PDA

View Full Version : Steelwire Mantis

lungying
05-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Hi,

I have been studying steelwire mantis for some time now - just wondering if anyone else practices and where. Also what forms do you train etc? Any info would be nice.

Cheers

p.s i live in the UK

One Finger Zen
06-09-2004, 08:47 AM
hey there lung ying

my teacher's master knows both hung kuen and southern mantis and emphasizes a lot on the steel wire set from hung kuen in his mantis? Is this what you mean?

p.s. i live in the uk too :P

Ben Gash
06-10-2004, 04:26 AM
Yeah, Steelwire Mantis was the banner that Tony Leung taught under in the early to mid nineties. It's essentially Hung Kuen and SPM taught side by side (the forms are even identified as mantis and Steelwire (HG)).

One Finger Zen
06-10-2004, 10:54 AM
ben, do you practice hung kuen or southern mantis ??

just wondered and where?

later

OFZ

One Finger Zen
06-10-2004, 11:03 AM
lungying,

is steelwire mantis a hybrid of mantis and hung kuen?

what kinda stuff do you do? eg drills, forms, any mok jong?

cheers,

OFZ

Andrew
06-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Steelwire Mantis was indeed the banner that Sifu Leung used to teach under.

It was has rightly been pointed out Hung gar and SPM specfically Chu Gar and Chow Gar SPM. Sifu Leung used the banner to differentiate his teachings from other schools, as it was used to express the findings of his own experiences.

Since 2000, however the system has effectively been put to rest. With his acceptance as a Shaolin Layman disciple under Shi Su Xi being awarded the title Shi De Lon, to which I was a witness, he has been shown the little known Shaolin Duan Da system. This is a little known short hand system of Shaolin. The result is that it has radically altered his interpretation of his SPM.

Thank you for your interest, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. If you wish for a free VCD, then PM with your address. Further contact details are available at

www.shaolin.org.uk

Andrew
Shi Xing Bao