PDA

View Full Version : streching

dturner
05-16-2004, 02:35 PM
im trying to get more flexible,any advice on streching.Im having a hard time streching my inner leg to do the splits and side kicks.how long does it take streching every day befor I could do the splits.

Starchaser107
05-16-2004, 02:46 PM
depends on how dedicated you are.
you sow what you reap where thats concerned.
don't over do it ,
there's an article thats been posted i'm sure numerous times.

here it is again (http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_toc.html)

blooming lotus
05-16-2004, 09:17 PM
some advce

flexibility is strong point of mine so isten up :

hookyour foot to a chair/sofa/bar/ or whatever...avoe wait height and lengthen out...once there relax andgrab your foot ...repeat until you you can get your nose touch your calf.....this make takesome weeks but don't panic bts ( behind the scenes) it's allhappening....you need to dislodge your hip bone from your thigh ...if it hurts relax and go a little further...very very important....aiming for the very centre of ball of foot.....pull forward and chin or nose down, toes pointed in or to opposite wall pending position...

on splits: if having trouble...start with one knee bent on lower leg of front side, foot to wall to the right...(if right leg back...keepit straight.!!!)...

then go nose to ground, do a little twist and repeat....hook same arm s leg under leading arm of bent leg and same agian....

repeat for other side and try again.....concentrate on abs in and under...it all helps...

each time you do this you will go a little further in your split...also for east / west split sit in a v-hold ready pos....grab one foot or ankle and extend leg...tilt foot inward and extend leg back a little ****her...this feels great and will get easier over time until you will comfotabley do both legs hand on ball of foot at respectable distances...drop legs ...hand from inside of toes push apart and extend out from hip...out and straight down ..nose to floor...feels good andwill help..easier thjan it sounds...easier again each time you try...I'll give you 3 weeks to get a much improved split on....don't be shy to spend an hour or +1/2 each day...your bopdy'll love you for it...

ps...dont forget to continually re-align your spine with v-holds or just grab an overhead bar and drop...spine loose as poss...legs as above...allweight on top bod until you hear you back crack...palms in ;)

let us know how you improve

Serpent
05-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
you need to dislodge your hip bone from your thigh ...

Say what!?

manofkent
05-17-2004, 03:23 AM
streching on its own will take ages.
have a good strech for 5-10 mins, then run slow for 5mins...
strech for 3,
run faster for 5,
strech for 3,
faster for 5

you get the idea. keep going for as long as you can.

you will not gain much extra flexability while cold.

also. most ppl in the gym will do a couple of bad streches then work out for an hr. I find that if i do lots of streching evry 15-20mins while in the gym, i never ache the next day

blooming lotus
05-17-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by manofkent
streching on its own will take ages.
have a good strech for 5-10 mins, then run slow for 5mins...
strech for 3,
run faster for 5,
strech for 3,
faster for 5

you get the idea. keep going for as long as you can.

the idea is to stretch so often you don't get cold......

serpent..by dislodge I mean ..........almost exactly that......if you felt what I mean you'd know it was a good use of speach..sounds painful but it's the opposite...minimses pain and adds to effectiveness of your whole system

Starchaser107
05-17-2004, 03:59 AM

manofkent
05-17-2004, 05:29 AM
blooming lotus.
I understand what ur saying, but streching only warms a little. you strech before exercise so you dont pull an injury, but you strech during exersice to improve flexability when your limbs are hot, like temperd glass.

Serpent
05-17-2004, 05:16 PM
You should stretch a bit before training to warm up, along with other warm up exercises. You should stretch a lot after training, when the muscles are warm, for flexibility. You don't need to stretch loads in between exercises. It won't hurt, but you don't have to.

blooming lotus - your last post said absolutely nothing. Explain exactly what you are talking about when you say dislodging your hip.

Ka
05-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Stretching goals = Routine Repitition and Discipline
Top post has it all
This is a great overveiw of current studies and answers a lot of common FAQ &FSQ(f**king Stupid ?)
http://t-mag.com/nation_articles/309stretch.jsp
http://t-mag.com/nation_articles/310stretch.jsp

Hope thats of some use.

BL probally means hip(pelvic) tilt.

blooming lotus
05-17-2004, 11:47 PM
demand demands...you sound like my ex.......

dislodge.....yes..pelvic tilt...dwai ( correct)... but while you're there extend your leg out from your hip, pull from torso>hip, hook leg/foot... ....you should hear and feel a "cracking/popping" type sound...will feel good and promote further range....dongma???( understand??)

Ka
05-18-2004, 02:15 AM
Oh Nooo BL is learning chinese,best stick to the barely understandable english that you use or some people will really get confused;)
BTW dwai= dui in pinyin
Make sure you get to try Shufa.
(Sorry totally OT but I had to comment)