PDA

View Full Version : Bak Si Lum

Friendless Tool
05-26-2004, 07:48 PM
my sifu said he teaches this. I have no idea what it is? any ideas?

Shaolinlueb
05-26-2004, 08:02 PM
do a search on here. there is a lot of info on bak sil lum. if i knew the links there is a thing on it in the ezine.

norther practitioner
05-27-2004, 10:48 AM
do a search like lueb said.

Bak means northern si = shao lum= lin
so northern shaolin but in cantonese, not manderin.

Fen
05-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Bak Pai Sil Lum Kung Fu (BSL) is an external style directly descended from the systems taught at the Shaolin Temple in China. BSL was developed as a long fist style that emphasizes kicking and hand techniques. The long-range system stresses full extension of the limbs so that kicks and punches are stretched out as far as possible without compromising balance and power.

It is written by the old historians that BSL is 900 years old which would take it to 1000-1100 AD and that it is a merge of 5 mother styles: Ch'a, Wah, Hung, Pao and Hua. It’s history includes some of the grates Kung fu Masters in history. Masters Ku Yu Chang, Yim Shan Wu and Wong Jack Man.

These are just the core sets of Bak Pai Sil Lum. There are other sets that are taught within the school. The core sets are as follows (in Cantonese then English):

Shaolin #1 - Koi Moon (Opening the door)
Shaolin #2 –Leng Low (The Leader)
Shaolin #3 –Jou Mah (The Sitting Horse)
Shaolin #4 –Chum Sam (Strike the Heart)
Shaolin #5 –Mo I (Martial Arts)
Shaolin #6 –Tun Da (The Short Strike)
Shaolin #7 –Moi Fat (The Plum Flower)
Shaolin #8 –Bot Bo (The Shuffling Step)
Shaolin #9 –Lien Wan (Continuation)
Shaolin #10- Sik Fot (Skilled Technique)

~Jason

GeneChing
05-27-2004, 11:16 AM
See my e-zine article (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=158) on this topic.

Friendless Tool
05-27-2004, 11:26 AM
I hear now days that most the stuff taught at the shaolin temple is wushu. Is this true? I would love to journey up their for a couple months and train my @$$ off, but if it isnt tradtional, then i wont bother.

Thanks for all the info, its more than i expected.

norther practitioner
05-27-2004, 11:42 AM
There is some info here, and a whole bunch at Doc's site about training in Shaolin. www.russbo.com.

NorthernShaolin
05-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Who is your teacher, may I ask?

You did not say if your sifu teaches the style or system.

Sometimes a school will claim that they teach BSL because they use the term, BSL, in general. If that is the case, then he could just teach Tan Tui or some other style that is closely related (like Fan Tzu Eagle Claw) or is in the BSL family (like Mi tsung Lo Han) and not the specific style of BSL.

Shaolinlueb
05-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by NorthernShaolin
Who is your teacher, may I ask?

You did not say if your sifu teaches the style or system.

Sometimes a school will claim that they teach BSL because they use the term, BSL, in general. If that is the case, then he could just teach Tan Tui or some other style that is closely related (like Fan Tzu Eagle Claw) or is in the BSL family (like Mi tsung Lo Han) and not the specific style of BSL.

i know bak shaolin eagle vclaw teaches borthern shaolin and they use a lot fo eagle claw grabs in the forms.

Friendless Tool
05-27-2004, 03:50 PM
My sifu is Paul Chu.

www.chuskungfu.org

Friendless Tool
05-27-2004, 03:51 PM
by the way, he said he knows the entire system

NorthernShaolin
05-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Great! Thanks for the web site. It turns out that your sifu is my Uncle as part of my lineage is from Ma Kim Fung too.

Friendless Tool
05-27-2004, 09:56 PM
awsome, whos your sifu?

and where is he?
have a website?

NorthernShaolin
05-27-2004, 10:37 PM
My sifu is Wong Jack Man in San Francisco.
No, he does not have a web site since he is from the old traditional way of thinking but my school does.

www.jingmo.org