PDA

View Full Version : Stance Stability?

JetKuen
05-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi all. I'm new to the martial arts and have been studying WingTsun for the last 9 months. I'm having a real hard time keeping my balance when I step in. Sometimes (very little) I get it right, but most of the time my front foot ends up pointing straight ahead instead of at an angle.

Usually when I step in and am met with force, my body sways left or right and most of the time I have to move a foot to keep my balance. I guess I see it as walking a balance beam with one foot behind the other. How are you supposed to keep your balance? I know, I know..."sink, inward pressure." Is that really all?

Besides the obvious of practice, what else can I do to improve?

old jong
05-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi JetKuen

Maybe you have both your feet in the same exact line?...Try to have some lateral distance between your feet.Many beginners step to widely.Use smaller steps. Some also do techniques while stepping. Try to step first (get in range) and then do your attack or technique. You will be able to use the ground better this way. You just have to work on this timing. ;)

What do you fly?...;)

Sihing73
05-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Hello,

If you are doing WT then you most likely are training to keep your feet in a direct line, a Bic Bo. While the spreading apart of the feet will provide better stability I don't think your WT instructors would appreciate the change. Of course if I am incorrect in my assumption, we know what that does to us ;) the feel free to try a wider angled stance.

Having said that there are a couple of things to do to help improve your step forward. One method is to utilize floor tiles and insure that your feet are lined up with one of the corners. Another method is to build something that looks like a T-Square or even something that looks like this I----I. You can do this with three pieces of wood. Basically you would train and stand at one end with your feet in the Front Stance YJKM. You then step forward and your feet end up on the same line, as there is no where else to put them unless you step off the wood. I know that some of the guys in Germany used a device similar to this to help them improve their footwork.

The Bic Bo works great for direct forward and backward pressure but has some limitations when dealing with sideward pressure. One way to offset this is to train to place ALL of your body weight on the rear leg. This allows you to shift the front leg as needed and also will help you in your sinking and help to improve your stability. If you are doing WT then it is very important to develope the adduction in the knees and not just step the front foot forward. Your forward knee should pull the other knee into itself. If you are in a Bic Bo facing forward and were to turn to the side 90' you should be back in the front stance.

This is based on doing the step in WT as I originally learned it so it may not apply to your situation. If it does take it FWIW. Good luck.

Peace,

Dave

JetKuen
05-19-2004, 04:49 PM
What do you fly?...

The Embraer 145.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/212222/M/

Thanks for the quick responses.

old jong
05-19-2004, 08:09 PM
...Nice!...:cool:

I'm a flyer too!...On Microsoft flight simulator!...;) But,I rent a cessna at least once a year (with an instructor) and enjoy doing it for real. My next goal is to fly a chopper.

Brodie Bortigno
05-20-2004, 02:32 AM
The same thing happened to me, and the answer is simple: keep stepping. As time goes by you will correct yourself and discover what works and doesn't.

horserider
05-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Sorry to tell you but noone that does Leung Ting kung-fu ever have right stance. All must compensate for the poor structure. Most do this with speed. However do not feell bad as the other posts demonstrate you are not alone in learning wing chun without the right stance.

taltos
05-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Could you share with us your lineage, so we can seek out examples of correct stance?

Since in your opinion all Leung Ting students have no stance, and there are flaws that you see in Moy Yat's Kung Fu as well, I would like to know what you consider to be proper examples of what is taught well.

Thanks in advance for not being afraid to share!

-Levi

Sihing73
05-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Horserider,

While you are welcome to your opinion I think it is a bit unfair to paint all members of a lineage/group with the same brush. While I also have my own opinions I recognize that each and EVERY approach to Wing Chun has something they can offer. Consider that each lineage has members who can make that approach work for them. While some of this can be due to the amount of training time devoted, ie: if my approach is "superior" and I practice 2 hours a week and your approach is "inferior" but you train 20 hours a week, then you could very well defeat me with your "infererior" approach.

I would like to join Taltos in asking you to share with us your lineage and point us in the right direction for learning the "correct" method of practicing Wing Chun and footwork in general.

I myself admit to being a poor example or representative of my Sifu and his approach to the art. Still, I have had some small success at making the art my own and applying it in one or two unpleasant situations. So, there must be some validity after all.

Peace,

Dave

horserider
05-20-2004, 01:58 PM
I not mean to hurt feelings but I think it is better to have hurt feelings than hurt face. I see nothing wrong in being direct. Maybe part of problem is that so many westeners want to not hurt feelings they forget how to face the truth.

First Wing Chunis based on human body. The human body has clear strengths and weakness. This is anatomy of all of us it cannot change. It is sad that so many think it is all right to find a way to make something work and as long as it works that is right way to do it.

One reason there is so much bad wing chun and so many different wing chun is that often someone was given puzzle but left to own to find solution. To say they do it that way and we do it this way but it works so all is ok is nice. Is very touchy feely everyone happy but doesnt make it correct. thin how skilled you could be with the correct method of things.

What is correct is simple to prove, does it use and take advantgae of the body natural strength . if not then it is wrong no matter how well it works. Also if you are using the body correctly then you can use the same structure for all physical activities. Can you hit a baseball or golf ball with your stance without change. No? then clearly your stance is wrong. Can you powerlift with your stance? etc. the right stance and correct structure will work for all thgings because the bvody is being used the way it was designed.

Phenix
05-20-2004, 01:58 PM
you dont stabiliize your stance. you work with it in a balance way. think about riding a roller skate board. nothing stable but yet everything is in balance or centering every instant.

Dont tie up the horse!

horserider
05-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Forget to answer my wing chun question.

My Yip Man wing chun flows from Tsui Shueng Tin and Yip Bo Ching, My Yuen Kay San wing chun flows through Pang Qiao and I also learn family wing chun of Chao Kwai. While all different in some ways all same in others but then I think all wing chun should be same at its core and then we all change it to make it ours but basic should all be the same

Sihing73
05-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Horserider,

No need to worry about my feelings, I am tough skinned ;)

While I would tend to agree that the human body is the model on which to build the applications, I would tend to disagree that there is only one way to make things work "correctly". Each of us is slightly different than anyone else and there are a variety of other variables to consider as well. For example, take two people of the same build and body structure. One may have a higher developed sense of sensitivity and or reaction time, one may have greater strength or be able to take more punishment than the other. The mind set will have a lot to do with ones success. Now, considering each of these variables, each person will modify their own technique to better take advantage of their own attributes. While the initial basis will be the same the end result can be quite different. I think we may agree on this point.

I am not saying that just because something works it is allright. What I am saying is that one can take the basic principles and apply them based on your own attributes and this can result in a different "version" than others studying the same "version". I challenge you to find two students of the same Sifu who do things "EXACTLY" the same way. While they each may try to internalize the same concepts each will modify these same concepts based on their own individual strengths and weaknesses and needs. Wong Shueng Long said it best when he urged the student to become Wing Chuns Master and not its Slave.

On the other hand, if there were to emerge a single approach to Wing Chun which worked equally well for everyone then I would love to learn it. But, this approach would, IMHO, be able to defeat all other versions out there due to its inherent superiority. In other words if two people were to meet and exchange techniques and the winner was the one doing it the wrong way, then I would not want to learn the losers right way no matter how superior it is. There are quite a few people who I have been privileged to meet who would easily defeat me but for various reasons did not. Perhaps it was the mind set or maybe because I CHEAT :D . Or maybe they felt sorry for me.

I guess my whole point is that I do not, nor have I ever bought into the ONE TRUE WAY philosophy. There are examples in professional sports of those who do things in an unorthodox manner and yet it works well for them. In nature take a look at the Bumble Bee and the Humming Bird. While they are built along the same "body structure" as other birds and insects they defy logic and FLY. Perhaps no one has told them it is not possible nor the right way :) I know that if I was a Humming Bird and you told me I was doing things wrong but I could still fly I would not worry too much about your words.

Peace,

Dave

Oh to be fair here is my limited lineage since you were kind enough to list yours:
Yip Man>Ho Kam Ming>Augustine Fong>Roy Undem>Me
Yip Man>Leung Ting>Keith Kernsprecht/Alan Fong>Me
Yip Man>Leung Shong>Nq Wa Shum>Chung Kwok Chow>Me

wentwest
05-20-2004, 04:34 PM
That Hummingbird by the way, is the only bird known to man that can fly backwards. Sometimes, doing it the "wrong" way or at least against the grain of the masses can lead to unique and useful skills. ;)

Don't get me wrong here... I'm not trying to justify doing things wrong... I'm just saying that one should always question, experiment and find what works for you... blindly following without introspection and examination leads to stagnation of the arts.

Sorry for straying off topic for a bit there...

As for the original subject, I agree with Sihing73, in that there is no ONE way that is true and correct that leaves all others training wrong. It is a case of differing philosophies behind the mindset (in this case resulting in various stances depending on WC/WT/VT/VC lineage). IMHO, each philosophy or mindset has it's strength and weaknesses, and none is perfect in all situations.

Another example that Sihing73 touched on on earlier that I'd like to expand is the one about pro sports players. There are many examples of champion tennis players or Major League Baseball pitchers who do their thing in an unorthodox manner with superb results.

Aslo in the world of musicians examples abound... Jimi Hendrix often used to wrap his thumb over the top of the guitar neck to fret some notes... this would be considered by many traditional guitarists to be completely wrong or poor technique, but I'd say that his results were satisfactory ;)

CFT
05-21-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by wentwest
Also in the world of musicians examples abound... Jimi Hendrix often used to wrap his thumb over the top of the guitar neck to fret some notes... this would be considered by many traditional guitarists to be completely wrong, but I'd say that his results were satisfactory ;) More than satisfactory, surely!!!

horserider
05-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Wentwest and Sihing73 your comments prove my point. We are not talking about the same thing at all. It is the fact that you did not see or understand the difference that is the proof of what I say.

To use Wentwests example. hendrix wrapped his thumb because he had large hands and wrapping the thumb over the top of the neck makes it very easy to play 9th cords for example. It also allowed Jimii to do many other things that made him unique but his songs always remained firm in their blues based structure. He did not just play any note he stayed within the key or its relative key.

Physical attributes are what allows each of us to make wing chun our own but The core of wing chun is the same for all. I am taking about use of the body at its basic level. use of bones and tendons. The alignment of the skeleton.

Agin I ask you can you take your stance and your footwork and with no changes play golf or baseball with it. Or try racquet ball or better yet handball. If you can not use your stance and footwork to do these other physical activites well without making and changes your stance and footwork are not correct. there is no excuse or agrument that can be made unless you are physically deformed or not human. Your speed strength etc are a different thing and icing on the cake.

Or take cake. wing chun is like cake. all cake has flour and egg.( please dont reach for low carb or low fat etc etc).
after the flour and egg then you add the flavor ,nuts etc . Wing chun is same. All wing chun have same flour and egg then each family add its own flavor. Problem is so few have the flour and egg

Hope my english makes Anerlich happy now.

Vyvial
05-21-2004, 08:07 AM
what makes you think that you do have it all right and all these other people do not?

wentwest
05-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by horserider
Wentwest and Sihing73 your comments prove my point. We are not talking about the same thing at all. It is the fact that you did not see or understand the difference that is the proof of what I say.

Actually, you haven't proven your point at all (and I certainly haven't proven your point for you). What you seem to consider "facts" are simply your conclusions given a set of assumptions. Furthermore, these assumptions are based on faulty logic.

To use Wentwests example. hendrix wrapped his thumb because he had large hands and wrapping the thumb over the top of the neck makes it very easy to play 9th cords for example. It also allowed Jimii to do many other things that made him unique but his songs always remained firm in their blues based structure. He did not just play any note he stayed within the key or its relative key.

So how is this different than two Wing Chun practitioners using slightly different stances to achieve the same end goal?

For purposes of this example, let's say our 2 WC guys are each delivering a right punch to the face while simultaneously deflecting the opponent's right hook with a left biu sau).

The 1st WC guy uses TWC stance (or evenly weighted 50/50 forward stance). He does this because he believes that being rooted in this type of stance is a solid foundation and it better allows him to steal his opponent's balance while executing the biu + punch). End result = successfully deflected hook coupled with successfully delivered punch.

The 2nd WC guy uses a stance that favors weighting the rear leg (say 70/30). He believes this allows him to be more mobile if he needs to shift or move quickly, and also to be better protected from an attempted sweep of his front leg. End result = successfully deflected hook coupled with successfully delivered punch.

Both guys get the job done.

Isn't this just like two musicians? 1st is a purist and plays his 9th chords the traditional way (maybe he has smaller hands) and the 2nd uses his thumb over the top of the neck a la Hendrix (maybe he has bigger hands). End result = same sounding 9th chord, while each used slightly different biomechanics and philosophies behind the biomechanics to achieve the same goal. Different biomechancis worked for each because that is how they each practice and train (and ultimately what makes them each feel comfortable).

Physical attributes are what allows each of us to make wing chun our own but The core of wing chun is the same for all. I am taking about use of the body at its basic level. use of bones and tendons. The alignment of the skeleton.

Right... so we ARE saying the same thing, except that YOU'RE proving MY point.

In the case of the 2 musicians, they are certainly using the bones and tendons of their hands in very different manners, and the skeletal structure of their hands are aligned differently.

Same for the 2 WC guys in our example. Their respective stances utilize different skeletal alignments, use of bones & tendons, etc.

Agin I ask you can you take your stance and your footwork and with no changes play golf or baseball with it. Or try racquet ball or better yet handball. If you can not use your stance and footwork to do these other physical activites well without making and changes your stance and footwork are not correct.

Hold your horse there Horserider... This makes no sense to me. First of all, Wing Chun and playing tennis or baseball, racquetball or handball all have very different goals with very different optimal biomechanics to accomplish these goals. Baseball (at least hitting) might be the closest example to Wing Chun in some ways. At least in hitting a baseball (as in hitting a person), the power comes from your stance, and the use of your legs, hips, waist, etc. to maximize the power transfered to the ball - similar to maximizing power transfered to a person's face ;) The thing is though, the batter will always stay in one place until one of three things occurs - he hits the ball, he swings and misses or he doesn't swing and the catcher catches the ball. Movement is only necessary after he hits the ball. In WC, one can not simply stand in one place until the opponent comes to you... not all opponents are so obliging :)

In the case of tennis, racquetball or handball, one is often swinging at the ball while in mid stride, or while running. This is possible because they don't have to worry about the small mass of the ball taking their balance in the way that an opponent can take yours. I would argue that you can use many more varieties of "stances" to accomplish the goal of hitting a small ball in one of these types of games. Take any number of pro tennis players, and watch their biomechanics in slow motion... sometimes they hit the ball while in mid leap! That's something you wouldn't want to do with WC. Leave that to the Wushu or TKD guys.

Originally posted by horserider ...there is no excuse or agrument that can be made unless you are physically deformed or not human. Your speed strength etc are a different thing and icing on the cake.

My argument above is certainly not an "excuse," but it handily disproves these concluions you've drawn from your logic flawed assumptions

Originally posted by horserider Or take cake. wing chun is like cake. all cake has flour and egg.( please dont reach for low carb or low fat etc etc).
after the flour and egg then you add the flavor ,nuts etc . Wing chun is same. All wing chun have same flour and egg then each family add its own flavor. Problem is so few have the flour and egg

Well, I partially agree with you... different lineages of Wing Chun all share some basic ingredients, however not all cakes baked with similar core ingredients taste the same. After all, it's the other stuff that you add to those core ingredients that shape the true flavor of the cake. This doesn't necessarily mean that one cake is better than the next... remember that not all cakes appeal to all cake eating practitioners, after all.

Finally, you can bake a cake with different types of eggs. It's still a core ingredient, but one person may use duck or goose eggs, while many prefer chicken eggs. The end products are still cakes! The cakes WILL all have a slightly different flavors, but one couldn't say that they any of them aren't cakes simply because a slightly different core ingredient (egg type) was used. Substitute "stance types" for "egg types," and you'll get my point.

anerlich
05-22-2004, 11:43 PM

I care not a bit. Your facility or otherwise with the language is an issue for you, not me. Your apparent interest in bestiality (see other thread) is more alarming, but once again, that's something for you to sort out.

Since we're all having fun here:

Yip Man -> William Cheung -> Rick Spain -> YT
Jean-Jacques Machado -> John Will -> Anthony Lange -> Rick Spain -> YT

Maybe part of problem is that so many westeners want to not hurt feelings

I have a thick skin, and expect any alleged MAist to as well. Even as a westener [sic].

lawrenceofidaho
05-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Can you hit a baseball or golf ball with your stance without change. No? then clearly your stance is wrong. Can you powerlift with your stance? etc. the right stance and correct structure will work for all thgings because the bvody is being used the way it was designed.

Is it safe to assume that if kicks to the knees & groin were allowed in these sports, that they might modify the stance a little bit? -And how about if every time they tried to do their thing, one of their opponents attempted to execute a leg sweep on them?

;)

wentwest
05-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Lawrenceofidaho,

You're Sig Line says it all!

horserider
05-23-2004, 01:34 PM
You do not understand at all . you are totally missing the core and looking for superficial things to argue.

All the physical activities i mentioned have one thing in common. They all require the use of power generated from the lower body. From the ground through the ankle to the knee then to hip then waiste through shoulder out through arm.
I am talking about how to use the human skeloton correctly. tendons etc.
If you know anotomy you wouls know the body is assembled in a particular way. Joints all support each other in a particular way. there is only one way that this suport is optimal and no other. One and one alone. This is what i am talking about. You talking about someone kicking you or hitting or speed. Thia is all first level stuffs not core. Not key.
How to use your body the way it was designed is the key. There is always someone faster or stronger. speed and strength fade with age but the ability tro use the body does not. How does a 1oo lb woman defeat a 200lb man. Not through strength or speed but through using her natual tools in the most efficiant manner possible.
Look at a skeloton and play with it. move it you will see the joint only fit togetrh perfectly one way.
If your wing chun stance is correct then you can play all other physical thjings that require bringing energy up from the ground or sending it into the ground with out and changes at all. if you cannot to other sporst with your wing chun stance than it is not the optimum stance to use the bodies natural tools and strengths.

horserider
05-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Vyvial sorry almost forget to answer you.

I know because anything I say I have tried and can do. First I tell you. I am not big 5'7 maybe 140 pounds. Also was never big athlete type. When I come to America a friend take me to play golf. In 1 week I have 9 handicap. This was because I just take wingchin stance and use wing chun way to hit ball. Instucture think I natual golfer. was big laugh but all i do was stand like my siu lin tau and hit ball goes nice and straight and they say far for my size. Friends teach me softbal. I do same thing take stance and hit. Last year whne working in San Fransisco I go to party with football players big joke when 300 pound man can not move me. Then a Coach says hey that is way we try to teach offensive lineman to block but odff course all so big and stong good technique out the window. We have big laugh and good time but of course he is right is same. They just use more upper body lean but use lower body the same and lower body is the key.

How I know others dont do it right. Others do but I can tell from the questions that those that question dont. Those that know have no need to say they do. They just smile at all others.

lawrenceofidaho
05-23-2004, 05:08 PM
*OF COURSE* it's important to be able to optimize your body's natural strength from your stance, but it is not the *ONLY* thing.......

If optimizing the amount of force one could generate were the only consideration, then why throw; short, straight, compact Wing Chun punches? -Why not throw your entire body into every punch like a major leauge pitcher? (Another sports analogy for you.)

Any combat principle taken to an extreme can begin to become a detriment, so I practice Wing Chun in such a fashion that I try to find a "middle way" which does not emphasize any one concept at the expense of others.

Simon
05-23-2004, 06:56 PM
for the people training rear weighted stances -

is the imbalance advantageous in sparring a high percentage of the time?

what if someone rushes you and you wish to move with the front foot as a pivot or base?

basically I see it an assumption before the fact, which I don't wish to make. A rear weighted stance allows for quick forward movement, chambered front leg kick, readiness for a front leg sweep. But this comes with disadvantages - what if you want the other side of the coin? what if (sorry overused word! :D ) you opponent manages to strike your supporting leg? you want to kick with the rear leg etc, etc

many questions - I am a user of the 50-50 stance and would like to hear the other side.

anerlich
05-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Those that know have no need to say they do. They just smile at all others.

In my experience, those that know are happy to explain. Those who smile enigmatically at all the others generally do so to hide their own ignorance and preserve their egos.

At least those that ask questions have not stopped trying to find the truth.

I too like Lawrence's .sig.

JetKuen
05-24-2004, 07:32 AM
- what if you want the other side of the coin? what if (sorry overused word! ) you opponent manages to strike your supporting leg? you want to kick with the rear leg etc, etc

This is one reason why in WT, the stance in linear; rear foot directly behind front foot, weight on rear leg. The front leg helps protect the rear leg and allows quick movements of the front leg to deflect such a movement.

As far as kicking with the rear leg...there's a saying "one step, no kick." Most of you know what I'm talking about. Does it really work? I guess timing plays a big part.

The imbalance you're referring to is a problem that I have becasue I'm still a beginner student. I'm hoping I will adjust. (see beginning thread)

If someone managed to strike your rear leg, I guess you'd just have to deal with it.

horserider
05-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Anerlich no need to tell us about you. The total lack of any Wing Chun substance in any of your posts tells us all we need to know.

Maybe you feel your wing chun has nothing to offer? Other who learn from Williem Cheung at least show loyalty and stand by him. You? You say you dont belive his story about where his kung-fu come from . Ok Then you and Alfred gab on to the Hung Suen wing chun of Garret Gee. Then you say its not same as Wing chun of Garret Gee but you keep the name Hung Suen. So you must make up name and history for empty kung-fu is that it? If you do not belive William Cheung then share where your Kung -fu come from. Come from air?

Sihing73
05-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Hello,

I see that things are progressing as usual. We have moved from an actual discussion about an aspect of the art and resorted to name calling and posting degrading remarks. In my limited experience this accomplishes nothing.

In an attempt to get back on track I would ask that we return to discussing the stance and the pros and cons of front weighted, equal weighted and rear legged. Any takers???

Peace,

Dave

old jong
05-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey Dave!...
Do you miss your old mod job?...;) I agree with you BTW.

Sihing73
05-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey Old Jong,

No, I do not really miss being a Mod, I do miss having the time to post more than I am currently able. Still, it does not seem like I am missing too much :( .

Hope all is well with you :)

Peace,

Dave

anerlich
05-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Anerlich no need to tell us about you. ... blah blah blah ... Come from air?
:o

I'm a user of the 50/50 stance, as would be most TWC people. Of course in a real encounter both stance and weight distribution are constantly shifting. We'd use 100/0 only as a transition on side and T-steps - and kicking, of course.

Simon
05-24-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Sihing73

In an attempt to get back on track I would ask that we return to discussing the stance and the pros and cons of front weighted, equal weighted and rear legged. Any takers???

Peace,

Dave [/B]

definitely dave (asked a question a couple of posts up) :)

I've only explored equal weighted and have some pros and cons:

Pros-
-Interuptability (very important!!)
-Mobility (similar to above)
-Near equal speed of both kicks (not depending on front leg kick)
-Both legs safe from leg kicks (can move or at least minimise weight on leg to minimise damage)

Cons-
-May have weaker strike (though MUST hit home! and can be cultivated to not be an issue)
-Have to shift weight to kick with front leg (though rear leg will be quicker)

Basically if you train in a live situation (especially with weapons) a weighted stance comes naturally (well to me at least :) ) I'm happy with my striking power and VERY happy with my mobility and interuptability when I'm equal weighted (sometimes on my heels or uneven when stressed in sparring!)

Wouldn't do it any other way myself, but would like to hear opinions of weighted stance users

old jong
05-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Sihing73
Hey Old Jong,

No, I do not really miss being a Mod, I do miss having the time to post more than I am currently able. Still, it does not seem like I am missing too much :( .

Hope all is well with you :)

Peace,

Dave

All is well,like you,I don't post as much as I used to mainly because I use the times for training instead! (Times is limited!)Also, I have students that are getting seriously good! (good motivation!);)

Gandolf269
05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Sihing73,
Thanks for your informative answer posted on 5-19 regarding improving the stance. It was very informative for all of us WT'ers.
David

Gandolf269
05-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Sihing73
"In an attempt to get back on track I would ask that we return to discussing the stance and the pros and cons of front weighted, equal weighted and rear legged. Any takers???"

I would take you up on your offer but I think it is a no win situation. I think that if you practice the 0/100, 20/80, 50/50 etc. it really depends on whether or not it works for you. I know that there are very effective WC/VT/WTers that can make each type work very well.

horserider
Watch one baseball game and see how many different stances the batters take. They definately are not all the same. Just because both feet are in the batters box doesn't mean the stance is the same. Do you use the same stance and footwork for the Baat Jam Do, the 61/2 Pole, and empty hand techniques?

Sihing73
05-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Hello,

Not really a debate per se, each situation will require, or can require a slightly different response. Thus the need for flexibility and the ability to step outside of the box. IMHO it does one no good to complain about someone not following Wing Chun principles if that person is able to defeat you, particularly if they can do so easily. I have run into a number of “Wing Chun” People who can talk the talk but not walk the walk (Myself included) I think that truly great martial artists are capable of adapting and applying the concepts/principles outside of a rigid structure.

Back to the discussion of the stance:
Front weighted can be considered more aggressive. This has the advantage of allowing you to LOAD up and really extends your energy into your opponent. However, it also can cause you to over commit and one big disadvantage is that once you attack you may have trouble stopping or redirecting your energy. Another thing to consider is that a Front Weighted stance can leave you susceptible to sweeps and the like.

Rear Weighted allows you to root and can be very stable. However, usually you end up with more limited mobility to one side. While proponents will argue that keeping the front foot weightless allows for quick shifts, and there are people who can make this work, this requires a good deal of practice to make it work comfortable. Usually a rear weighted stance is less prone to sweeps as the front leg can be lifted easier. In WT, one advantage of having 100% of the weight on the rear leg is that the front leg can be used to kick with very little, if any, tell tale movement of the body.

Equal Weighted provides a happy medium as you are equally balanced and can usually react fairly well to either side. Another factor is that if you take up a triangle stance or Som Kwok Ma you will have one foot slightly in front of the other but still be fairly balanced. This will provide good balance for all four sides and will only minimize facing ability slightly. However, any movement will be indicated as this stance will require a shifting of weight to move. In the rear weighted stance it is possible to move forward without this indication. Although again this requires more practice. Probably the greatest advantage to the equal weighted stance is that it is the closest to a natural body weight. I know, in real life no one is ever 100% 50/50 but it is closest as it is less natural to be Front or Rear weighted.

Along with this comes the idea of weighting on the foot. Some will argue it is better to center the weight on the ball, center or heel. I would propose that each of these also allows for different situations.

Peace,

Dave

horserider
05-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Gandolf- are you sure?
What is important your? Stance when you are relaxed or waiting or your stance when you are active and transferring power. If you look at top hitters at the moment of impact as they finish their stride you will not see many many different stances. You will see only a few and look at the best hitters and you see even fewer.
How you stand when relaxed and neither issuing or recieving force is not important at all. How you align your skeleton when you are issuing or recieving energy, that is what is important.

As for what foot your weight is on, that is not very important . All stance have their time and place.As long as you know time and place all weightings work. Although front foot weight has fewer times and place.

There is always someone better ,faster, stronger etc etc. The issue is never how good a fighter you are because someone always better just depends if you fight him or not but he out there. What is most important is learning how to use your natuaral tools in the way they were intended . Then you get most out of whatever skills you pocess. That is what is important. Hunching shoulders, leaning back like slant pile, the need to run or retreat to avoid incoming energy because you have no body to receive force. These are problems and fighting skills will never be optimal until these things corrected.