PDA

View Full Version : Kuo-Sho

EULOGY
05-18-2004, 10:46 AM
What is kuo-shu?

Are there any video tapes that have these fighters using these in kuo-sho or other full contact tournaments?

Glenn Wright and Novell Bell A.K.A Black Taoist have also fought in full-contact competitions. Have they successfully used devastating internal strikes in full contact situations?

GLW
05-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Kuo shu - language definition

Zhong Guo Wushu - Chinese Martial Arts (Middle Kingdom Martial Arts)

In Taiwan, they use the term Kuo (Guo) Shu - National Art for Martial Arts.

In competition, this refers basically to the set of rules - mainly for the full contact fighting - used by the Taiwanese. These differ from the Sanshou rules and setup used by the PRC.

Musicalkatachmp
05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah...
there is the USCKF (united states chinese kuoshu federation) so usually when I am talking to people about it we refer to it as the "Kuoshu tournament"...where the combatants fight on a raised platform (lei tai) with small gloves (kinda like mma gloves) and a face mask...elbows and knees are allowed...

jun_erh
05-18-2004, 12:15 PM
There are different definitions of kuo sho. I trained in one here in Boston that was chinese military techniques my teacher learned from his teacher who was in the army. There is another kuo shu here in the US with the lei tai tournaments and stuff but we weren't connected to that at all.

Kristoffer
05-19-2004, 09:37 AM
I know a team from my school went and fought in a kuo shou event wich allowed knees, elbows, headbuts and with those small gloves.. no masks, just a cup and mouth guard

Musicalkatachmp
05-19-2004, 10:21 AM
I know a team from my school went and fought in a kuo shou event wich allowed knees, elbows, headbuts and with those small gloves.. no masks, just a cup and mouth guard

Really when/where was this? I knew at one time the koushu tourneys didn't use the mask, I thought the all use the mask now...

Kristoffer
05-19-2004, 10:44 AM
It was in Taiwan I think. Not sure when but it was a couple of years ago. Possible early eighties.

Musicalkatachmp
05-19-2004, 11:46 AM
OK sure I think we have some pics up at my school of that tournament...Joe Dunphy fought in it, he's one of the highest guys in my style...yes with little/no equipment...I heard it was pretty rough...

Kristoffer
05-19-2004, 12:39 PM
oh cool, yeah I heard that too. Almost all countrys teams had to visit the hospital after the fights :D