PDA

View Full Version : 7* steps

keef321
05-17-2004, 06:40 AM
It is said in LKW lineage books that the name 7* refers to the pattern (constalation) that the seven star steps make, yet this is not demonstrated in any of his books.

I have also heard people say that certain seven star postures resemble the seven star constalation!

Can anyone elaborate on any of this?

GermanMantis
05-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Hi Keef,

some LKW 7* forms have the same ending for example (Dai Fu Ngaan Kuen, Saam Lou Jaak Yiu Kuen and many more). It's always the same steps and they roughly represent the constalation of the 7 stars (great bear?).
Hope that helps!
Best regards from Germany,
Chris

mantis108
05-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi Keef,

Great topic.

Although I am not a 7 Star stylist, I am always fasinated by the style's designation.

I think there are a few aspects of their footwork that befitting the designation:

1) The proper 7 stars stance is quite a lower stance. The 7 stars stance in HK lineages is more akin to that of the Taji (stomping rooster) stance of Taiji/Meihua lineages. the Taji Stance is relatively higher and the knee of the extended leg doesn't bent. The HK way might have something to do with GM LGY's own situation and experiences. The 7 Stars stance along with the Taji stance, as far as I am aware, are both found in the mainland 7 Stars lineages. Incidently, Chen style Taiji and Taizu Changquan both have a similar stance to the 7 stars. It is believe that Wang Yongchun (progenerator of the 7 Stars line) was adept in a style of long fist before taking up Mantis.

2) The 7 Stars stance's extended leg is like the handle of the Big Dipper which points to the different directions according to the time change. In boxing, this translates to always facing your opponent by adjusting the angle of the extended leg through the small rotataion of the Gwa area plus slight pivoting of the supporting foot. This way the seven stars (head, hip, shoulder, elbow, knee, fists, and feet) of the body are always presented and read for action.

3) Tainan already mention the method of closing the gap with the 7 Stars stance. So I just echo the point that he made about the hands are like holding the lanterns as it is moving towards the opponent. It is a very vivid description of the closing the gap method.

4) The more dynamic stepping pattern, which I am sure most 7 stylist would agree can be found in the forms is the zig zag pattern that is often associated with the Big Dipper icon. You can even find this crafted on the blade of " Qixing Bao Jian" (Magnificent Seven Star Sword) now commercially availble. ;) Technique wise this often translates to Gaoji Bu, Ciao Tui, etc...

5) The last road of Bengbu is IMHO a good example of the stepping pattern. Some would argue that it doesn't seem to be showing that but remember the more the stepping is tighten, the more it resemble a straight line. It is not always about big and expansive motions when in a fight situation.

Just a few thoughts.

Warm regards

Mantis108

Neckbones
05-21-2004, 11:07 AM
There are several different stories where the different Mantis form names came from. A couple of the most popular for the Seven-Star Praying mantis is that in the beginning, one of Wang Lang successors wanted to branch off into subsidiary styles. He sent out three of his disciples to go out and bring back a live mantis. The name of the subsidized styles would be named after the stripes or spots on the mantis's wings. One mantis had seven spots on his back, arrranged in the form of seven stars. Anther mantis had five spots arranged in a pattern of petals of a plum blossum, etc., ect.

Another story about the Seven-Star style is politically founded. One of the forerunners of the style, while trying to overthrow the Manchus and restore the Ming Dynasty, called his style Seven-Star, meaning that the followers of this style would be able to spread out as far and wide as the Seven Stars are spread across the sky and no matter where they were the would always work for the downfall of the Ching Dynasty.

Whether these stories are true or not, I can not say, but probably most people would tend to agree that the name of Seven-Star is a result of the hand techniques supported by the basic form steps.

I read those stories in a book somewhere and though it was interesting enough to post here.

count
05-23-2004, 06:54 AM
The seven star as I know it is probably better called Mantis/Monkey, since the footwork is clearly Monkey steps and not Mantis. One idea I have been shown is since the guard is closer and tighter than other Mantis styles the arms trace the shape of the big dipper. The stars are wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist. The front being the handle and the backhand being the dipper. I have heard other myths, but this one physically fits together nicely.;)

mantisben
05-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by MichiganMantis
A couple of the most popular for the Seven-Star Praying mantis is that in the beginning, one of Wang Lang successors wanted to branch off into subsidiary styles. He sent out three of his disciples to go out and bring back a live mantis. The name of the subsidized styles would be named after the stripes or spots on the mantis's wings. One mantis had seven spots on his back, arrranged in the form of seven stars. Anther mantis had five spots arranged in a pattern of petals of a plum blossum, etc., ect.

If this story is true, it seems Wang Lang was pretty open-minded about changes/modifications to the techniques of the style. Instead of saying" NO! You do it as I taught you, and pass it on JUST LIKE THIS!". Granted, his disciples were surely experts in the style as Wang Lang had originally taught them.