PDA

View Full Version : lion dance drum beat

AndyC
05-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Can anyone provide mp3/wav sample of a lion dance drum beat?

Preferably covering the basic movements such as 7-star, 3-star & 'pow sei'.

any help is much appreciated.

forgot to mention that i'm only interested in the drum beat, so if possible no symbols or gong in the samples.

firepalm
05-27-2004, 01:21 AM
http://www.yellowriverdrummers.org/liondance.htm:cool:

Pork Chop
05-27-2004, 05:41 AM
A lot of drum beats are style, family, and even school specific so I don't know what good sampling would do.

Better to contact your teacher, grandteacher, or lineage head.

*taking a moment to reflect on how much he misses playing lion*
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Ray Pina
05-27-2004, 12:12 PM
da, da, da, da .... dat-da-da-dat-dat-dat

dat-da-da-dat-dat-dat
dat-da-da-dat-dat-dat

Dat, pa, ching
Dat, pa ching

....so on and so forth

norther practitioner
05-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Oh snap, thats my jam efist....

little ol' school.

David Jamieson
05-27-2004, 07:50 PM
3 star is standard pretty much anywhere.

dig it up, give it a listen and follow along.

it's in a whack of different videos, movies, performances.

1.2, 1.2, 1.2.3.4

1.2.3 1.2.3

1.2 123456789 - 10

etc etc. clickity clacks on the side and begin again, throw in a couple of dramatic booms and downshuffles when the changs are getting ripped up, but that's the basic pattern of pretty much every southern lion dance ever! lol, except where the drummer is creative and throws in a couple of slick rumpadiddy's of their own. :D

Pork Chop
05-28-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
3 star is standard pretty much anywhere.

Ummm no

We didn't even have a beat we called "3 star".
Our's were "big drum", "7 star", and "basic beat" (probably the closest to 3 star).

I've sat down with other southern people, mostly hung gar, but also people from other pai; and there's a vast difference.

Some beats have a similar general structure; but the pacing, the intonation, and even the number of beats per stanza can all be way different.

The only lion drum that sounds the same all the time is the modern sport stuff; and that's mostly because of the influence of the major players in that style of competition.

David Jamieson
05-28-2004, 07:08 AM
bmore

you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing?

listen longer, watch more, that's the only advice I can give ya buddy.

whatever you wanna call it "basic beat" "3 star" etc etc.

It is the essential beat to southern lion dance. Been watching it and doing it for long time.

cheers

p.s as for differences, well, what can I say say, some drummers are good and others do not have the propensity for drumming, so they just do their best. the essence is same though. THink of the difference between watching your classmate do an advanced form and watching your teacher do the same form.

This truism applies to any skill really. Drumming included. However, I would add that rythym is as vital as body balance to being a good martial artist.

brothernumber9
05-28-2004, 07:16 AM
the name I was taught for that beat was yee mm sing

David Jamieson
05-28-2004, 07:22 AM
2 no star?

That's interesting.

cheers

Shaolinlueb
05-28-2004, 07:29 AM
i saw bmores lion dance from his old school. and all i can say it was the best lion dance i have ever seen. have seen hung gar schools do it and im like "they got nothing on wongs lion dance."

brothernumber9
05-28-2004, 07:47 AM
no, 2 - 5 star

the normal order we use is
dai goo - big drum
yee Mm (Ng) sing - 2 - 5 star
Sung Foon Chew Young - I don't remember translation, but refers to the directions of shooting up the head left, right center,
chat sing - 7 star

loi goo -- rolling drum for bowing sequences

I've heard and seen music form Jow Ga, Jook Lum, Wah Lum, Hung Ga, Choy lay Fut, Bak Mei, Bak Hok, Lung Ying, Jing Wu, Hung Fut, northern mantis, and a bunch of competition teams and benevolence societies, etc. A few sound the same, some sound similar and some sound completely different. I imagine there may be some common names used amongs the same dialects but it seems every organization has different names for the same or similar rhythms as other organizations.

Pork Chop
05-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Shaolinlueb's heard the beats I was talking about.
I wouldn't say they're better or worse, they're different.

Jow Ga plays lion at a different pace than Hung Ga and their drums are a different pace as well; with different flair, and even different variations in the "standard" beats.

Playing lion is VERY style, family, and school dependent.
So no, I'm not disagreeing just to disagree.
The flair you play your drum and lion with defines your school.
Trying to pick up stuff from a video means a break from your own tradition.

The analogy is like living in downtown Philly, training at some boxing gym like Frazier's, but looking to videos from Title or Ringside for your defense or offense.
You've got a huge cultural tradition right there to take advantage of, no need to look some place externally.

I don't feel like dropping names here, but I've discussed this with people who most TCMA people in the US would agree know their stuff.
In other words, I'm not making this up just to disagree with you.

Shaolinlueb
Appreciate the compliment, but there are definitely some capable hung players out there. Sometimes the really good stuff is a little slower and more subtle.
Man I miss playing lion... :(