PDA

View Full Version : Inherited talents vs Acquired talents

steelpagoda
05-18-2001, 10:33 PM
Does one have to be born with a certain physical skill level in order to become good at a given style of Kung Fu, or can anyone, of any physical skill level, be good if they work hard? I'm wondering because, I know I'm not the most graceful person around, but neither am I the most clumsy. I could also stand to lose a few pounds. I've recently been thinking about joining a Kung Fu school, but I'm not sure if I could cut it. When I watch martial arts being performed, particularly Kung Fu, it seems so graceful, and fluid. Can this be taught to someone who was born with two left feet and two right hands? Let me know. Thanks!

TzuChan
05-18-2001, 10:37 PM
You don't have to be able to do a full split all though it looks cool if you can do some cool high kicks during warm-up :) And about the weight problem, well I'd say having a few pounds extra is no prob but if you look more animal then human I'd say start lessining your food quantity :)

You practice Wing Chun ? COntact me on my icq ! 71470721(my name there is "vision")

TzuChan
05-18-2001, 10:37 PM
Eat more and get started at Sumo Wrestling :) j/k

You practice Wing Chun ? COntact me on my icq ! 71470721(my name there is "vision")

S.Teebas
05-18-2001, 10:40 PM
Just give it a try, what have you got to loose?

I wasn't particuarly good at sports when i was younger, but found it pretty easy to adapt to martial arts. Actually, with the knoweledge i have gained from wing chun i find it easier to do other physical activities now. MA's will teach you about your body and how it moves and feels. But anyway, back to your questions.....just do it; you could have a hidden talent! :cool:

S.Teebas

mikey
05-19-2001, 01:15 AM
some people are more naturally athletic than others,but there is no substitute for hard work.
if you have the desire,the motivation,and the
commitment,then you will become good at ANYTHING
you do.
Those people you saw who moved so gracefully and skillfully very likely put in a lot of hard work,
many long hours of training,and suffered many dings,bruises,pulls,failures,etc. before they
reached a high standard of competence.
Becoming a truly skilled martial artist is a difficult challenge for ANYONE,without exception!
if you are willing in your heart to take that challenge,then you can achieve anything you want.
your only limitation is YOU!

old jong
05-19-2001, 01:24 AM
Well,the problem for me was that I'm a "strong" guy!...It took me about six months just to learn to relax in order to throw a fairly good punch!I'm affraid I was more the "Georges the animal" type than Yip Man model!...Now I'm still looking like Georges but with a more refined touch! :D

C'est la vie!