this is a limited sample population. Worldwide there are only a handful of people who can close the #3. I'm not saying you won't be able to, but it's not easy.

The Ivanko gripper is the main competitor to the COC one. The Ivanko also has a good rep IIRC, but serious trainers tend to use the COC.

blooming lotus
05-18-2004, 09:17 PM
I like wrist stretches ( ie bendhand / palm back for limit then then the otherway) as often as several x / day...also I fibnd if i crack my knuckles I seem to have better grip and strength????...seenms to work best after bi -work ( w.in 24hrsish)also lock fingers and pull so arm strength directed into palms...gives good indication of strength reserve.........try working into different surfaces./ textures/ weights at diff speeds..sounds obvious but good advice regardless........varied styled push ups ( ie finger tips/ knuckles/ palms at varied angles etc)