PDA

View Full Version : Lee Vs. Ali

dodger87
05-15-2004, 04:53 AM
Me and my friend were having a debate the other day about who would win out of Bruce Lee and Muhammed Ali.

Well in summary here was our debate:
I said Ali because he's got the size advantage, lots of experience in the ring, he wasn't just a fighter but he was also a thinker, good footwork and that boxers tend to have more physical training than MAers.

He said Lee because he's alot smaller and faster, also good footwork, his MA training was more 'streetwise', never runs out of steam (duh, boxers also have lots of stamina), powerful kicks that Muhammed Ali supposedly wouldn't be able to dodge because he's not use to kicks and his experience in streetfighting as a kid.

What do you guys think? Please back me up here a little, i want to be able to come back to school on Monday and shove a whole bunch of crap down his throat.

Christopher M
05-15-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by dodger87
I said Ali because he's got the size advantage, lots of experience in the ring...

Also, he was a martial artist.

Important advantage there.

Mr Punch
05-15-2004, 05:19 AM
To rather brutally paraphrase Hawkins Cheung, Brucie Baby couldn't kick for s**t.

Ali.

Royal Dragon
05-15-2004, 07:08 AM
Lee is alot of over rated, grandious legend. Ali was the greatest Boxer of all time.

I'm going to say Ali by knockout.........3rd round at the latest.

Kristoffer
05-15-2004, 07:10 AM
It's kinda hard to judge this fight.. Ali is shivvering all over the place and Bruce just lies there...

I think he's dead

Losttrak
05-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Bruce studied the ground game and kicking. Kicking and groundwork can beat a straight boxer any day. Leg kicks & takedowns would be the name of the game. I am sure Bruce has some punching skills but that would only give him a 50/50 against the "greatest" if they are gloved. Bareknuckle might change things since its all about that first hit powerful hit... I think Bruce would be able to sneak in more shots bareknuckle and end up stunning Ali.

Royal Dragon
05-15-2004, 08:19 AM
No way, Ali had the reflexes of cat on "catnip", More than enough to counter Lee's speed. He'd jack Lee in the head once, and it would be over.

Lost Oath
05-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Ring rules (gloves) - Ali.

Street rules (no gloves, no rules) - Bruce.

Souljah
05-15-2004, 08:25 AM
It's kinda hard to judge this fight.. Ali is shivvering all over the place and Bruce just lies there...

I think he's dead

LMAO!

Are we talking in a boxing ring or in a street fight
- because just "WHO WOULD WIN" is like,
"Whats better? Strawberries or Rasberries?"

You have to give it some setting...

Royal Dragon
05-15-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm saying anywhere.

LEGEND
05-15-2004, 11:39 AM
RING=Ali.
Street=Ali.

Reason??? Ali boxing was that of a light weight. He was a trained professional and experienced. U're talking about a guy who has been hit by powerhouses( Sonny Liston, Frazier and Foreman ). His body was very well conditioned. He had incredible hand speed. Could Bruce beat him standup? Hell no! With what...a side kick...snap kick to the groin maybe. But in a slugfest...it's over...Bruce is down...body build...size etc...that is REALITY. Can Bruce take the fight to the ground...yes...but in all indications...his past real fights alwayz started with him striking. And that would have been his demise. There is no doubt that Bruce Lee can fight...but against a trained professional fighter...YIKEs.

Vio
05-15-2004, 12:12 PM
I dunno what Ali's record was on the street. But Lee beat all the boxers he fought. Ask James Demile who was the army heavyweight champion.
Anyone see the Ali vs Inoki match? see how Ali was abolutely clueless in handling low licks and ground attacks.

mickey
05-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Greetings,

That Bruce, someone who had training in Western boxing, studied the fight footage of Ali should really say it all.

Ali had achieved (earned, not honorary) a 3rd degree black belt in Karate. The style escapes me.

My dream match would be Ali against Superfoot Bill Wallace (before the knee injury-- both men in their prime). That would have been so much fun!!

mickey

CaptinPickAxe
05-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Ali's experience wasn't limited to just boxers. He fought a jujitsu fighter (I think) in his time. He was a fantastic fighter. Bruce knew how to hype himself up. I belive Ali would win because he had more Ringtime than Bruce.

Its common sense. The fighter will always win. Its like putting Jackie Chan in the ring with Roy Jones Jr. Jackie can act, but will get his face pounded by Roy.

My dream cross over fight would be Roy Jones Jr. v.s. Mirko Cro-Cop. I say Roy would win in decision.

Vash
05-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Indeed. After all, Roy Jones fought Seraph to a near standstill.

True story.

cerebus
05-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Ali didn't exactly fight a Jiujitsuka. He "fought" a charity match against Japanese Professional Wrestler Antonio Inoki (who didn't use any Jiujitsu).

Who would win? Impossible to say. Bruce would likely have used low kicks to good effect (anyone who says Bruce couldn't kick, at least by the time he had developed his Jeet Kune Do, doesn't know what they're saying).

If Ali were to close the distance though, Bruce would be in deep trouble.

Interesting speculation all around but we'll never really know, will we?

YinYangDagger
05-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Bruce would have won...he was a "realist" - after all, anyone ever see his "weapons collection"? He had a .357 Magnum among his nunchakus :D

Vio
05-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Boxers have been doing badly in K-1 Lee would win.

Souljah
05-15-2004, 03:59 PM
The Closest we can get is Laila Ali against Shannon Lee

:rolleyes:

cerebus
05-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Hmmm. I'd pay to see that!:D

Vash
05-15-2004, 05:57 PM
I dunno. Shannon Lee's just a bit old for my taste.

old jong
05-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Ali with his very first jab.

Starchaser107
05-15-2004, 08:39 PM
in a real sex bout , i think miko lee would devastate tatyana ali, just due to experience in the field.
tatyana would try to get by on dedicated sitcom fans of old, but miko just has more knockout power.

cerebus
05-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Vash, you must be a young feller!:D She's about right for me (although Dan Inosanto's daughter Diana is even finer than Shannon! Though, unfortunately, married).

Starchaser107
05-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Inosanto (http://www.markklineskarate.com/pages/Diana%20Inosanto.htm)

Vash
05-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
Inosanto (http://www.markklineskarate.com/pages/Diana%20Inosanto.htm)

:cool:

cerebus
05-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Exactly! Oh, and Vash, she's about Shannon's age so I guess she's a little too old for you. Heh, heh!:D

Chang Style Novice
05-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Is this the Spike Lee vs. Ali G. thread?

Starchaser107
05-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Ali G. would knock spike the f.o.

CaptinPickAxe
05-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Ali G in da furst roun. To-al devastation...BOYAKASHA!

ah snap....

IronFist
05-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
in a real sex bout...

^ wtf?

Starchaser107
05-15-2004, 11:50 PM
is it the real
or the sex
that you're having difficulties grasping?:p

fa_jing
05-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Roy Jones JR just got KTFO BTW

Vash
05-16-2004, 10:01 AM
f_j;

You MFER!!!!!!!!!!!!! You spoiled the muthafukking fight! I was gonna watch the rebroadcast on HBO next week!!!!

Seriously though, what round?

dodger87
05-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Okay the conditions are they are on the street, no weapons whatsoever and no obstacles (eg. posts, curbs, boxes, whatever). And they are both in their prime condition (even though Ali didn't get to fight during his prime, we'll just assume what he'll be like).

Ray Pina
05-17-2004, 08:47 AM
So rediculous I won't even tell who wins by KO in the second.

I'll ask this though. Even with all these great UFC and Pride fighters... how many of them have gone to pro boxing to make some real money? How many martial artists do you know can handle the real boxer (not amatuer golden glove)?

Vash
05-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist

I'll ask this though. Even with all these great UFC and Pride fighters... how many of them have gone to pro boxing to make some real money? How many martial artists do you know can handle the real boxer (not amatuer golden glove)?

I know one. He's about 6'1", 4th Dan in Isshinryu, and fights kickboxing when he's not being a cop. He's the one they call when they hafta deal with the real crazies and the drug heads.
Aside from him, I don't know a whole lot that could.

I wish more martial artists would train half as hard as the average pro boxer. I like to think I trained close to about half, but only when I was managing my time to the minute.

Banjos_dad
05-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Ali.

(Forgive me Xiao Luung. You told us to seek the truth.)

LEGEND
05-18-2004, 06:41 PM
"But Lee beat all the boxers he fought. Ask James Demile who was the army heavyweight champion."

lol. Serious bull ****. Bruce sparred against novel boxers...and this was after JAMEs DEMILE time...when he was training with the SEATTLE crew...he was mostly doing those trapping drills...it was impressive since westerners never experience WING CHUN before. He didn't really get serious sparring wise till after WONG MAN JACK...then he started getting into boxing. If Bruce fought any of those boxer champion...he would have gotten KTFO. He didn't have the condition during the Seattle years to last 1 round.

Starchaser107
05-18-2004, 07:30 PM
i'm of the opinion that bruce could have defeated a boxer in his own weight class... isn't that how the professionals do it.

CaptinPickAxe
05-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Goddam Roy Jones Jr!!!!

I guess I'll have to take up Gilbert Godfrey as my idol now:D

for real though, thats a crying shame:(

CaptinPickAxe
05-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Good win for Tarver though:

For Tarver (22-2, 18 knockouts), who recently filed for bankruptcy, the $2 million purse was his biggest payday of a pro career that began after he won a bronze medal in the 1996 Olympics.

Victory came at the right time.

Starchaser107
05-19-2004, 03:15 AM
could floyd mayweather defeat bruce lee?

dodger87
05-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist

I think the main problem is that Martial Artists aren't able to dedicate as much time to training as these professional guys can because they're actually making money out of it.