PDA

View Full Version : mainland china wing chun

jason8
05-22-2001, 05:44 AM
hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me some of the differences between the mainland lineages of wing chun and the hong kong lineages.

just curious,

thanks,

jason

northstar
05-22-2001, 03:11 PM
I believe the non-Hongkong lineages are mainly in Fatshan and Gwongdong (Canton), and that they don't really differ that much from Hongkong. In the more northern part WC is relatively unknown, I think. I read somewhere (this board? ) that they had never heard of WC in Shanghai.

Sam
05-23-2001, 05:24 AM
Fut Sao Wing Chun is different from Hong Kong Wing chun. Tork body, footworks, Hei kung, two man forms and much more. www.buddhapalm.com (http://www.buddhapalm.com)

reneritchie
08-28-2001, 09:59 PM
Hi Jason,

Where about in MTL are you?

There are quite a few different lineages of Wing Chun in Mainland China (although many of them have also been available in HK and elsewhere since the 60s, and some even before that). In China, Wing Chun is almost exclusively found along the once-route of the Red Junk Opera, from Zhaoqing (Siu Hing), through Foshan (Fatsaan), and Guangzhou (Kwangchow, Canton), and surrounding areas like Panyu (Poon Yee), Shunde (Sum Dak), Huayuan (Fa Yuen), Gulao (Koo Lo), and Shenzhen (Sum Jan).

Yip Man Wing Chun is found in Foshan still, through Yip's early students Kwok Fu and Lun Gai, and is fairly similar to Yip Man's Hong Kong students (though both Foshan and HK Yip Man systems developed their own uniqueness after 1940). It is probably most similar to Leung Sheung's HK system, as is most of Mainland WC.

I have brief write ups for many branches at http://www.wingchunkuen.com/archives/systems but can provide more specifics if you like without wasting too much space.

Rgds,

Rene Ritchie

whippinghand
08-29-2001, 03:11 AM
Do you train under Lorne Bernard? I will be visiting Montreal next week, and was going to drop by.

jason8
08-29-2001, 07:05 AM
Hi Rene,

Thank you for the informative response. I'll be sure to check out the archives! Actually while I've got the chance, let me compliment you on the website, I've been reading through its material recently and I have enjoyed it very much. In response to your query, I live in Dollard, how about yourself??

thanks again,

jason

Whipping Hand> yes I am a student of Sifu Bernard. You ought to come by if you get the chance. I'll keep an eye out for you next week,

jason

reneritchie
08-29-2001, 05:06 PM
I live in Pierrefonds. Nice to know more West Islanders like WCK! Glad you enjoy the site, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze some more time outta life to keep adding more.

Rgds,

Rene Ritchie

whippinghand
08-30-2001, 06:06 PM
I understand you have 2 locations. When are classes at each location? What times & days?

I will more than likely visit on one of the days.

Lorne, probably doesn't know that I'm coming, yet. But he may know by that time.

jason8
08-30-2001, 09:16 PM
Here's a link to the class schedule and the addresses of both the Montreal (which I train at)and the Laval schools. Hope you can make it.

take care,

jason

Cincinnatus
08-30-2001, 11:32 PM
Silly question (seeing your handle) but are you the same Rene Ritchie as in the Yuen Kay San Book?

If so, are you guys coming out with any other books about YKS WC? I really enjoyed the first one (and also Complete WC) and although I am not a WC boxer anymore, look forward to seeing more about the book.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity
--Maximus Decimus Meridius, General of the Army of the North, Commander of the Felix Legions

cobra
08-30-2001, 11:59 PM
Roots and Branches of Wing Tsun by Grandmaster Leung Ting is a very informative book which covers a lot of info on the mainland Wing Tsun and some styles that are very similar found in other countries. It is about 400 pages and well worth the money. I especially liked the way he gave the history of Wing Tsun. He gave several versions of the typical stories, then separated what could be proven and what was reasonable for that period in history, and gave what his theory is, and basically leaves it up to you to decide. You can tell after reading it the amount of research that went into it and you really come to appreciate the intelligence of this man and how much time and effort he has put into Wing Tsun. I'll stop now as I'll never be able to say enough to tell how impressive this book is.

Just my 4 cents!!

whippinghand
08-31-2001, 03:26 AM
And the link is...

cobra
08-31-2001, 04:59 AM
I don't know what I was thinking.
Wing Lam (http://www.wle.com//store/b_wingtsun.html)

Just my 4 cents!!

lotus kick
08-31-2001, 07:18 AM
anyone of you that thinks mainland wing chun and hong kong wing chun are simmular, then you must have learn most of the arts by books. Anyone who knows anything about wing chun, knows that ip man changed the art when he moved to hong kong.

the mainland style of wing chun is more smoother and more deadly. however, hong kong styles is much easier to learn.

jason8
08-31-2001, 07:25 AM
here's the link, sorry about that:

http://www.aei.ca/~straycat/kungfu/sch-add.html

jason

Anarcho
08-31-2001, 07:53 AM
"the mainland style of wing chun is more smoother and more deadly."

I left a milkshake out in the sun for a couple of days once. It was even more smooth and deadly than mainland WC.

mun hung
08-31-2001, 09:57 AM
Please explain why you think "mainland style of WC is more smoother and more deadly" - inquiring minds want to know.

Rene Ritchie - welcome! :)
My Sihing, Marcus has only good things to say about you.

lotus kick
09-01-2001, 09:17 PM
the mainland china WC forms are in one countinus flow. There is no "step one, step two, step three....." drills. when techneques are in a free flow motion, there are more energy, since there is nothing helding it back.

Basically, mainland WC use the entire body all the time, and every time.

hunt1
09-01-2001, 09:41 PM
you are confusing a teaching method with application.I have seen mainland schools teach the same way.

reneritchie
09-01-2001, 10:19 PM
Hi Lotus Kick,

Are you a student of Lo sifu or Chow sifu by any chance?

Anyway, in my experience, mainland branches vary considerably as to why, but in general they do seem to retain more obvious/apprarent circles/curves in their movements.

Rgds,

RR

lotus kick
09-04-2001, 12:53 AM
I'm not confused. You have to understand that Ip Man changed the actual art when he came to Hong Kong. In hong knog, he have to teach a lot of stupid people, he have to change the art to hong knog people can understand wing chun. if you compare old style wing chun and todays wing chun, you can see that the main land virsion has a lot more flow. Hong Kong wing chun look like karate.

Rene Ritchie - Sorry, i'm not a student of sifu Lo or Chow. It's true that all basics are the same. But, it the advance stuff that counts.

word
09-10-2001, 01:40 PM
it is alwayas a turn off when someone posts about another styel being more DEADLY, possessing more CHI, POWER, SPEED, wheneveri hear that type of stuff, it tells me that the person posting doenst' know what they are talking about, china wc to be more deadly, ok how so? More pressure points? what? they use more power? oh yeah, how about, it's closer to SHAOLIN, ohok, MONKS< 34th generation,

shi yan gming, shoigou louin or whatever his name is, he is a monk so he has to be good right? bald head, chinese certificatse? wing lam, now where did he learn his wing chun? OK, hay say fut hahaha, SECRET SYSTEM, leung ting, SECRET CLOSE DOOR STUDENT, yeah sure bud. NAME A SIFU who does ANY TYPE OF WC and lets see if he's good or not, I dont care if you call it " Secret plum flower red boat wing chun" that doest not matter cause it's just a NAME, lets touch hands and see if they have any substance.
TSUI SEUNG TIN is good. very good.,i metthe guy he's knows his stuff really well, and his boys are good as well. BUT YOu dont' see him having a fat ego like leung ting, edmibin bozoteepee, etc etc, who start beef everywhere, chris chan eetccc VLAH BLAHHH. yada yada.. you can quote me on this,
these teachers are nto good.
wing lam
leung ting
edmin bozotopeetepe
chris chan
leekam wing
jon funk
RAUL ORTIZ haha,
i can keep going and going, augustine fong etc etc

whippinghand
09-10-2001, 05:28 PM
basics are most important.

whippinghand
09-10-2001, 05:29 PM
What's your point of reference.

reneritchie
09-10-2001, 07:09 PM
No worries, who else is teaching a mainland branch in Toronto? I try to get out there on occasion and like to know where the "family" is 8)

Rgds,

RR

lotus kick
09-10-2001, 11:29 PM
I don't know?
I only seen mainland style in videos.

reneritchie
09-11-2001, 01:44 AM
My apologies, I thought you were a mainland stylist. No worries 8)

Rgds,

RR

kal
01-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Do all of these non-Yip Man lineages all trace themselves back to Ng Mui and Yim Wing Chun?

Where along the family tree did these other styles originate from? Did they develop totally independently and in parallel to the Wing Chun that Yip Man taught?

Ultimatewingchun
01-01-2007, 10:44 AM
"the mainland style of wing chun is more smoother and more deadly. however, hong kong styles is much easier to learn." (lotus kick)

***RIIIIIIIGGHHT. :rolleyes:

Liddel
01-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Do all of these non-Yip Man lineages all trace themselves back to Ng Mui and Yim Wing Chun?

Where along the family tree did these other styles originate from? Did they develop totally independently and in parallel to the Wing Chun that Yip Man taught?

From what has been explained to me by my master, Gm Ip's earlier students are different as he evolved in his style as time passed - subsequently creating these differences :rolleyes: .

Though a large portion of mainland china VT also comes from other branches of the family tree which originated from Leung Jan.

Leung Jan was famous in his time for Kung Fu and most places he would go people would want to learn from him "a famous master". However if your teacher is just visiting your area and come and go on a regular basis then the learning takes on a different form.

People added a little here and there depending on thier own ideas and/or experience and these differnces slowly began to grow larger and larger through the generations.....

One can see the similarites between the mainland and HK styles but i personally believe the two have deviated in the most important part of VT - which is the formula or theories..... like mentioned before mainland VT has more circular actions, slightly different support points in body structure due to this factor, that affects timing (however small or large) etc etc...

I will certainly admit my exposure to the mainland styles is limited but these were my observations, just one mans opinion - i def wouldnt be saying one is more deadly than the other, thats for chumps to say :cool:

"the mainland china WC forms are in one countinus flow. There is no "step one, step two, step three....." drills. when techneques are in a free flow motion, there are more energy, since there is nothing helding it back."

This quote - in my mind anyway - shows a lack of experience in HK VT and more of an observation from the sidelines. :rolleyes:

Paul T England
01-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Hi Word,

Why do you bring Lee Kam Wing and Jon Funk into a wing chun discussion. They are Mantis guys. Opinions are like arseholes, everybodys got one and most arent worth S**t. If you have touched hands with these people then fine, your opinion might be valid. I have touched hands with Lee Kam Wing and he could teach most wing chun people a lesson or two! (although not a wing chun guy his fighting skill and strategy would suggest otherwise.)

If you have not been a student of these people how do you know they are not good teachers?

Paul

Paul T England
01-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Some of the mainland stuff is great and some of it is crap! Its the person applying the wing chun that makes the biggest difference. Wing chun should teach you to think for yourself and your mind will largely dictate how good your wing chun is!

Paul

monkeyfoot
01-02-2007, 09:08 AM
dont worry, hes just being a herb

like paul said, you cannot criticise someone without witnessing/knowing first hand. And even then, your opinion is JUST an opinion, and it so happens that you are the minoriety anyway.....

craig