PDA

View Full Version : Peng Jin vs. Weight Lifting: Expansion and Contraction

Fu-Pow
05-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey Guys, I've been doing some research into IMA and weight lifting. In my opinion it's not really a dead horse yet because there are so many varying opinions as to whether or not to lift weights. I'm going to bring up a lot of stuff in this post and I'm not an anatomist or anything so please bear with me. In addition, I've only every studied Taiji so I can't speak for the other internal arts.

Anyways....some background on my understanding...

The fundamental goal of IMA's (ie the big 3) is whole body unity. This is achieved through maintaining:

- Liu He or "Six Togethers" ie Six Harmonies,
-Zhong Ding (Central Equilibrium)
- 3 levels (head, shoulders, hips)
-Song (muscles relaxed but not limp)

When all the above requirements are met in coordination we have "Body Unity."

The result of Body Unity is Peng Jin or "Inflated Energy." The character for Peng consists of the radicals for "moon", "drum" and "drum beats." So we can take Peng to mean something like "inflated like a spherical drum" or in modern language "inflated like a balloon."

According to my Taiji teacher Peng Jin is a result of the joints opening and expanding. When the joints can open and expand making space so that Chi can flow through.

So where does Chan Si Jin (silk reeling energy) fit into this equation? I'm not exactly sure. My theory is that in order for Peng Jin to be maintained that the body must move in a spiral motion. If not the space between the joints would collapse and Peng Jin would be broken.

My understanding is that everything in Taiji depends on Peng Jin. All techiques are built from this basic energy. Without it the form is useless. At the point you lose Peng Jin you'd be better off doing an external art where Peng Jin is not reqired.

So here's my problem with weight lifting. When you lift weights you are breaking body unity. Even if you are doing a mostly "whole body" excercise like a clean, snatch or dead lift you are still not LITERALLY using the "whole body" (ie every joint in the body simultaneously) in the same way that you would if you were doing Taiji.

My Taiji teacher has told us that lifting weights is counterproductive to Taiji practice because it tightens the joints and lessens the space between them. It's not so much about building big muscles as much as it is about the effect on the joints.

Having talked to a couple of former power lifters they confirmed this. They said that after years of power lifting their joints had become stiff and they had lost some range of motion.

I could see how this would be especially detrimental for Taiji because joint articulation is so important for Chan Si Jin. And according to my theory without Chan Si Jin you lose Peng Jin. The core of Taiji's effectiveness.

So what to do? Do you just leave weights and in general western style conditioning out of the equation if you want to be an internal martial artist?

I looked into a few strength training methods that seemed to be more "whole body", specifically clubbells, kettebells, something called gyrotonics.

Gyrotonices seemed to be the closest as it uses a spiral motion but it is not really strength training at all, something more like Pilates.

But overall there seems to be no strength/conditioning exercises would not hurt Taiji practice in some way.

The most widely used supplemental "strength training" devices in Taiji seem to be the Taiji Sphere (like a bowling ball) and the long pole. Both of these exercises incorporate "whole body" power in the IMA sense of the word.

The reason I'm concerned about this to begin with is that I also study an external martial art Choy Lay Fut where strengthening and stabilizing the muscles and joints and training for explosive muscle power would be very beneficial. Peng Jin is not a requirement for CLF. (CLF is more like a rock at the end of a rope type power.)

In addition, I like being in tightened and toned muscular shape. I have a tendency to gain weight if I don't get some cardio excercise and do weights. I have Taiji classmates that are overweight and out of shape in the western sense of word. I feel that I would cream them in a fight simply because I could move in quickly and bash them before they even knew what happened.

Don't want to be a body builder or anything but I also don't want to look like my teacher who has arms that look like they are going to break (but can throw you across the room...of course.)

In the past I've used only machines. But recently I've tried messing around a bit with free weights and cable machines. I'm trying to find something that would allow a weighted spiral motion to rain the strength of the joints and deep muscles rather than give me big pumped up muscles.

Any ideas, suggestions, people to consult, etc. etc.

Any internal martial artists who incorporate weights into their training. I'm specifically interested whole body exercises with kettlebells and clubbells, etc.

Peace.

I

bamboo_ leaf
05-26-2004, 03:13 PM
(I have Taiji classmates that are overweight and out of shape in the western sense of word. I feel that I would cream them in a fight simply because I could move in quickly and bash them before they even knew what happened.)

have you tried this?
your teacher sounds like wise man I would listen to him

http://www.yiquan.org.uk/art-zz.html

this link might explain things more clearly.

BAI HE
05-26-2004, 04:53 PM
My older Gung-Fu brother (and Buddy's most senior student) is an avid wieght lifter and a fine IMA.
I believe he does more "Compound" exercises where he uses and renforces his structure and deep core body strength, rather than using any sort of "segmented" strength both in moving or static weight bearing exercises.

For example, he'll curl weight with his arms glued to his sides and and curl while drilling the weight through his feet. Using his whole body core to raise the weight rather than the "muscle bellies" of his biceps.

Then again, he has a very firm grasp on both IMA energetics and principles and being a former amatuer bodybuilder, a very intimate knowledge of the strength building sciences. He's also one of the most powerful MA's or people I've ever met.

I see a lot of modern strength training moving in the "fuctional" direction. Like www.t-mag.com or www.chadwaterbury,com

Toby
05-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow
So here's my problem with weight lifting. When you lift weights you are breaking body unity. Even if you are doing a mostly "whole body" excercise like a clean, snatch or dead lift you are still not LITERALLY using the "whole body" (ie every joint in the body simultaneously) in the same way that you would if you were doing Taiji.
So do them with the whole body. What's stopping you? Many compound lifts are more successful if you contract more of your body. E.g. Bench and deadlift work best for me if I try to crush the bar with my hands == forearms maximally contracted. In both those exercises the hands/forearms have nothing to do with the actual lift. Why can't you work the whole body while lifting? Also, you might be surprised just how much of the body you use with e.g. heavy squats and deadlifts. For both of those I tend to use pretty much everything (obviously some parts more than others).

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
My Taiji teacher has told us that lifting weights is counterproductive to Taiji practice because it tightens the joints and lessens the space between them. It's not so much about building big muscles as much as it is about the effect on the joints.

Having talked to a couple of former power lifters they confirmed this. They said that after years of power lifting their joints had become stiff and they had lost some range of motion.
Sure, I get tight joints too. That's why I do stretching and joint mobility exercises as well as lifting. Without those it may be a problem, but with them, no problem at all. Just out of interest, what weightlifting experience does your taiji teacher have? i.e. how does he/she know that lifting is detrimental to taiji?

Buddy
05-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Fu,
First off my feeling is why bother. I don't have a problem with using local motion rather than whole body power for weight trianing. To me it's waigong. But I also feel I have a relatively firm grasp on whole body power (hey I'm not Luo Dexiu or Feng Jiqiang) so I don't fear losing it.

"According to my Taiji teacher Peng Jin is a result of the joints opening and expanding. When the joints can open and expand making space so that Chi can flow through.

So where does Chan Si Jin (silk reeling energy) fit into this equation? I'm not exactly sure. My theory is that in order for Peng Jin to be maintained that the body must move in a spiral motion. If not the space between the joints would collapse and Peng Jin would be broken. "

Pengjin should exist in all movement. Chansijin should exist in complex movement. For instance if I meary move vertically, ie stand up, I don't need chansijin. In fact not all motion requires it. Many thing are quite simple to do w/o it. I'm not going to bother to use this whole body power to turn up the heat on my stove. I could but it serves me no purpose at this point. For me using chansijin means doing difficult tasks easier. Like intercepting a strike and throwing. That I like to use whole body power for. My student that Peter referred to was always trying to use this in weight lifting and he says he has. For me, I don't care. But I will try to convince him to respond to this thread so he can tell you his experiences. Beware the Night Ranger. Just kidding. Maybe one day he''l tell the story of my teaching him and it's effect in public. Nah. Suffice to say he wore me down, to my delight. Friggen muscle neck.

Buddy
05-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Toby,
Actually we have specific neigongs for opening the joints that... are stretching but entirely different than what you are used to. Maybe if I don't get bored typing I will write them. They are some of the most profound things I've seen. Ask me sometime.
Buddy

Toby
05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks Buddy, I appreciate it. I'm usually wary of posting IMA replies. It's way out of my experience at the moment. I'm a WC student, but my teacher teaches the advanced students XY. I think he sort of waits until students have proved they have the temperament for it. I can't wait. Fingers crossed it won't be too long now. He says he'll probably retire in 5-10yrs, so I'm itching to get a head start on XY first.

Fred Sanford
05-27-2004, 03:29 AM
I use reverse breathing when I do squats does that make them an internal exercise? oh and it take a lot of flexibility and power to do free weight squats. pretty much full range of motion fool. try going below thighs parallel to the ground and don't use a weight belt. tell me.

Midnight
05-27-2004, 05:29 AM
I see nothing wrong with weight training and tai chi at all. I just don't do them together.

My day consists of soft martial arts (tai chi) practice in the morning, weight lifting, weapons training and hard martial arts practice in the evening.

By the time I wake up the next day, I'm ready to go with more tai chi. The only times my Tai Chi 'might' be suffering, is on the morning after I increase my weight lifting routine. But I must say, Tai Chi is a great relaxant for stiff muscles.

I know people that practice the movements of tai chi while wearing 3-5 pound wrist and ankle weights. It offers resistance during the motions. So when they take off the weights and give it their undivided attention, it supposedly aids in the grace of their movements. Tho I have no personal experience in this.

To each their own.

Fu-Pow
05-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Buddy you are on my ignore list so I'm not bothering to read your posts. So don't bother replying because I'm never gonna see it.

Fu-Pow
05-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by bamboo_ leaf
(I have Taiji classmates that are overweight and out of shape in the western sense of word. I feel that I would cream them in a fight simply because I could move in quickly and bash them before they even knew what happened.)

have you tried this?
your teacher sounds like wise man I would listen to him

http://www.yiquan.org.uk/art-zz.html

this link might explain things more clearly.

Of course I don't go around attacking my classmates!!!:rolleyes:

Great article BTW. A good starting point at the very least. The article raised a lot of questions for me..Specifically....

Which muscles are phasic and which are stabilizers?

Are they different sets of muscles or can any muscle be a stabilizer or phasic depending on the posture?

Why can't you feel your stabilizer muscles?

Is the point of IMA postures to release tension down to only the necessary stablizer muscles?

If so, then how do you do this when moving?

Furthermore, how does this article relate to Peng Jin and Chan Si Jin?

How does it relate to "9 pearls" ie the nine joints and the warning my teacher gave me about lifting weights?

When you issue power are you using your stabilizer muscles to issue or are you using other phasic muscles while the stabilizers simply maintain your structure?

When you neutralize are you transferring the force into your stabilizers or are you transferring it into the other muscles not being used to support structure?

Do your stablizers stay engaged through the entire form?

Is this what is responsible for the feeling of "fullness" or "heaviness"?

How many chucks could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

;) :p

TaiChiBob
05-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Greetings..

A system that i have used for years is the medicine ball and sand-bag workouts (sand bags can weigh up to 75 lbs).. there are numerous workouts for both that utilize many coordinated systems of the body.. i am particularly fond of the Total Gym 2000, the possibilities are endless and with proper angling can offer some great stretches..

Weight training is like anything else, a little common sense goes a long way.. if you bulk-up and restrict your range of motion that might not serve you well.. if the muscles become dependent on conditioned thought to activate, they will likely forget instinctive responses..

Be well..

Fu-Pow
05-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Well I did a little diggin on the net this morning and I found some interesting stuff.....

First of all, certain muscles ARE categorized as Tonic and Phasic.

For example, Hams, iliopsoas,rect.fem.,tensor f.l.,triceps, surae, pect.maj.(sternal part), trapezius pars desc., lev. scap. and erectae spinae are all considered Tonic/Postural.

The tib.ant.,vast. med. and lat., glut max and med, rhomboids, trapezius pars asc. and horizontal are considered Phasic/Aid in Movement.

Further....

When the tonic muscles are loaded improperly they tend to contract and shorten.

When the phasic muscles are loaded improperly they tend to lengthen too much.

Perhaps the key here is to tone (ie contract) and strengthen the Phasic muscles, ie through weight training.

And to lengthen and stretch the Tonic muscles (ie through Taiji practice, stretching, etc.)

Kumkuat
05-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Chan Si Jin (silk reeling energy) is peng jin moving in "spirals." Or spirals powered by peng. It's how the body naturally moves because of the way the muscles are layed out on you body. Sure you can force or parody chan si jin by twisting your arm flamboyantly, but if you move with peng, it will twist and spiral automatically.

For instance, if you stand relaxed and stick your right arm out in front of you and twist your torso to your left, your right arm is gonna turn slightly clockwise. If you twist your body to your right your right arm is gonna turn counterclockwise. If you're not relaxed it's not gonna happen.

Anyway, weight lifting and taiji. No matter how "full body" compound exercises you have, it's totally different from neijia's full body power. If you jump up in the air, and since you're whole body is moving in unison in the air, does that mean that's neijia? No, of course not. First of all, snatches, cleans, push pulls, jerks, etc., are too different "full body exercises" from neijia. Weight lifting requires you to tense up your muscles. In neijia, you have to relax your muscles.

Anyway, if you want to lift weight, lift weights. It don't matter. It's good for you. Raises metabolism, helps immensly in your external strength, increases bone density, looks good for the chicks, etc., Just don't think it'll help your taiji much.

Fu-Pow
05-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Kumkuat
Chan Si Jin (silk reeling energy) is peng jin moving in "spirals." Or spirals powered by peng.

No offense but this statement doesn't make sense to me. My understanding is that Peng Jin is "inflation" or lengthening of the joints. Chan Si Jin is force produced from spiral movement. Which is the condition created by the other? Does Chan Si Jin movement create the condition of Peng? Or does the condition of Peng Jin naturally induce Chan Si Jin movement and force?

bamboo_ leaf
05-27-2004, 12:52 PM
http://www.taiji-qigong.de/info/articles/fuenf_punkte.php

(A large number of these writings are still not available to Westerners, since they have not yet been translated from Chinese and published in the West. One of these concepts are the "Five points" that are being used to explain how to control the opponent and which points to attack. This theory has been traduated through the Yang Jianhou lineage and can be found in the books by Wei Shuren (available through Jarek Szymanski's Website) and in Chinese texts on the World Wide Web. )

a good site that might answer some of your questions. What I have seen and felt from people who lift and also practice taiji is that they are unable to really change and for the most part can not really use the body to produce a wave of force (jin)
from my point of view this would be understandable and expected.

I am not saying that lifting is bad, only that it might not be the best thing to do if one is trying to reach the higher skills of taiji. ;)

I meant that the conditioning you found lacking in your classmates might not hinder their taiji skill level (apples and oranges) did you try something with one of them to find out if it really mattered that much?

I know many people in much better outside condition then me, but my inner condition is better then theirs. If I try to match them on there level there is not much I can really do.

They cant match my inner level, this tends to negate there outer skills quite nicely :cool:

Kumkuat
05-27-2004, 12:54 PM
In my understanding, Chan Si jin is produced by peng (although Yan Gao Fei says Chan Si and peng jin is same). That right arm example i gave is an crude example of what chan si jin is suppose be like -- the natural turning of the arm. But that's not chan si jin. But if you move like that with peng in the arms and let it spiral, that's chan si.

bamboo_ leaf
05-27-2004, 01:28 PM
A few words on peng.

It must be able to adapt and change much like a balloon reacting to outside forces applied to it, this accomplished for the most part using the (yi) or mind not by stuctural alignment.

If your idea of peng is some type of force that stops, supports force or is based on alignment, I would say it is a little different then mine. My model would be a balloon.

The idea of change and equilibrium: taiji not an either or an or.

An in-between state that can instantly change to either state still maintaining aspects of the other. I look at taiji as being the s shaped line in the middle of the taiji symbol reather then the exterems.

Using a balloon, it can be popped and inflated or slowly deflected and inflated. Always responsive to the others force and intent.

Sensitivity (ting) becomes the main issue. Can you be so light that a feather sets it in motion or a fly can not find a stable place to land while still lifting? If you can then should be no problem with lifting :cool:

Fu-Pow
05-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by bamboo_ leaf
A few words on peng.

It must be able to adapt and change much like a balloon reacting to outside forces applied to it, this accomplished for the most part using the (yi) or mind not by stuctural alignment.

Hmmm....not sure whether I disagree with you there. It seems that I have much the same idea about Peng Jin.

According the article that you posted we cannot directly "feel" our stabilizer/postural/tonic muscles to activate them, but we can move them by using our "intent."

However, what I'm wondering is it that Chan Si movement is necessary to maintain Peng Jin. Or if Chan Si is something that is separate from Peng Jin and is utilized to express power.

You'll notice that other martial arts (even karate) use a spiraling motion to generate force. The spiral motion generates more power because by spiraling you increase the distance that the punch has to travel.

What's missing from other MA's however is this idea of Peng Jin.

Conversely, you have an art like Xing Yi which does not emphasize Chan Si Jin (at least that I know of by name) but does emphasize something equivalent to Peng Jin.

So what I'm thinking now is that it might be possible to train something like Chan Si Jin separately ie via weights by using a spiraling motion (phasic contraction,this would then be applicable to my other martial art of Choy Lay Fut, which incorporates spiral motion) ) while training and then combine that with my standing practice which increases Peng Jin (tonic lengthening).

I see two problems though:

1) If the same muscles are incorporated for both standing and lifting then this simply would not work.

2) If the weight training somehow contracts the tonic muscles losing the ability for Peng Jin. :eek:

Buddy
05-27-2004, 08:13 PM
For those of you who can read my posts you might tell Fu that I gave him an honest answer with no vitriol. Otherwise Fu, your loss. My last word on this post. I will not cast pearls before swine.
Fu, you know nothing of Xingyquan. It certainly does emphasize the coiling jing. However it's call luoxianjin.

TaiChiBob
05-28-2004, 05:14 AM
Greetings..

Sometimes it's just plain intent, the intention to have reasonably toned musclature for such simple tasks as lifting bags of dog food, cement, etc.. for moving furniture, or push-starting a car, etc.. i sense that there is a reasonable and beneficial balance between hulks and spindly or poorly toned persons.. i sense that any extreme is counter-productive, too much out of shape or too much "in-shape".. The wisdom is knowing the balance, and what to do with it..

Be well..

Ford Prefect
05-28-2004, 12:26 PM
"So here's my problem with weight lifting. When you lift weights you are breaking body unity. Even if you are doing a mostly "whole body" excercise like a clean, snatch or dead lift you are still not LITERALLY using the "whole body" (ie every joint in the body simultaneously) in the same way that you would if you were doing Taiji."

I beg to differ. I have limitted experience with IMA, but in a simple term it was basically unifying the body's movement, breath, and concentration to deliver the largest amount of force possible to strike, rip, throw, etc.

In oly weight lifting (snatch & clean) you need to coordinate movements over your entire body with concentration, flawless form, and breath in order to deiliver the most amount of force possible to your hands (holding the barbell).

This is as much beauty in motion as a good tai chi form to me:

http://www.olympiclifting.citymax.com/page/page/547853.htm

SNATCH: Exhale, pull bar off ground slowly while maintaining an arched back (shoulders in front of bar), start picking up speed as barbell comes further up body until middle of thighs, exhale sharply, go up on your toes - shrug your shoulders - extend your hips exposively (can cause to jump) - and lift with your arms in a near simultaneous chain of coordinated movement, pull yourself under the bar to catch the barbell in an overhead position while in a full squat and arched back (this position alone takes good balance, strength and flexability in shoulders and hips), stand up.

That's just a brief description too. That barbell that this 150 lbs guy is effortless throwing in the air and catching weighs about 375 lbs... Not too bad. Great display of coordinated movement and explosive strength.

bamboo_ leaf
05-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Not to belabor the point of weather wt lifting is good or not, it seems to me that the point of wt lifting is to be able to move or lift more wt.

(That barbell that this 150 lbs guy is effortless throwing in the air and catching weighs about 375 lbs... Not too bad. Great display of coordinated movement and explosive strength)

this might be good for explosive strength but can he sense and use another’s or will he just use his own to overpower them? This seems at odds with something that is supposed to teach one the ability to barrow or use another’s force while applying or using very little of ones own.

We talk of shape meaning intent, with people that have practiced other arts for a while, and then switch to taiji you can feel this when pushing with them, its something they work to over come. It gets built into the body and mind. I would think that the idea of moveing things gets built into the body the same way.

If the idea of taiji is in accordance with the others movements, how does the body mind respond to following anothers movement after moving around wts according to ones own intent?

The expansion and contraction, that this post started off with has nothing to do with muscle usage but the ability to inflate and deflate the body using ones breath. Lifting will not help in this.

Learning how to deeply relax and how to breath useing your whole body will. ;)

just ideas that come to mind reading the post, not a diffintive right or wrong.

Ford Prefect
05-28-2004, 05:11 PM
The only thing that moves your body are muscles. It doesn't matter if you are "relaxed" or tense; it's your muscles doing the moving.

This guy probably isn't winning any curl competitions but the reason why he is winning medals in the olympics is because he has learned to coordinate a complex movement involving his entire body (ankle/calnves, knee/thighs, hip/hip extensors, spine/spinal erectors, shoulders/traps&delts, hands/forearms). If the power from being able to do this doesn't come in handy, then the level of coordination and concentration needed for the lift do.

Buddy
05-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Pardon me, luoxuanjin

TaiChiBob
05-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Greetings..

The expansion and contraction, that this post started off with has nothing to do with muscle usage but the ability to inflate and deflate the body using ones breath. Lifting will not help in this.

Perhaps not lifting, but.. working with weight can help coordinate inflating and deflating while under stress.. We get several (4-7) guys standing in a circle, backs facing inward (front facing away from the center) such that we can pass a medicine ball or bag of sand from one to another.. this permits us to work on many different principles like weight-shifting, turning, breath, gripping, posture, awareness, etc.. we routinely twist so that we receive the object from behind ( i twist to my right to recieve the weight from my left, then i twist to my left completely across the front and around behind myself to hand it to the next guy, who is twisted all the way to his right).. each reception has an inhale until it passes front mid point then becomes an exhale.. maintaining peng, posture, weight distribution, relaxed traps, etc.. are excellent focuses during this exercise.. and builds a coordinated movement with focus, intent and a level of resistence that one might reasonably expect to encounter in normal life conditions..

Be well..

scotty1
06-02-2004, 05:15 AM
i sense that there is a reasonable and beneficial balance between hulks and spindly or poorly toned persons.. i sense that any extreme is counter-productive, too much out of shape or too much "in-shape".. The wisdom is knowing the balance, and what to do with it..

Agreed. Very 'taiji':)

Zhiu
06-02-2004, 09:02 PM
I asked several different people on this subject one master and two senior students that I know. They say that it depends on your age. Well not literally but hear me out. When you're younger say between 8-25ish doing all sorts of martial arts internal and external should not be a problem because no matter what happens you will generally have good flexibility when doing whatever so long as you keep training. However in your later years your muscles start to contract and you need to stretch even more especially for weight lifters who might not stretch as much. Being older and practiscing tai chi may cause that imbalance that people talk about. that's why children are amazing material for martial arts because their tendons and muscles are still very loose and they can do all sorts of excercises and still benefit from all of them in their respects with hinderance to others

red5angel
06-04-2004, 07:01 AM
I think the idea that you can't lift weights, get strong or have big muscles is ignorant and stems from a series of dead ideas from an ancient culture.
Essentially, IMA requires a call to your structure, basically, in order to work the way it is supposed to. Large muscle doesn't get in the way of this, and there is no reason why you can't have appreciable muscle mass and still learn to use your structure, and not your muscle, when it comes to doing an IMA.

Ray Pina
06-04-2004, 11:54 AM
The reason I am against weight lifting is two fold:

1) It teaches you to fight against the weight

2) Its investing wrongly. You have a ceiling on how much you can lift, and whatever that ceiling is it is still less than the bigger, stronger, younger college guy. So you train to push against a heavy force but what happens when the force is bigger.

With that said, I believe two-man strenght building sets and using a heavy pole or sword are important. But the difference is that you USE the weight instead of FIGHT AGAINST the weight.

This is my opiniona and whatever anyone chooses is fine and good luck.

I view it like this: you're 145lbs and skinny and have trouble with the 150lbs guy. So you go and lift and take Rip Fuel or whatever and get stronger and bulk up to a muscle-filled 160lbs. You can now beat the 150 guy no problem. But what about me? I'm 205 lbs with 25+ years of training. How much more muscle mass can you put on?

I'd rather put that time in training a better way, learning the knife, ect.

Of course, let's not bull$hit ourselves, all this weight lifting talk is really about girls.

A lot of these MMA types have body builder bodies, not fighter bodies, and have a bit of that guido juice-head in them. That Russian guy, Igor, he looks tubby and not ripped as most of these guys but is tough.

So its a matter of what one wants. These MMA guys are good fighters who happen to body build. But at the same time they are putting stress on their body and doing internal damage playing with the juice. I'd like to see a 50+ UFC. I'd also like to see steroid testing.

Fu-Pow
06-04-2004, 12:18 PM
With that said, I believe two-man strenght building sets and using a heavy pole or sword are important. But the difference is that you USE the weight instead of FIGHT AGAINST the weight.

Good point.

However, you might also consider that you could be in a fighting scenario where you cannot use solely your internal "strength."

Demonstrating your internal strength in Push hands is one thing but actual street combat is another.

You could find yourself in a scenario where having some localized muscular strength would be an advantage, for example, ground fighting.

Also, having some external muscle mass tends to protect you against strikes.

So as someone mentioned before perhaps it is a matter of striking a balance between internal and external development.

The key is then, how do you get the mind/body to
"switch gears" from external muscle active (external) to external muscle passive (internal).

Shooter
06-04-2004, 12:28 PM
...clueless...

looking_up
06-04-2004, 12:58 PM
If you were lying on a bench and someone dropped the bar (with weights on it) on you, and you sort of deflected the bar to the side so it fell on the ground and didn't crush you...that'd be using peng with weights.

Fu-Pow
06-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by looking_up
If you were lying on a bench and someone dropped the bar (with weights on it) on you, and you sort of deflected the bar to the side so it fell on the ground and didn't crush you...that'd be using peng with weights.

Peng Jin is not simply deflection. Most martial arts have this concept. Peng Jin is like "sticky deflection."