PDA

View Full Version : What are Thai pads supposed to feel like?

IronFist
05-27-2004, 09:03 PM
My Thai pads came today! FedEx just left them in the box outside my front apartment entrance. Anyone could have picked them up. :mad:

Anyway, I had my friend hold them while I kicked them a few times. I've never used them before so I have nothing to compare them to. How hard are they supposed to be, and how much are they supposed to collapse when you kick them?

I got these (http://www.ambersports.com/muaythakicpa.html) by Amber, except mine are all black. They are 16x7.5x4". I just found out they also have an XL pair that is 18 inches long for $10 more. Oh well, these are fine.

So I know it's probably hard to describe how they should be without actually showing me, but try.

PHILBERT
05-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Those are real. Usually they do not collapse that much, and tend to be very tough and thick and somewhat heavy.

IronFist
05-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Good, cuz mine are pretty solid. Pretty heavy, too. I don't know the weight, but they're heavier than my 16oz boxing gloves I just got. Hey, that reminds me of another thread I was going to make.

rubthebuddha
05-27-2004, 11:15 PM
ironfist -- think about it this way -- they're supposed to be burly enough to withstand a thai roundkick and not break the feeder's forearms -- and durable enough to last beyond a year or three. the fairtex ones we use do.

also think that these are part of the shin conditioning people get, particularly early in their muay thai careers, as they build up burly shins. eventually, you can kicking bamboo trees, but you gotta start somewhere.

Meat Shake
05-27-2004, 11:27 PM
The ones we use are about 14" long and at least 3 pounds apiece or so... They are pretty **** solid. Gene said the company he ordered them from went out of business though. :(

IronFist
05-27-2004, 11:45 PM
HELL YEAH I'M QUOTED IN RTB'S SIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I am the k3wl35+ m4n ev4R!

Pork Chop
05-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Nobody ever quotes me :(

They're supposed to feel like you're landing a kick on a dude's thigh with him just standing there and taking it.... or like some hot chick just gave u a hummer...

IronFist
05-28-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
Nobody ever quotes me :(

They're supposed to feel like you're landing a kick on a dude's thigh with him just standing there and taking it.... or like some hot chick just gave u a hummer...

Hmmm, yes, cuz those both feel similar :rolleyes: :confused: :D

Ford Prefect
05-28-2004, 08:52 AM
I think he means some hot chick ran you over with her hummer.

Pork Chop
05-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

Hmmm, yes, cuz those both feel similar :rolleyes: :confused: :D

You obviously haven't dropped too many guys from leg kicks....
that; or you don't know the similar wonderment of a hummer from a hot chick....

either way it's sad....
i weep for u

:(

EarthDragon
05-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Iron fist,
I have a pair that my student do nated to the school that he bought in Thailand, they are all hand made and are the hardest pads I ever felt. They are 1/8 inch leather and filled with sawdust and are sown with braded hemp rope, they almost feel like your kicking a tree!. I have used them in every class I teach for the last 8 years and they are showing minimum wear. The should not give too much or they will not stand up to the constant use. good luck