PDA

View Full Version : Bak Mei?

Battosai
05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Hello Everyone,

I recently discovered a school close to where I work offering Bak Mei. I dont really know too much about this style, but from what I have read I am getting more and more interested. I am planning on visiting the school and I am wondering what is Bak Mei like? I am having troubles finding any vid clips about it.

What would be the main characteristics of the style? I guess meaning its flavour,

open or closed fist striking?
qinna or no?

I have seen it referred to as internal, purely external and as a hybrid of both.

I would really appreciate any info you may provide

Thanks
Scott

Chin Chung Cao
05-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Try this link, http://www.whiteeyebrowpakmeikungfu.homestead.com/
it should give you some idea what your getting into. The system is very sound and if you what a good short hand system you wont go wrong.
Peace

fiercest tiger
05-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Much info that is the same as BAK MEI!

YKM Grandmaster was CLC discple and we share the same forms of the bak mei system, also check out my links to other bak mei schools.

Goodluck
FT

Battosai
05-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Thankyou for those sites and links, they were really good.

So would Bak Mei then be more of a striking system? does it include grappling?

I keep seeing reference to 'scared' power or jing, could someone explain to me what that is please?

scott

Pakmei
05-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Scared power is the type of force that a Pak Mei practitioner delivers when striking.

Basically, a Pak Mei practitioners hands are soft until the moment of impact then they suddenly become hard - hence the name scared power.

It's similar to when you get burned by a cigarette and you pull your hand back out of reflex. It's the suddeness in which strike is delivered.

It takes absolutely ages to attain the "Scared Power", u'll only get that side of things if the Sifu is willing to teach it really. In general, i'd say that most Pak Mei student will have 3/4 of the 6 powers of Pak Mei, only the closed door students will get the training needed to atain the 6 powers and ultimately the Gang Jik Ging - Scared Power.

fiercest tiger
05-28-2004, 03:52 AM
Do you think that gang jak ging is taught or the student will figure it out once understanding luk ging etc?

Rgards
Garry

Pakmei
05-28-2004, 04:15 AM
Personally, I believe that it's a combination of both.

There are certain things that a student can work out for him/herself. But this is not always the case!

What is defiitely needed is for the Sifu, to instruct the student correctly... but this takes time and hard work. In todays society, especially in the western cities, people want things given to them in 5 minutes flat and because they have paid for a class or two.

Sadly, if the knowledge of lok ging and gang jik ging were just to be passed on to anybody and everybody, then there runs the risk of potentially teaching it to the wrong type of character.

On a personal level here, I teach and practise a number of qi gong sets for example: Baa Duann Jin, Shaolin Nei Jin Qi Gong, 6 healing sounds, Cinnabar Palm. These I practise these sets because I'm a Tui Na Practitioner, however I also teach some of these qi gong sets privately namely baa duann jin and the shaolin nei jin qi gong.

I had one of my pak mei brothers approach me to learn the cinnabar palm..... Now I know that he has complelely the wrong charcter to learn this particular set, as I know that all he is wanting is it's destructive power.. and without a doubt I know that he would use it in a blink of an eye.

My Pak Mei brother got really upset when I refused to teach him the qi gong set even though he was quite prepared to pay quite abit of money to learn it.

To me, it's a question of responsibility. The same goes for teaching a student Pak Mei, and the more intricate areas of the style... like Gang Jik Ging.

So to answer your question, the student will only be able to figure out so much for themselves, but will definitely require the Sifu to show them the rest.

Whats your thoughts on this?

NeedsPractice
05-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Not to be rude but the name cinnabar palm sounds wierd, could you explain some more about it? Is that an english translation?
I have heard of bai mei, and know about it in a general sense since its one of the southern close range styles.

Pakmei
06-01-2004, 12:38 AM
Hi Needs Practise,

Cinnabar Palm is also known as Red Sand Palm. It's one of the 72 consumate arts of Shaolin.

Cinnabar refers to what is known as the elixior field (Dan Tien - Ren 6) so with the cinnabar palm it translates as the qi is focused and manifested in the palms to such a high intensity that the practitioners palms turn red due to the increase of qi and blood circulation.

Because of the intensity of qi and blood that is focused, as i mentioned the palms become red, but the practitioner will also create an intense heat from the palms that is able to penetrate the internal organs of a persons body - hence why tui na practitioners tend to learn this particular style of qi gong to affect a change physiologically in a patients body.

Especially if the patient is suffering from internal coldness, yang deficiency where the peson needs to be tonified.

If you want more information about this style of qi gong, please private me or send an email.

askinghands
06-01-2004, 07:54 AM
For info also check:

www.pakmei.nl

Dutch Pak Mei, Hakka branch.