View Full Version : Attn: T'ai Ji Monkey

Shooter
05-18-2004, 06:31 PM
How are the exercises working for you?

T'ai Ji Monkey
05-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
How are the exercises working for you?

Haven't started on them yet, too busy with the upcoming move to the new Apartment. :(
Will start after the move when I got everything sorted out. Really looking forward to them as I think they are what i need to get to the next level.

I am currently revamping my whole training schedule, with new stretching and weight routines(traditional and modern) as well as changing the emphasis of my TJQ training. Been doing a lot of research, listened to a lot of more advanced people, etc.

Not really satisfied with my current rate of progress in TJQ, long story don't want to get into it here as it might get political. :D

Shooter
05-19-2004, 07:24 AM
OK...sounds good. I was just wondering.

If you need ideas for what to use in your stair carries, let me know.

T'ai Ji Monkey
05-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
OK...sounds good. I was just wondering.

If you need ideas for what to use in your stair carries, let me know.

For starters I think I will start with the 2 44pounds dumbbells I am getting, still nursing my right knee for a while.

Shooter
05-19-2004, 06:01 PM
That's some decent poundage, but maybe a bit too uniform for odd carries.

Two bundles of 3-tab shingles weighs 140-150 lb and costs about $15 total. You can duct-tape em together and maybe rigidize them with a couple of pieces of 1x4 taped lengthwise on each side equalling 4 lengths of 1x4. Underarm with both hands supporting - one hand high and one low.

Two sheets of 1/2 inch, 4x8 drywall weighs about 135-140 lb. Cut both sheets in half and then stack and tape all four sheets together. Tape the edges individually first though. That'll have you stretched out a little more than with the shingles and you can alternate right and left shoulder-carries with one hand high and one low. I carry full-length double 8s, 10s, and 12s at my work.

A 5-gallon pail 3/4 full of sand or rock (about 100 lb) carried against your chest is a good one as well. One hand on the bottom and one around the front

Think 'odd carries'. Always set the object down carefully and make sure it's held stable and balanced before lifting it. Lift with your hips instead of your legs...never lift with your back.

omarthefish
05-19-2004, 06:10 PM
I think I finnaly figured out wtf you guys are talking about. I can tell what the shingles are like but . . . this last year in my job as an Avid tech, my boss purchased about 30 computer monitors all at once. Not flat screen. 21" and 22" monitors to be used in video editing systems. We had NO space. We . . . I ended up putting a lot of them up on top of 6' tall cabinets. There were so many of them thought that they were everywhere. I had to keep moving them around to make space for different projects. And then there were at least a dozen scattered around the garage which was so full of boxes of cables and random computer crap that it was difficult for most people to climb around in there even without carrying a tv in their arms.

That spell was AWSOME training. Big weird clunky things and no where to put your feet properly. Very difficult to move those things around without hurting your back. Lot's of fun. Learned a lot.

T'ai Ji Monkey
05-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Shooter.

Thanks, I will keep those in mind.

Unfortunately I will be stuck in an 5th floor Apartment in pretty much the City center with the closest DIY shop being far away.
Consolidation is that we got a huge muncipial sports centre with pool, running track, skateboard track, weight room and MA halls(for rental) down the road. Plenty of small parks close by and 2 biggish parks about 2km away

But I will think of something, luckily the new place will have a decent sized roof balcony measuring 3.2m x 8.4m. Big enough to do my forms, Push Hands and swing a few weights.

Guys close by are always welcome to drop in for a bit of sparring and a chat/BBQ afterwards, plus we got a VERY good import liquor store(Budvar, etc) close by that is cheap.
:D

Thanks again, shooter, the more suggestion I get the better I can come up with solutions/exercises that will work for me.

T'ai Ji Monkey
05-19-2004, 06:22 PM
OmartheFish.

Some of our best TJQ students work physically hard the whole day loading trucks at plant nurseries, etc their progress in the art tends to be faster than us Desk Pushers(most of them apply the basics and principles within their daily work).

One of my best friends has done multiple MA doesn't go to Gym but has strength galore.
Why, he is a "Pattern Maker" for a heavy industry foundry, in short he builds the 1/1 scale models that are used to make the sand molds to cast the real parts for heavy machinery(Bulldozers Blades, etc.).

Same with my Father he used to be an offset printer and was quiet used to carrying drums of paints for the printing press, never mind lifting them up to fill the printer.

Interestingly enough most of those guys got good flexiblity and tend to be fairly relaxed.

I am now trying to restructure my training more around similar strength/endurance exercise and also work more on silk reeling, standing and similar things.