PDA

View Full Version : addictive inversions

Simon
05-18-2004, 09:55 PM
i've been doing some inversions as part of my normal routines - yoga head stand and hand stand basically just cos I wanted to be able to do hand stands and hand stand push ups.

I find I now have an urge to do them, just like the urge to excercise when I've been lazy! it seems to clear my head. any thoughts?

I've read that they can be bad in regards to bursting blood vessels - change of blood pressure to certain areas - again any thoughts?

cheers!!

blooming lotus
05-19-2004, 12:52 AM
In China it is very common to see this regularly in training sessions at gongfu schools throught. In fact, while I was out at DeChengs' school ( near shaolin), I managed to catch several students practicing this, the beginners and/or younger students with their feet on a ledge....I am seeing out 12 days straight work here and tommorow will break for 4 days, If I do this and have trouble , the ledge is looking like a good option...........inversion is common practice ........the boys doing shows out at shaolin-si tell me they hold these poses for 20 min stints each day

scotty1
05-19-2004, 05:33 AM
We do handstands as part of our training, and the only things you have to be careful of are a)making sure the small of your back is pressed against the wall so you don't damage it and b) taking care of your wrists.

IronFist
05-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Standing on my head makes my face turn red.

blooming lotus
05-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I think that has to do with your breathing and diaphragm control

shaolin kungfu
05-19-2004, 11:43 PM
or maybe the fact that all that blood is rushing to his head due to gravity.

I seem to remember something about a japanese rock band that would perform upside down hanging from the ceiling. If I remember right, they could only go for about 10 minutes at a time so they wouldn't pass out. Or something like that. I'm tired and have bad gas.

blooming lotus
05-20-2004, 04:58 AM
charming...thx for sharing...............

I know you often hear about blood to head as danger or potential danger with inversion, but I've never had a drama, and apparently neither have alot of the rest of the gongfuing practioners???

scotty1
05-20-2004, 05:04 AM
I don't think it would be a problem if you didn't do it to excess.

Batman does it all the time.

Hau Tien
05-20-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by scotty1
I don't think it would be a problem if you didn't do it to excess.

Batman does it all the time.

He's right... I do.

Becca
05-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by scotty1
We do handstands as part of our training, and the only things you have to be careful of are a)making sure the small of your back is pressed against the wall so you don't damage it and b) taking care of your wrists.

How does one take care of one's wrists? I have alot of problems with this myself. Some days I can hold a good handstand or bridge for ever. Other days my wrists hurt too bad to get into proper form at all.

IronFist
05-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
or maybe the fact that all that blood is rushing to his head due to gravity.

I think that's probably it.

blooming lotus
05-20-2004, 06:11 PM
wrist care....

stretches, diff angles and pressure pending feeling / strength on the day....maybe build that with some cross body stick exercises

Iron...if yu're caling gravity, I guess that'll explain it then :cool: