PDA

View Full Version : a little help

IronMonkey
05-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Well since Im not working out my lower body cause of knee injury, I want to once again start building up my upper body. Just wanted to ask first though... anyone know some ways or exercises that can help me punch faster, or punch with more power?

FooFighter
05-23-2004, 08:56 PM
IronMonkey:

I am sorry to have read that you have a knee injury. I hope you are doing the right things to help yourself recover as soon as possible. I know that it may be a set back, but you can do other things to improve yourself.

You asked if there are any exercise to increase your speed and power in your punch? Of course there are different ways of training to increase your punching power and speed. I am only familar with wing chun methods and it requires your stance/horse to be strong enough to execute powerful and fast punches.

In all honesty, effective punching in any martial arts is not just an isolated upper body movement; even in western boxing. Hence to think of punching alone without the lower body seem erroneous. Effective punching is a balanced combination of neuromuscular motor, strength, and timming skills as well as refined coordination of lower body and upper body.

Since you are limited because of your injuries and I do not want to give any advice that may hurt you. I strongly suggest you see a medical professional and get some serious knee rehab training before you do any intensive martial arts training. In the mean time, you should ask your professional what exercises may be helpful.