PDA

View Full Version : Xing Yi in Houston?

Friendless Tool
05-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Anyone know a Xing Yi school in Houston?. I've seen some vids of it on the internet. Looks awsome.

SunBeam
06-04-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm still looking myself. Are you still studing at the school off of Bellaire?

SunBeam
06-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey,

Only contacts I have found are Dr. Her Yue Wong in Bellaire. He is retired but sells vidoes and does private lessons http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mabrown88/index.htm

The other is Grandmaster Maing Yul Jung at http://www.wushusifu.com/

I emailed Dr. Wong and he seemed to be okay but I was leary about the video tape thing. Grandmaster Maing Yul Jung use to have a school in Clear Lake that I went by. Was too Commercial if you know what I mean. A lot of kids. I don't know. May be I'm too picky. Five Elements on Fannin close down or moved. It seemed like the best option. The guy would start you in Long fist at a discounted rate for a few months than you could progress to Xing Yi or Pa Kua. If you find some one else LET ME KNOW.

SunBeam
06-10-2004, 12:25 PM
I guess I am the only one. Oh well, I ran across a web site, transitionsinternalarts.com. It is Al-Waalee Muhammad's site and has some basic info. I emailed him to get more details. I have heard of him, it seems now from antiquity and his repetition is solid. Upon looking for more info on him I found that he has studied under Dr. Her Yue Wong in which I mentioned one of my earlier post. This gives more weight to Dr. Her Yue Wong as for as the caliber of student that he has dealt with. I think that I may be persuaded to purchase his tape on Hsing I now and give it a look over and maybe one or to private lessons. I work near Meyerland and he lives in Bellaire. It would be easy to hook up (I hope). Hope you see this post.

Friendless Tool
06-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Man, I just wanna learn Xing Yi, It sounds like such an amazing style

TheBlackDragons
06-20-2004, 12:48 AM
where did you see the vids?

do you have a link?

I'm from Houston too

Hsing- I Great Topic

CD Lee
06-20-2004, 10:33 PM
If you guys can't find anyone in Houston, carpool, take a 4 hr lesson once a month from a distance teacher. You will have plenty to work on until the next time you meet the teacher.

There are plenty in TX to meet your needs. Maybe not close, but close enough to learn.

Good luck

nairb
06-24-2004, 10:12 PM
One of Al-Waalee Muhammad students told me he only teaches black muslims. Seriously.

This is second hand of course. I haven't tried to contact him directly.

Originally posted by SunBeam
I guess I am the only one. Oh well, I ran across a web site, transitionsinternalarts.com. It is Al-Waalee Muhammad's site and has some basic info. I emailed him to get more details. I have heard of him, it seems now from antiquity and his repetition is solid. Upon looking for more info on him I found that he has studied under Dr. Her Yue Wong in which I mentioned one of my earlier post. This gives more weight to Dr. Her Yue Wong as for as the caliber of student that he has dealt with. I think that I may be persuaded to purchase his tape on Hsing I now and give it a look over and maybe one or to private lessons. I work near Meyerland and he lives in Bellaire. It would be easy to hook up (I hope). Hope you see this post.

houstonwriter.c
06-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Nah, unless this is a new thing, he teaches anyone willing to work hard and pay tuition. I took bagua from him for a short while a few years ago and I'm a pasty-faced cracker. Too bad he closed, he's pretty cool. His shop was neat, too.

SunBeam
06-29-2004, 07:36 AM
I emailed me and he still teaches. He gave me his rates. Shoot me an message for more info.

SunBeam
06-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Don't be in a hurry when you post... I meant to say in the previous post that I emailed him at the address on his website and he replied back with the basic pricing of his classes. If you would like more info, please send me a pm.

Thank You,

SB

htowndragon
06-29-2004, 09:53 AM
a lot of "hidden people" in houston. look around and you will find one. ask around the chinese community, and u might find a conservative teacher who is willing to teach u.

Friendless Tool
07-11-2004, 11:14 PM
I like that idea best, I think a private teacher would be best.

Sorry i havent posted or responded in a while, ive been busy with other things. should focus more on kung fu

nairb
07-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Does anyone have Al- Waalee's website URL or email?

Originally posted by SunBeam
Don't be in a hurry when you post... I meant to say in the previous post that I emailed him at the address on his website and he replied back with the basic pricing of his classes. If you would like more info, please send me a pm.

Thank You,

SB

nairb
07-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Got it . Thought other people might be interested.

www.transitionsinternalarts.com

Originally posted by nairb
Does anyone have Al- Waalee's website URL or email?

SunBeam
07-21-2004, 11:33 AM
I finally found were the 5 element school moved to. 2327 San Jacinto. I will check it out this week and let you know.

Friendless Tool
08-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Awsome work sunbeam, im trying to find out how far away it is from where i live.. seems like i might have to take a freeway but if this guy is the real deal, than it wont matter to me

hopefully he's not too expensive...

i checked out that msuslim guy's site. looks good. not sure if he tries to implicate Islam into what he teaches. if he does than i dont think id like it.

SunBeam
08-10-2004, 05:34 AM
I went to the school last week for a free trial lesson. The school is off of San Jacinto past the HCC Campus near downtown. The school use to be on Fannin near the old Sears store. The instructor is Bohmmani Magrhibi (spelling may be incorrect). It is kind of hard to get info on him but it seems that he has studied under Madam Wang who I believe is Grandmaster Wang Ziping granddaughter. Classes in Long Fist, Tai Chi, Pau Qa, and Hsing I or offered but they recommend you start in Long Fist if you have little or no martial art experience. Long Fist is considered the "beginners class". The complete style is taught including weapons. After you show some proficiency in Long Fist, you can inquire about moving on to one of the internal styles. Price varies but it is relatively cheap for Long Fist and goes up a lot for the other styles. There is no long term contract and you pay month to month. Uniforms are around what you would pay for a quality gi and they are black with red trim (kung fu style). I was little concerned about the schools atmosphere because of the Muslim influence but that never came up in my talks to the assistance instructor or during the trial class. It is an African Import Store during the day. Dude, didn't mean for this to be long but, oh well. The class was good. It let me know how out of shape I am. Don't know about the whole learn Long Fist first thing but I guess it makes sense if you are new to Martial Arts. Since I am fairly new, I guess that will the route I have to take.

- SunBeam

GLW
08-10-2004, 06:42 AM
Bomani's background:

There are a couple of instructors of his I can't recall...however:

Trained with Yang Jwing Ming until Yang moved from Houston to Boston.

Trained with Madame Wang Jurong (the DAUGHTER of Wang Ziping) - Chaquan, Sun Style Taijiquan, and various other things. With Madame Wang, it is easier to ask what she DOESN'T know instead of what she does...the list is shorter...

Competition: When competing in the Internal divisions, he was Grand Champion for Internal - excellent Chen Style, Xingyi, and Bagua. his long fist is good as well. Powerful.

Bomani can be enigmatic...not given to BS.

YES...he is Moslem...and well respected in the Moslem community but he is also a businessman. He teaches for fee and fully understands that instruction is one thing and religion is another. He does NOT impose his beliefs on others. In fact, I KNOW for a fact that he had talks with some students that tried to make his class just that...and it was never a problem.

For Chen, Bagua, and Xingyi in Houston, you will not find better.

SunBeam
08-10-2004, 12:04 PM
GLW

Just want to thank you for the info. All I have heard about him is good and has help me solidify my decision to join the school. Just need to scape up a couple of dollars. Air condition went out and it costed me 6 large to fix it. Hope to start next month.

- SBeam

Friendless Tool
08-11-2004, 01:16 PM
****it, school is about to start... which means ill have no time to join. my mom is also yelling at me to get a job. so this guy wants us to study long fist and then progress on to xing yi?
****, ive been studying northern for about a year now. what exactly is long fist? is it wushu? is it northern? or like bak si lum 10 forms or what? im kind of out of the loop when it comes to all these different styles of northern. I only know what my sifu teaches me, and he neever seems to really care to explain the history or philosphy of our forms or style. All i know for sure is that he is very lazy and jaded by all the p.o.s. students he's had for the past 20 years. its kind of sad, especially when you want to prove to him that your dedicated. His teaching has become more of a business than a passion. this isnt to say that he's a fake. My sifu is real. ive never seen someone so powerful yet agile at the same time. hes just jaded...jaded as hell

Friendless Tool
08-11-2004, 01:52 PM
right.. the previous post has nothing to do with Xing Yi.. sorry about that.

anyway, what's the scheduale for the Xing Yi classes?

I'll see what i can do, but as of now it seems i wont be able to join. Bummer eh?

SunBeam
08-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Friendless Tool,

Sorry to hear about the school conflict and job. I believe the style is Jia Men Chang Quan (Islamic style long fist). I would assume that it is very close to what you have been training in. Seems like they want to make sure that you have some basic understanding and foundation before moving to Xing Yi. This is traditionally a normal request/requirement before taking on something like advance like Bagua. He stated that it is a beginner’s course and all new students have to go through at least one month of it. I would also suppose that it is a way to qualify and/or filter students by having them do Long Fist first. Sounds like you have experience and a good foundation, one month would be all you needed before you moved on. I did not talk to Bohmmani Magrhibi but to a senior student (assistant instructor) at the school named Azim or Ahzim. Magrhibi played congo/bongo drums in back corner of the room looking over his shoulder ever now and then. Kind of cool having class with Reggae, Tribal Beat and classic Santana playing in the background.

GLW
08-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Bomani's long fist....

He teaches the routines from Yang Jwing Ming (LienBuQuan, Gonliquan, etc...) as well as 10 Line Tan Tui, 20 Fist Method, and if you are lucky, Chaquan system...as well as some weapons.

Bomani does NOT teach Contemporary Wushu.

His basics are STRONGLY influenced by Madame Wang Jurong in that respect...and she is VERY insistent on solid foundations and good basics.

He requires people to learn this to build them up and lay a foundation in regard to stances, concepts, techniques.

It also weeds out the lazy students and those with no patience to learn. Bomani does not suffer fools well.

Besides, Xingyi - Dong was reputed to NOT take a student until that person had already mastered another martial art. He wanted people with basics and treated his art as graduate work. Interestingly enough, if you look at the different lineages from him, each one has a unique imprint of the student they came from with THEIR first art's influences mixed in.