PDA

View Full Version : O-Mei Yanqing Mizong

Banjos_dad
05-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Gene,
I was wondering about the USA O-Mei Yanqing Mizong forms. Specifically, what branch of Yanqing Mizong did this form come from. I read Hon K. Lee's article in the Feb 2004 issue. The ad for the video at the end of Mr Lee's article mentions Huo Yuen Jia, but not explicitly that the video is from the Huo lineage.
You mentioned training the basic fist form...do you know more about the lineage of the main form, and also the basic form (if it wasn't derived recently from the main form)?
Sorry I know you have a lot to do.
Thanks,
B_d.

Or if someone from USA O-mei could help, please do Thx.

Losttrak
05-23-2004, 08:29 PM
I dont know anything about the O Mei part but I know that my form of Mizong is supposed to be part of that lineage.

www.whiteleopardkungfu.com is the Florida schools site (not ours in Dallas). Anyways, its pretty informative.

GeneChing
05-24-2004, 09:18 AM
O-mei lineage is really tangled. We know that monastic martial arts have been practiced there since at least the 16th - there was a famous document from Tang Shunzhi (1507-1560) Song of the Emei (O-Mei) Monk's Fist but even that cites Shaolin. During the last century, there was a lot of influx of great masters because of policital turmoil, so there are many new valid lineages that only go back a generation at O-mei, but many generations to some prior place. This is a long winded way of saying I don't really know the answer to your question - but I'll find out for you and let you know.

Shaolinlueb
05-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Losttrak
I dont know anything about the O Mei part but I know that my form of Mizong is supposed to be part of that lineage.

www.whiteleopardkungfu.com is the Florida schools site (not ours in Dallas). Anyways, its pretty informative.

hey can you post link to your miuzong school in dallas? I think i know someone who goes there.

Losttrak
05-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Shaolinlueb,

The page went down almost a year ago and never was restored. No idea why. Thats the best I can offer for now. =D

Banjos_dad
05-25-2004, 04:20 AM
Thanks, I was out for a couple days doing NVA...non virtual activities.
I did get the idea that Mizong/My jhong branch history is unclear or maybe intermixed?
I was thinking it would be cool to know that there was connection w/Shaolin, Master Huo, & Chin Woo. The Shaolin connection would be there anyway if I read the article right,
They're such great forms though, on their own. It's not so important, no one needs to knock themselves out unraveling it on my account.
Thanks again, Losttrak, Gene, & Shaolinlueb. I'm going to the forest for a couple of days, if you post again & I don't reply back

:cool:

Losttrak
05-25-2004, 09:43 AM
If my understanding is correct:

Mizong = Mandarin
My Jhong = Cantonese

GeneChing
05-25-2004, 09:49 AM
The Yanqing Mizong (http://store.martialartsmart.net/prtc010.html) that Sifu Tony Chen teaches descends from Grandmaster Liang Shou-yu. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=126) It is different that the Jingwu/Huo Yuen Jia lineage.

Banjos_dad
05-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks a lot for finding that out...GM Liang's story is great, would make a great movie. The part with the Red Guard Martial Striking Team. I'm surmising they trained kungfu to eradicate kungfu :p Talk about yin & yang residing within each other.
I'll honor GM Liang by working those forms extra hard.