PDA

View Full Version : Thai pads

IronFist
05-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Anyone know what brand or how good these (http://www.store.yahoo.com/karatedirect/muaythapad.html) are?

Titleboxing is sold out of their expensive ones, and they told me here that the cheaper ones aren't as good.

Suntzu
05-21-2004, 08:10 AM
:confused: couldn't tell ya..... never heard of them.....

Water Dragon
05-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Never, ever, ever-ever-ever-ever-ever-ever buy Thai Pads with velcro.

Spend the $ 80.00 and get them from Fairtex

rubthebuddha
05-21-2004, 08:33 AM
WD is correct ... yet again. :o

Suntzu
05-21-2004, 08:34 AM
why not?............

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 08:39 AM
Yah I gotta reiterate... what the heck is wrong with velcro?
Buckles never quite fit right & are a pain in the bootie as far as slipping on and off.

That being said, those don't look like the best thai pads.

'sides, everyone knows that Twins 0wnz3rz fairtex. :p :D

Water Dragon
05-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Every time we use the velcro pads, the straps come apart as soon as you start kicking hard. Next thing you know, your hanging onto the pads by the handles while they flap all over the place.

Ever take a full power roundhouse kick to the forearm? Not fun at all :(

Knee drills are even worse.

SevenStar
05-21-2004, 08:55 AM
I've never had a problem with velcro - I use twins and ringside.

we've had problems in the past with fairtex...It takes them months to process an order and ship it.

Suntzu
05-21-2004, 08:57 AM
never had that problem.......

Water Dragon
05-21-2004, 09:05 AM
hmmm, I guess we must kick harder than you little girly boys. :D

Suntzu
05-21-2004, 09:09 AM
well you're definitly cheaper.... buying crappy gear like that..... :p

SevenStar
05-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
hmmm, I guess we must kick harder than you little girly boys. :D

either that or you clowns haven't learned how to use velcro yet ;)

Water Dragon
05-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

either that or you clowns haven't learned how to use velcro yet ;)

Bro, I grew up in the 80's. Wore nothing but Zips for years...

MasterKiller
05-21-2004, 09:48 AM

Bro, I grew up in the 80's. Wore nothing but Zips for years... You say that like you still don't own a pair of Kangaroos....

SevenStar
05-21-2004, 09:49 AM
you musta forgot that I've been to your crib - I know you still wear them.

Water Dragon
05-21-2004, 10:14 AM
heh :D

Back to topic. Here is my experience with velcro straps.

Let's say we are going to do roundhouse kicks for 1 1/2 minutes.

You are going to kick, reset, kick, reset for the drill

I'm holding the pads. When you kick, the pads will move/jar slightly from the impact. With the velcro, that tends to 'pull' the velcro each time. So after about a dozen or so kicks, the velcro always pulls apart and we're left with no strap on the forearm, pads dangling, etc.

In all honesty, we do have just one pair with velcro, and they are rather cheap, but that's why I prefer buckles.

Oh, and Sev, how would you know what kind of shoes I have? If you remember, I was nekkid the whole time.

rubthebuddha
05-21-2004, 10:21 AM
actually, i have no problem with the velcro. i do love our fairtex pads though. we're using these ones:

http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_documents/gear/gear_item.asp?item=0701

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 10:24 AM
As disturbing as that thought is.... I'm going to have to leave it alone and get back on topic...

The velcro coming off has never happened, even with our cr@ppy thai pads, for 3 to 5 rounds straight. That being said, even our cr@ppy pads are still relatively new compared to some of the gear I've seen at other gyms. I may not have proper perspective on super-long-term use.

I've also only had a problem with the velcro cutting folks up on 1 pair of Top Contender gloves; and possibly with those everlast ones I was talking about earlier.

SevenStar
05-21-2004, 10:32 AM
heh :D

Back to topic. Here is my experience with velcro straps.

Let's say we are going to do roundhouse kicks for 1 1/2 minutes.

You are going to kick, reset, kick, reset for the drill

I'm holding the pads. When you kick, the pads will move/jar slightly from the impact. With the velcro, that tends to 'pull' the velcro each time. So after about a dozen or so kicks, the velcro always pulls apart and we're left with no strap on the forearm, pads dangling, etc.

yeah, I can see that happening with cheap/old velcro. I haven't seen it yet though, and you can put those on/take them off faster than the ones that buckle.

Oh, and Sev, how would you know what kind of shoes I have? If you remember, I was nekkid the whole time.

what a godawful site that was... I noticed the kicks when Mrs. Dragon invited me to the back. The closet was open, and I saw them on the floor.

ShaolinTiger00
05-21-2004, 10:40 AM
I've never seen it happen.

I love velcro Twins like I love my mom

:D

both have kicked my ass on occasion.

:o

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
I love velcro Twins like I love my mom

The night I wrote this script I got so excited I almost kicked my mom in the face....

:D

IronFist
05-21-2004, 10:52 AM
What about these (http://www.ambersports.com/muaythakicpa.html) by Amber?

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 10:58 AM
IF
I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to gear outside of the big 3 (fairtex, twins, thai smai).
You could ask the Underground's kickboxing forum what experiences they have.
The more I think about it, the more I think you should go with that cheap pair from Title as a starter set.
I don't know if there's a cheaper pair out there and it'll give you a chance to realize what you want out of that type of gear.

Khun Kao Charuad
05-21-2004, 11:35 AM
I've had a pair of Thai Pads with velcro straps since 1993. The pads themselves (the padding) is coming apart. The velcro is in just as good of condition as the day I purchased them.

That being said, you have to take the brand name of Thai pads into consideration before you purchase them....

I recommend Thai pads in the following order:

1. Perma-bilt II (*if* you can find them as they are no longer made)

2. Twins

3. Fairtex

4. Thaismai

5. Windy

The absolute worst Thai pads I have ever attempted to use are Ringside Thai pads. They literally disintegrate within a week or two, requiring lots of duct tape. Fortunately, duct tape fixes them up quite nicely and they become serviceable pads.

There are two general rules of thumb:

1. Buy heavy, leather pads. (except in the case of Perma-bilt II pads, which are that "pleather" material)

2. Velcro over Buckles. They are much easier to adjust and get in and out of between rounds. There are no buckles to dig into your flesh so you therefore have additional training exercises you can perform that would be next to impossible with buckles.

Khun Kao Charuad
05-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Further note....

I have to disagree with B'more Banga regarding getting a cheap pair of pads as a starter set. If you're going to invest in Thai pads, save your money and invest in the REAL THING! Don't waste your money on cheaper product hoping to save money until you are ready to "upgrade". You will just wind up wasting your money.

Oh, two other brands which I have not personally used, but have heard good reviews of are:

Boes

Aries

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 11:43 AM
KKC
He said he wasn't going to spend 99 bux.
Even an $85 pair will run almost 99 after shipping.
Title's the only one selling anything near what he's asking and they were out of stock.
If he doesn't see the point of investing in something that's worth the money, there's nothing I can do to convince him.
Hence, advising him to buy what he wants to buy, learn his lesson, and know better next time.

SevenStar
05-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't like the pads by I&I.

anyone here tried vut?

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 11:49 AM
KKC
re: the ringside thai pads. Are you talking about the black powerhide ones? or are the red and blue ones not good either?
i was under the assumption that the red and blue ringsides were really just old Twins pads with velcro straps. Or is that just the Title ones?

IronFist
05-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Someone on defend.net recommended the Amber ones. They look ok, right? I'm sure they're all leather cuz Amber is a wholesale leather company.

Suntzu
05-21-2004, 12:03 PM
don't be cheap on thai pads....... they are some of the most importante training items PERIOD.........

BMB - the Aries pelly pad is HUGE......... well... on me anyway....

Khun Kao Charuad
05-21-2004, 12:30 PM
SunTzu....

I have tried two different types of Ringside Thai pads....

One with thick black with blue trim "pleather" material. It seemed like it was solidly constructed, but the pads literally disintegrated within a few weeks use... hence the duct tape.

The other pair was all black and a very thin leather with red stitching. The padding is horrendous, the leather is very thin and loose, the stitching is weak, and the velcro sucks.

I don't know which model #'s these are, though. Ringside offers a pretty wide variety of pads, and they may even have stopped selling the ones that we have (one could only hope!).

Next time you swing by our gym, ask me to show you. We still have both pair of pads at the gym. We only use them as a last resort when class is packed and we need to have pads, any pads, for our drills.

IronFist
05-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Judging by looks, how do you think the Amber ones I posted look? Does anyone know anything about that brand?

Khun Kao Charuad
05-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Its hard to tell from the picture, but the stitching doesn't look that good. See how the stitching is kinda far apart as it loops through the seams? Really good Thai pads have TIGHT loops of stitching.

Compare the image of the ones you posted with these TWINS pads:

http://ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=TWNPAD%202&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=7

IronFist
05-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Well, based on some recommendations on another site I just ordered them. If they totally suck I can return them, but from what I've heard Amber stuff is pretty good.

I'll post a review when I get them.

Pork Chop
05-21-2004, 01:43 PM
If it's not too much trouble, maybe a first day review, and then a 3 to 6 month out review.
Certain toys are great straight out the box, but don't stay interesting for the long haul.

hope it goes well

IronFist
05-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
If it's not too much trouble, maybe a first day review, and then a 3 to 6 month out review.
Certain toys are great straight out the box, but don't stay interesting for the long haul.

hope it goes well

Rest assured if they break or something I'll be on here b!tching about it. :D