PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Confusion!

Sidney Rocks
05-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Hi

I am based in Merseyside and am looking to take up Wing Chun. I tried some Shaolin Kung Fu, but am not the most supple. A lad I used to work with, down in London, used to teach Wing Chun. He was part of Kevin Chan's Kamon School. I gave it a try and not being the most flexible, Wing Chun seemed to suit me better.

The problem is, I am totally confused about which school to choose. I have a choice of going for either Nick Smart's Autodefence (which is local), or travelling to Manchester which has several schools. The other schools list al their connections/lineage, but I believe Nick Smart doesn't like all the politics involved and dropped Wing Chun from his school's title. However, his website says his school uses a structured program, whilst the others emphasise that they are "traditional" Wing Chun. Also, I have quite heavy work/study commitments so need to make the most of my time.

Can anyone in North West England offer any advice on this one?

Many thanks

Sidney

stuartm
05-17-2004, 03:52 AM
Hi Sid,

There are quite a few Sifus up your way. My Sifu, Master Sam Kwok is based up in Blackpool and teaches straight Yip Man Wing Chun from Ip Ching lineage. One of his senior instructors also teaches in Manchester.

I also believe Sifu John Agar is up that way too.

Dont know much about Nick Smart but have heard good things about him.

Best to go and have a look and see what suits you.

Good luck;)

Stu

Sidney Rocks
05-17-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks, Stu. I know Samuel Kwok from his book and I've seen a few adverts which refer to him. As you suggest, I think my best bet is to go and have a look and see what suits.

Cheers

Sid