PDA

View Full Version : Do these boxing gloves look retarded to you?

IronFist
05-20-2004, 12:22 PM
My friend and I are looking for some inexpensive, 16oz boxing gloves to train with so we don't have to use the ones at our gym.

We found these (http://store.titleboxing.com/hookclastrai.html) by Title for $34.50, but it looks like the fingers curl WAY down like to the bottom of the palm (top picture) and it looks like they're freaking HUGE on that guy who is wearing them. wtf? Boxing gloves are big enough as it is. I don't need super giant robo hand gloves.

Compare those with, say these (http://store.titleboxing.com/titleboxing-everlast-velcro-trainig-gloves.html) $99 gloves. See how the fingers don't seem to curl down as much on these? Every pair of boxing gloves I've used at gyms and schools before are like this, so I consider this to be a "good" design.

What's the deal with the different styles of finger-curling?

What's the difference between cheap gloves and expensive gloves, besides the fact that some expensive gloves are like certified by governing bodies or whatever so they can charge extra for that.

And if anyone has any recommendations for good, inexpensive boxing gloves, please let me know.

I'd prefer standard US boxing gloves as opposed to Mexican style, cuz the mexican style has less knuckle padding = more pain when you hit an elbow (crazy monkey blocking), but if there's a good deal on Mexican style somewhere I'd check it out.

Thanks.

red5angel
05-20-2004, 12:32 PM
I have a pair of the everlast and they now, after some use, curl down as well.

IronFist
05-20-2004, 12:33 PM
I see. So why are the first ones so freaking huge? They're 16oz but they look like those giant little kid 3 ft diameter boxing gloves.

red5angel
05-20-2004, 12:39 PM
not sure, the last school I sparred at used cheap gloves. They were more tight for the most part. The padding seemed to compact fairly quickly where as my everlasts have gone about a year and a half and still work great. They've loosened up some so are a little more comfortable but that ahppened for me pretty quick.

MasterKiller
05-20-2004, 12:40 PM
I hate wearing those kind of gloves. I'm used to relaxing my hands and then making a fist just before impact. Those gloves force your fingers to stay curled all the time. Throws off my mojo.

Chang Style Novice
05-20-2004, 12:47 PM
No more retarded than trying to type with your elbows.;)

Ray Pina
05-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Cheap gloves aren't made of real leather and boxing gyms and most organizations won't let you use them because they can get wierd angles on them after some use and actually cut you.

Everlast gloves aren't good unless you're buying the higher end gloves. It's better to get the higher end gloves from a lesser-known brand. Our school goes with Pro Source with the velcro wrist band but there are other brands.

As for the gloves, we don't strap the velcro, wrap or tighen if strings so as to keep the wrist loose as it would be in total free hand use. However, I suggest that it is quite difficult, and dangerous, to train full-power punching without boxing gloves.

I'd rather wear the gloves and hold up my shield and know that I can take your hardest punching than tone down the training and assume.

It's a little funny at first if you're not used to it but the gloves break in and it becomes like wearing socks, just another piece of body covering.

I've trained without boxing gloves for more years than I have trained with, but the past 3 years have without a doubt been the most enlightening, rewarding and true .... before this time I would have some fear about fighting a guy bigger than me.

Now, win or lose, I feel safe.

CD Lee
05-20-2004, 12:53 PM
You are going to get that velcro wrap raked across your face, and in your eye. If you buy them, tape over that velcro, thats bad news.

Suntzu
05-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by CD Lee
You are going to get that velcro wrap raked across your face, and in your eye. If you buy them, tape over that velcro, thats bad news. ahhhh...... the joys of training.....

Pork Chop
05-20-2004, 01:14 PM
The gloves the guy's wearing do look ridiculously huge, but he's a tiny guy and those gloves aren't the 16s; they're the 22oz safety gloves. The reason I know this is coz I have the 22z and they have the colored strap on the velcro (behind the logo), while the 16s only sport the black.
I love those Title gloves (the 22s) and I recommend Title.
My gloves have lasted me longer than a year.
I think even the 16s would probably be a safe buy.

About the everlast.
Everlast stuff, except their headgear, has proven time and again that it's over rated.
Musicalkatachamp is using my Everlast 20ozers, which are very similar to those gloves.
The 20 oz gloves have the stuffing poking through the pocket inside, into your hands, so if you're not wearing wraps, it feels like a sticker patch.
MKC likes those gloves though, I think, so definitely everyone has their own tastes.

About the pocket (fold of the fingers), don't worry too much.
The everlast gloves are designed to fold over and are not molded as such.
They're a pretty soft and squishy glove- with the pocket being very flexible, as well as the padding being very collapsable.
The pocket on the Title is more molded for how they would be used in punching and not as flexible for opening and closing.
A more molded pocket feels like it offers more support imho.

The difference between the 2 is almost like pillows.
Title is the more molded pillow that's comfy, yet somewhat firm and holds its shape- the type I like to sleep on.
The everlast is more like a feather or down filled pillow, very squishy, easily shaped.

You may not agree with my preferences, but I've owned the gloves in question

Pork Chop
05-20-2004, 01:21 PM
One more thing, re: the velcro.

The everlast have the smallest top/hard velcro strap and are the most likely to cut.

Next likely to cause problems are the Title 16s, which have a pretty wide strap, but not very thick or protected.

Last are the 22oz safety gloves which have probably the nicest velcro strap- wide, long, very thick, with a soft leather bumper around the edges.

Another type of training glove that has a similar strap to the last one are Twins gloves (14s and 16s). I highly recommend these, but get them from ringside, title, or a reliable site, because a lot of the twins specialty online stores run out of supplies. Just ask Suntzu.

The other option for velcro gloves is Ringside- which uses an elastic sleeve over the strap to prevent any scrapes. I personally find this annoying because it's just one more hassle for putting gloves on, but people who hate velcro cuts may be more forgiving.

red5angel
05-20-2004, 01:35 PM
what's with all the haterade for Everlast anyway? The high end stuff is pretty good.

IronFist
05-20-2004, 01:37 PM
So the image for those first gloves is the wrong pic? That guy is wearing the 22oz ones?

As for the sharp velcro, if they would just switch velcro sides that wouldn't be an issue. It sucks, tho, when you're blocking with your forearm up by your face and the velcro from your OWN glove scrapes your face.

Well if those first ones I posted are actually normal sized (16oz) and not freaking huge like in the pic, I think I may get some of those.

Has anyone used Title's Muay Thai pads? The $55/pair ones, not the more expensive ones. The more expensive ones only give you 1/2" more size in each direction.

IronFist
05-20-2004, 01:39 PM
These (http://store.yahoo.com/titleboxing/classicthaipad.html), I mean. Instead of these (http://store.yahoo.com/titleboxing/tp.html). It's not worth extra money to me to get 1/2" extra width and length (thickness is the same on both).

Suntzu
05-20-2004, 01:47 PM
if what I remember is correct… the second pair are actually re-named Twins pads and are much better than the first pair… if the first pair is anything like the Ringside pair I have… the 2nd pair would be the joints to get……

Pork Chop
05-20-2004, 01:52 PM
red5angel
I bought a $99 pair of everlast gloves only to have the internals of the thing (some kind of shredded plastic) stab me in the hands. I like their headgear, but from my experience their gloves, and even their heavybags are pretty over rated.

IronFist
If you're going to go with 16oz gloves, I would go with Twins, Grant, Reyes, or even ringside before those title ones, but knowing what I know about title gloves, if you do pick 'em, they should last.
The expensive thai pads are really just Twins thai pads with velcro straps, and the Title logo.
The cheap thai pads are plastic leather and Title homegrown stuff.
The expensive ones are personally my favorite thai pads out there (from what I've played with so far), and the cheap ones are my least favorite.
If you came up to Baltimore, or even Herndon (VA) we've got a pair of each, you could see for yourself; it's a pretty big difference.
Good thai pads feel niiiiiiiiiiice. :D

IronFist
05-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
if what I remember is correct… the second pair are actually re-named Twins pads and are much better than the first pair… if the first pair is anything like the Ringside pair I have… the 2nd pair would be the joints to get……

Oh man don't leave me hanging like that. Why do they suck?

Originally posted by BMore Banga
IronFist
If you're going to go with 16oz gloves, I would go with Twins, Grant, Reyes, or even ringside before those title ones, but knowing what I know about title gloves, if you do pick 'em, they should last.

Are Title ones really that ****ty? See I want my gloves to last, but I want my checking account to last, too. But I don't want to sacrifice quality for price.

The expensive thai pads are really just Twins thai pads with velcro straps, and the Title logo.
The cheap thai pads are plastic leather and Title homegrown stuff.
The expensive ones are personally my favorite thai pads out there (from what I've played with so far), and the cheap ones are my least favorite.

Are the cheap ones really that ****ty? Like are they hard or something?

If you came up to Baltimore, or even Herndon (VA) we've got a pair of each, you could see for yourself; it's a pretty big difference.

I just realized that BMore in your name stands for Baltimore. I always thought it was "Be more" like you were telling people to "be more banga," whatever the hell "banga" means.

Like someone's training, and you're saying to them "you suck, you need to be more banga."

:confused:

Good thai pads feel niiiiiiiiiiice.

How do crappy ones feel?

Would you say the cheaper ones are actually "crappy," or just "not as nice as the Twins ones."

IronFist
05-20-2004, 06:47 PM
****** man you guys are gonna make us buy the more expensive stuff, aren't you?

I guess the more expensive Thai pads are $15 more per pair, so that's only $7.50 more for each of us :o

But the gloves are going to be bad cuz they get expensive fast.

Are you sure the cheap ones suck? We just need good training gloves, not every-boxing-organization-licensed-super-quality-last-forever expensive ones.

IronFist
05-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Comparing the expensive ones to the Twins ones at the Ringside website, the Twins ones have buckle closures and the Title ones have velcro (much easier to use). Are you sure they're the same?

SevenStar
05-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

I just realized that BMore in your name stands for Baltimore. I always thought it was "Be more" like you were telling people to "be more banga," whatever the hell "banga" means.

Like someone's training, and you're saying to them "you suck, you need to be more banga."

:confused:

roflmao!!

banga = banger...

Chang Style Novice
05-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Yep, he named himself for a british sausage.

IronFist
05-20-2004, 11:10 PM
So basically what you're saying is BMore Banga likes the sausage?

Shaolin Dude
05-20-2004, 11:22 PM
what are handwraps for?

IronFist
05-20-2004, 11:28 PM
^ handwraps provide extra wrist support for more protection during punching. They help keep your wrist from buckling on impact.

Fred Sanford
05-21-2004, 03:11 AM
http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_documents/gear/gear_products.asp?cat_id=1

Fairtex makes pretty cool stuff. I own some of their gear and I've seen a bit more and it seems great. Then again what do I know I'm just a weak afraid of contact kung fu sissy.

Suntzu
05-21-2004, 06:04 AM
:D

the ringsides are like bricks... and after a year+ of use have yet to soften up..... they are "good enuff".... the Twins/Title pair have a better feel and a lil cushion to em and gives a bit of recoil too....

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Ironfist

It's not that those Title 16s are that bad, I'm just saying there are better options out there.

The thai stuff: Fairtex, Twins, and ThaiSmai; tend to be pretty competitive with each other. Each one has their own little specialty, but in general you can't go wrong with any of them (except maybe Fairtex shin guards which I hate with a passion).
Thai gloves tend to be pretty darn good; except maybe Thai Smai-I hear their liners fall apart too easy, so you can't go wrong with Fairtex or Twins. After that, it's just a decision of where to get them. Twins goes through a lot of big retailers (Title & Ringside), who will ensure that they have a high availability of their products, as well as good customer service. Smaller Twins sites don't always have that benefit. Fairtex is usually only available through Fairtex's site, which still hasn't sent me my elbow pads 1 year later.

The other gloves I put on that list above Title are Reyes and Grant. Those 2 companies are (arguably) the favorite gloves of the majority of boxers out there. Their gloves are niiiice. :)

As far as the difference between the thai pads; you can only kinda tell by looking at them or feeling them; but you can really tell when you hit them. Looking at them, the cheap ones are drab, feeling them, their pleather feels like a cr@ppy barstool. When you kick the 2, the expensive one gives you this really satisfying feeling and lets out a cool sounding "whack".
The cheap ones don't have such a cool feeling- don't feel like you penetrate as deep, the pad's a little stiff, sometimes feels wobbly, and the sound is more of a dull thud.

Kinda hard to put into words, but I tried.

Yes I'm sure the Title ones are still Twins, with velcro enclosures. In Thailand the buckles are preferable, over here velcros are preferable. I'm also curious if Title made some kind of deal to be the only ones allowed to sell 'em with velcro straps.

Yah BMore Banga = Baltimore Banger.... as in I have no skill, i just like to throw leather.

CSN
I thought we resolved this on that other thread. I like tacos not sausage.

Fred Sanford
Fairtex has some sweet stuff. I like their thick rope, their ankle braces, and a few other things. My feet are shaped funny & their shin guards are real stiff; so I really haven't liked their shin guards. Suntzu was usin their gloves last weekend and they seemed pretty good. Heard they were having customer service problems with their website, but in general, yah if you can get ahold of it, their gear's great.

Then again what do I know I'm just a weak afraid of contact kung fu sissy.

well as long as you're honest with yourself. :p :D
Seriously though, if you're padding up and gettin down, then those comments that are being slung around don't apply to you.

Ray Pina
05-21-2004, 06:49 AM
I hear ya. We still connect the Velcro, but leav it lose, pretty much so you can throw them off if you had too .... basically we just don't tighten them for support. What I do get from time to time are some scrapes on my forearms from having the softer part of the velcro sliding up and down my arm as I jam. I could just wear long sleeves but it gets hot on the 7th floor of a lower east side walk up. What can you do?

As for Everlast, I bout there newest open faced headgear for my first San Da fight a few months ago, Jesus Christ it's ****. Very narrow padding and rock hard ... offers zilch around the ears. I saw these other guys with big pillows on their heads from what I think is Title. I got to look into it. I don't want something rediculous -- where I look like a *** -- but I wouldn't mind a little absorption. I honestly would have preffered to fight without it .... less weight/more mobility.

IronFist
05-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Booo they're sold out of the expensive ones until the beginning of June, which was only an estimate.

Mutant
05-21-2004, 09:04 AM
The 2nd, more expensive kick-shields (Twins w/ Title name on them) are waaay better, well worth extra 15 bucks.

THose Title gloves are okay for training. For 35 bucks, you can't go too wrong and theyd be fine as a spare set of gloves when you find something you like better. I think the Ringside velcro system is better if you're looking for velcro fasteners, the Title kind seems to come loose and if youre doing kick catch drills or throws with someone who's wearing those, you often end up with abrasions from the cheap exposed velcro.

Ringside tend to be good. Fairtex is good, & I like the Twins too.
I have no experience with Graves gloves. The Everlast products tend to suck bad, but maybe the 'high end' stuff is different as suggested, i've just never seen it.
I like the Reyes Mexican style fight gloves I have now, way better than the last Ringside Mexican style gloves I had before. Glove style just comes down to preference. Mexican's have less padding on knuckles and more of the weight in the wrists, which provides good support and protection for kick catches. The shape is a little bit more 'leopard fist' like, if that means anything to you.

I prefer lace-up gloves, just leave them tied real loose and tape down the laces out of the way, just slide them on and off with some friction (use teeth to get the 2nd one fully on) theyre still real snug that way and you don't have to screw around w/ velcro every time you take them on and off, and you can lace them up tight if you ring fight with them.

Wrapping wrists really helps for practicing repeated full-power punching. sure its good training to be able to naturally lock your wrists and have firm fists on impact w/o wraps, thats important too and part of good traditional training, but you can still practice this w/ the wraps too, only you have more knuckle protection, insurance against rolling your wrist on a bad angled punch, and i find the extra cushion very useful for practicing catching against full powered kicks, w/o them your much more likely to get bruised or sprained wrist area and you still have plenty mobility with them on. And when your relatively fresh, sure you can hammer the heavy bag and keep good wrist/hand form w/o them (but still more chance of bruising knuckles), but its when youre exhausted that the wraps may save you from that one sloppy 1 in a 1000 bad punch, and all it takes is one bad impact to sideline you with a sprain.

I hope this helps, have a good weekend.

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 09:33 AM
http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=TP%202&variation=&aitem=8&mitem=60

Here u go

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 10:15 AM
While we're at it, I got a birthday comin up and here's my current wish list.... :D

Heavy Hitter gloves, to give my Title's some rest (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo_gloves.asp?number=RP%2020E&variation=&aitem=40&mitem=68)
Some Ultimate Classic gloves to give my Twins some rest (also I love all the Ultimate classic stuff I've seen) (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo_gloves.asp?number=IUBG&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=24)
A body pad instead of a Thai belly pad (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=SBP%202&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=45)
A punch shield to give my shoulders some rest on padwork and possibly double as a suitcase bag for low kicks (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=PSH&variation=&aitem=19&mitem=45)
Previously Mentioned Thai Pads (http://store.titleboxing.com/tp.html)
Some Nifty Shorts (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=ITWNTK%201&variation=&aitem=35&mitem=60)
A pair or 2 of some ankle supports (I need 'em) (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=ASUP&variation=&aitem=24&mitem=60)
A jump rope for suntzu (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=ZJRB&variation=&aitem=5&mitem=7)
A nifty training log (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=ZTRL&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=105)
Some pimped out headgear (http://store.yahoo.com/fightgear/flcohe.html)
Medicine ball with a twist (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=GRIP%2016&variation=&aitem=10&mitem=35)
A scale for my fat azz (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=SCALE%202&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=15)
Another one of these couldn't hurt (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=CMTMR&variation=&aitem=13&mitem=15)
And a pair of spar mitts (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=CS%202&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=45)

and I wouldn't mind....
A pair of my own Reyes 18z (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=IRETR%2018&variation=&aitem=6&mitem=36)

IronFist
05-21-2004, 10:27 AM
http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=TP%202&variation=&aitem=8&mitem=60

Here u go

$99 = not for me.

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Well the skinny fairtex one's are like 85.
I just realized how insanely cheap Title's stuff is.
30 bonez is a significant difference.

You're just starting out; so best go with the cheap stuff.
Maybe later on, you'll realize that good equipment's worth the cost.
For now, just buy what yah can afford and form some opinions on the stuff.

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 10:47 AM
I like these shorts too :-D (http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_documents/gear/gear_item.asp?item=1122)

Ray Pina
05-21-2004, 10:53 AM
You definitely don't want to go cheep with the cup or headgear;) and bad gloves can tear up your training partner.

Cut back on a few nights out or something and there you go. If not on gear you'll spend it on something else anway.

rubthebuddha
05-21-2004, 11:03 AM
i like these ones better: http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_documents/gear/gear_item.asp?item=1124

one time i came in to teach my wing tsun class, did, then the muay thai teacher called in sick. sisok had to take off, so he asked me to run the muay thai class. i didn't have shorties with me, so he lent me his smiley shorts. after class, i walked the two miles home in the shorties, since the only other clothes i had were my kung fu clothes and work clothes.

oh, the looks i got, as one of those miles was through my college's campus. :D

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Yah I was thinking of those, but our team colors have been red, white, and black for a while. Not sure if it's going to change anytime soon, but I don't think yellow's one of the options.

PS
Those thigh pads from fairtex look interesting from a pad-holder's perspective...

Suntzu
05-21-2004, 12:00 PM
shorts are individual but it’s advised that you stay within the color pallete as much as pssible…but team shirt must be worn at all times… any deviation is punishable by a free head kick from a certain Marvin Perry…

signed
BSS Taliban-educated advisor

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 01:30 PM
LOL
I'm not the one bout to rock USHH colors :p

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 01:37 PM
At least those gloves aren't this (http://store.titleboxing.com/jumboxglov.html) big.

Suntzu
05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
LOL
I'm not the one bout to rock USHH colors :p :mad: bastid...... i have red and white on those :mad: *sabotaging
belly pad*

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 01:46 PM
I guess the yellow around the wording is just ummm runoff or something? Maybe just my monitor. ;) :p :D

Good thing I'm gonna be rockin my own belly pad.

Thinkin about gettin those big gloves for Len if we spar.
Tho there's gotta be some kinda law against havin those 2 kids as my glove-dogs.

Unmatchable
05-22-2004, 03:46 AM
you would pay $99 for boxing gloves? You have got to be kidding me.

Merryprankster
05-22-2004, 04:09 AM
99$ uh... YEAH!

Good equipment costs....and lasts. An investment well worth it, if you have the cash.

SanSoo Student
05-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Those Fairtex gloves look stylish, I would how they will survive after a year of punishment.

Pork Chop
05-24-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Unmatchable
you would pay $99 for boxing gloves? You have got to be kidding me.

Umm I know quite a few boxers who say that Grant or Cleto Reyes gloves are WELL WORTH the price tag of up to $149.
$99 is probably a middle of the road price for something that should be reliable & high quality.
Unfortunately my Everlast gloves didn't prove to be worth it.

If it's a $99 glove and easily lasts through 100 to 200+ workouts; how can that be so much worse than a $40 glove that doesn't see 50 workouts?
Unless of course you love working out with gear that's falling apart...

Pork Chop
05-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Good a place as any to post this info....

We lost another timer at the gym this week; the one I bought before had the speaker die.
On top of that, we had some other problems with some other stuff (specifically someone getting our order right on an instructional DVD).
Sooooo...
It's now safe to say that my equipment wish list is fully taken care of....
Donations to the "Get BmoreBanga out of Debt" society are greatly encouraged and will be gladly accepted by myself, Suntzu, or MusicalKataChamp....

odearlord did my bday and Xmas come early this year....

cerebus
05-29-2004, 07:17 PM
LOL! One pair of gloves should last you at least 20 years!

The secret young 'Glasshoppa' is (lean forward now so I can whisper this ancient secret to you).................Duct Tape!:D :D

IronFist
05-29-2004, 11:11 PM
^ lol no kidding. Whose gloves only last 50 workouts? (knock on wood).

Pork Chop
05-30-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
^ lol no kidding. Whose gloves only last 50 workouts? (knock on wood).

50 was just a number I pulled outta my bootie; but I still think you'd be suprised.

Our glove bin has some of the nastiest examples of leather deterioration that I've ever seen. Some of those gloves I remember going in, meaning they've been in use for under a year.
Some types do hold up better than others.