PDA

View Full Version : Dysphagia/Difficulty Swallowing?

BPW
05-18-2004, 04:55 AM
I've been having some difficulty swallowing for the past hour, accompanied by accumulation of saliva in the throat and a choking sensation. Can anybody help me out with some advice?

Thanks.

herb ox
05-18-2004, 08:48 AM
In my limited experience, difficulty swallowing sometimes results from inflamed tissue in the throat, or swollen lymph glands in the neck (perhaps you're fighting an infection). Other times, it may be due to an allergic reaction. Usually, that is accompanied by other signs of allergic reaction such as itchy skin, watery eyes, stuffy nose, difficulty breathing. If you have the allergic symptoms, go to the doctor. The 'choking' sensation you describe makes me think you're having an allergic reaction. Be careful - know when to go for professional help. It doesn't take much to slip into a shock induced coma.

Another reason may be a "bruising" or spasm of the esophagus from swallowing to much food or water.

Short of prescribing meds like tylenol to reduce swelling or benadryl for allergic reaction (which I am prohibited from doing), I would recommend hot green tea or pu-erh tea (relaxes esophagus and dissolves mucus).

If the symptoms persist, please see your healthcare provider (western, alt, or TCM - your choice:D )

good luck and hope you feel better.

herb ox

RAF
05-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Try an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) doctor. Had a similar problem without difficulty in swallowing. Felt it might be LPR Acid Reflux--it might be silent. It also be allegeries.

Made me cut out coffee, no eating after 8:00 pm and smaller meals.

Tests were expensive---$600 but the PPO covered half.

Good luck!