PDA

View Full Version : Chi Lin Pai Anyone?

MonkeySlap Too
05-24-2004, 04:47 PM
The first "Chinese" style I ever learned was called 'Chi Lin Pai'...lots of funky stories were told as to it's history, but it's basically a kempo/kung fu hybrid built off of Pai Lum, another Kempo/Kung Fu hybrid. The 'founder' of the system was pretty tough. Lots of goofy moves, but that guy knew how to brawl with them.

Most of the players I knew were a-holes, so I walked away from the lot of them, which proved to be a good move because of the things I found since. But, I still have a soft spot for the stuff - I can still pop off one or two of the sets (King Mantis and Iron Butterfly) even though I haven't touched them in 12 years. Learned a few good ideas...

Just curious, schools decsended from CLP have started to pop up on the web, and I'm curious if there are any players on this board from that style.

cerebus
05-24-2004, 11:38 PM
"King Mantis" and "Iron Butterfly"? Weren't those the names of a couple of '70s rock bands? :D :D :D

Brad
05-25-2004, 06:21 AM
http://www.ironbutterfly.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/music/2002/07/king_mantis.shtml

King Mantis apears to be a newer band. Maybe there was one back in the 70's/80's too, but that's a bit before my time, lol :D

MonkeySlap Too
05-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Oh, it gets better. Looks like the 'founder' was friendly with Will Durant - a controversial fraud on the East coast who was also friendly with the highly skilled (but apparently compulsive liar) William Reeders.

Dennis Decker was a scary, powerful guy. I always remember fondly his statements like "A good kung fu man can fight with a ciggarette in one hand and a shot of whiskey in the other. And not spill his whiskey"

He also had really good Judo skills. If someone had a new Canvas gi, he'd 'borrow' it, and pop out the shoulder seems when he threw a punch. Not sure how he did that trick.

He was obviously a nut, but a pretty capable nut. Just because his reps near me were jerks, I never held it against him. But it was obvious his stories were BS. His followers seem to have cleared up the BS and are very honest about the history now, but back then it was a string of obviously made-up names. And yeah, the forms names are very amusing.