TheBlackDragons
05-26-2004, 02:49 PM
I know he has a video course and has trained from some of
Sifu Lam sangs Jook LUm Disciples. Has anyone had ANy experience
With The Coures

Thanks for your time

fidon
05-26-2004, 08:12 PM
I haven't, but learning from a video tape probably isnt the best way to go about it. The best way is to actually find a school nearby and then test it out in person, there the correct techniques and structure will be shown and corrected, whereas a video can only show so much.

Lost Oath
05-28-2004, 03:08 AM
You can't learn Southern Praying Mantis from a video. Period.

David
05-29-2004, 02:48 AM
To be fair, the course is intended for groups of two and up.

A pair with previous MA experience could make something worthwhile of it, enough to motivate them to go see a teacher.

Rgds,
David

jo
06-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Steven T. Richards published that he was a student of Roger Hagood.

MonkeySlap Too
06-04-2004, 03:06 PM
I met Hagood once...he seemed a nice enough chap, friendly, and had skill. Better than most MA people I see, but as far as SPM infighting goes, I have no idea. One of the reasons I left SPM for other stuff is because everyone is so hung up on 'secrets' and who gave what secret to whom that learning gets stifled and innovation crushed. Except for the players non-stop bickering, it's a fantastic system. The school I belonged to briefly fought frequenrtly outside of SPM circles, I think if SPM showed it's hand more, they would have a great rep.

TheBlackDragons
06-12-2004, 07:49 PM
I agree I never see spm in action

some free sparring vids would be nice

David
06-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Why do you want to start a spm forum when you have no spm?

Sam
06-13-2004, 06:55 AM
What happened to Roger. Last I heard he was in China and was suppose to bring back all this documentation and videos from Chung Yul Jong, Wong Yu Kung lineages. Haven't heard from him in over a year.

Jim Roselando
06-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Hello Sam,

Roger is living in China still. I believe Pingshan!

We spoke not long ago.

Regards,

TheBlackDragons
06-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Because i want the freedom for people to express there interest and question of spm with out fear of me running my forum as a dictator ! ! ! ,,i can tolerate everything except name calling

I want knowledgeable spm people to post there it will be a few months until it's up

excuse my spelling

TheBlackDragons
06-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Jim Are you a student of Roger Hagoods?

and if so are you Happy with schooling
and progress

Thanks for your time

Jim Roselando
06-16-2004, 05:21 AM
Black Dragon,

Yes. The little bit about SPM that I know comes from Sifu Hagood.

I am no longer active with SPM but its a superb art and I maintain contact with Sifu. I regard him as a friend as well as a sifu! Also, one of Lam Sang's disciples is also a good friend of mine. Actually, he is my main Chi Kung teacher.

Sifu Hagood visited Boston a few times for seminars and I also travelled down south to visit him. His video correspondance course is very easy to follow and learn from if that also interests you! What I learned was A1 Kung Fu and his students were all quality people. You will get a lot of mixed feedback regarding Sifu but take nobodies word for it and see for yourself. He is one of the finest Kung Fu teachers/fighters I have ever met and his passion for SPM is incredible!

Regards,

TheBlackDragons
06-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Thank you Jim I believe you are helping me resovle my problem

Jim Roselando
06-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Black Dragon,

Anytime!

E-mail me if you have anything else you would like the chat about!

Regards,

bamboo_ leaf
06-17-2004, 09:46 AM
an old kung fu bother of mine,

Its been a while since we last talked, interesting to know that he is china now.

I would characterized him as an old school teacher with some real kung fu skills to share.

jo
11-21-2012, 05:39 PM
He just released his "Two Man Sambojin" book. The pics in the book are pics he had already posted on his website. Nothing new...except the package and the price. ;-)

-jo

Dale Dugas
11-24-2012, 07:10 AM
And when was the last time you did anything?

Ahh, right. Never.

Stop the yapping.

jo
11-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Dale, you are touting his books.

I gave a book review.

-jo

Pakua4581
12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Hi all,

Although I haven't learnt SPM from Mr Hagood,I have found him to be a very courteous person in his e-mail correspondence.He has also spent the last 10 years in Pingshan,China,training,meeting and documenting the SPM of the Old masters (many who have since passed)and generally preserving a lot of material that may otherwise have been lost. All this is available on his Chinamantis website.

I've also seen a private video of his crossing hands with and defeating a Chinese Master at the masters school,this video was shared by another SPM brother.

The video course he offers on Jook Lum is very comprehensive and detailed,and while you really cant learn SPM from videos,if you have prior experience and with hard work you can obtain a certain amount of body knowledge which you can later have corrected from a teacher.If you have trained dilligently,the period of correction will not be long or extensive.

sanjuro_ronin
12-13-2012, 06:28 AM
I Have Sifu Hagood's book, 18 Buddha hands.
As usual Sifu Hagood puts a lot of detail in regards to history and tradition of Jook Lum SPM, there are many pictures in the book of the various hand formations (defensive and offensive) the stances, the poem that go with each, points to be made for each technique or position or stance.
It is an introductory book, not a training manual and one will most certainly NOT be able to learn SPM from it BUT it does give a person an idea of the 19 hand formations in Jook Lum SPM.
There are not real applications and no hint of how SPM works in a fight BUT that is NOT the focus of the book.
In short, a good book that gives a basic introduction to a part of the JL SPM curriculum as Sifu Hagood learned it from Sifu Louie Jack Man.

Faruq
12-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi all,

Although I haven't learnt SPM from Mr Hagood,I have found him to be a very courteous person in his e-mail correspondence.He has also spent the last 10 years in Pingshan,China,training,meeting and documenting the SPM of the Old masters (many who have since passed)and generally preserving a lot of material that may otherwise have been lost. All this is available on his Chinamantis website.

I've also seen a private video of his crossing hands with and defeating a Chinese Master at the masters school,this video was shared by another SPM brother.

The video course he offers on Jook Lum is very comprehensive and detailed,and while you really cant learn SPM from videos,if you have prior experience and with hard work you can obtain a certain amount of body knowledge which you can later have corrected from a teacher.If you have trained dilligently,the period of correction will not be long or extensive.

Wow, I wish all these resources existed for Bak Mei Pai...